Looking for a coach? Apply here to work with Cam 1 on 1.

Quit for 90 Days!

77 posts in this topic

Posted

Congratulations Kad!

Posted

Congratulations!!! We will celebrate another 90 day soon ;)

2 people like this

Posted

I look forward to celebrating you guys success and your thoughts on the journey!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, the time has come. Today I finished my 90 day!! WOO!

It has been an amazing journey and I've learnt so much about myself plus the world around me. When you finally learn to switch off the computer or console, you will finally notice things you never had before. The birds singing, the trees blowing in the wind and more importantly your thoughts inside your head. For the first time in 17 years I started to acknowledge my feelings instead of shutting them away and gaming.

After a while I started to enjoy life outside of gaming and since I've done this detox games will never again have their hold on me. Below are some of the major things I've learnt whilst and gained whilst on this detox:

1. Discovered how I personally can achieve challenges. I tend to complete something when I'm only trying to focus on 1-2 things, If I try more than that I become burnt out and I struggle to complete anything.
  2. Increased Willpower. This is pretty self explanatory. Through this detox there have been times where I have struggled even when depressed and I still managed to push through. Normally I couldn't do this.
  3. Become Calmer. Every now and again I get agitated but no where near the amount I used to whilst gaming.
  4. Bonded with my Fiancee. The detox has given me a chance to actually sit down with the Mrs and watch films and talk with her. Even though towards the end we did start bickering a fair amount more ^^
  5. Clear Headed. I've definitely come out a lot more clear headed from this detox. I no longer wake up with a foggy head like a drug addict who has spend all night shooting up. (gaming)

Everything that I have learnt in this detox will be applied to other challenges in my life...heck I've even given up caffeine whilst on this detox! This detox is the best thing that I've done personally.

I just want to thanks every on this forum for all the support and I've met some amazing people here. Keep up the good work everyone! :) I'll still be around the forums and now I've done my detox I can focus on losing my fat.

Peace.

10 people like this

Posted

Congratulations on completing your detox :) Are you going back to playing moderately, or are you done with games forever? I like what you wrote about discovering things outside such as birds singing, these are really beautiful things. I love listening to the birds singing outside my window in the afternoon, birds are generally great as they can be observed through the window and as could not leave the house much due to my allergy, I could watch them through the windows and they inspired many a poem :) Though the thing which helped me to appreciate and rediscover the world outside was the book on creative writing by Barbara Baig and the freewriting and observation exercises she included. Are you interested in creative writing too? I recall that you have a blog?

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats on reaching 90 days Falky, I'm sure many more will follow :) . 

You gave me actually a good tip with number 1 on your list, right now I'm very busy with internships and school assignments and have like 4-5 big tasks at the same time. I am actually focussing on all those things at the same time and it makes me feel burnt out and having a big mountain to climb. I will try with focussing on 1-2 things, thanks for the tip I guess ;) .

1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulations on completing your detox :) Are you going back to playing moderately, or are you done with games forever? I like what you wrote about discovering things outside such as birds singing, these are really beautiful things. I love listening to the birds singing outside my window in the afternoon, birds are generally great as they can be observed through the window and as could not leave the house much due to my allergy, I could watch them through the windows and they inspired many a poem :) Though the thing which helped me to appreciate and rediscover the world outside was the book on creative writing by Barbara Baig and the freewriting and observation exercises she included. Are you interested in creative writing too? I recall that you have a blog?

Thanks! :D I'm going to be moderate gaming as of tomorrow. If things start to fall to the way side im not going to be shy of doing another detox :). As long as im always improving and gaming doesn't interfere with that, then it wont be a problem.

Congrats on reaching 90 days Falky, I'm sure many more will follow :) . 

You gave me actually a good tip with number 1 on your list, right now I'm very busy with internships and school assignments and have like 4-5 big tasks at the same time. I am actually focussing on all those things at the same time and it makes me feel burnt out and having a big mountain to climb. I will try with focussing on 1-2 things, thanks for the tip I guess ;) .

Cheers dude and haha no problem!

1 person likes this

Posted

Great job!! Congratulations on your success.  I especially like this part "For the first time in 17 years I started to acknowledge my feelings instead of shutting them away and gaming." One of these days I am going to have to spend time and figure out the quote function.  It is awesome to be on the other side of 90 but don't let slide all your gains and just let them keep on building!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yo Falky! Congrats on pushing those 90 days ! That's a frieking big achievement! Wish you all the luck that you need for your  future goals :)

Edited by Remigjus
1 person likes this

Posted

Well Ladies & Gentlemen, the time has come. Today I finished my 90 day!! WOO!

giphy.thumb.gif.07113933caad88590fad2859

1 person likes this

Posted

Today I've finished the 90 Day detox. 1st try and no gaming whatsoever. 

I say that less to brag about it and more to acknowledge that gaming isn't what holding me back in life.

I think I may be struggling with depression and anxiety disorders. These things may in fact be what keeps me from moving my life forward. When I try to plan for the future in any sort of meaningful way I get anxious and depressed. Anxious because of all the fears that come with growing up and being an adult, and depressed because I don't believe that I can do it.

I hope to one day find the courage to get help with it so that I can beat it.

But for now I celebrate an accomplishment. I set out to go 90 days without playing videogames and I have done just that.

I've invested more time with friends, learned how to be proactive in certain areas of my life, I've improved my musicianship, I've invested more time to family. These are all pretty positive things that have come from the detox that I will continue doing going forward.

@Cam Adair @Falky @Ironfly @Dannigan @WorkInProgress @hycniejsy @SpiNips

Everyone here has been super great. Thank you guys so much for your help in not only keeping me from gaming but listening to what I had to say as well.

Best of Luck everyone!

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Finished the detox a few days ago. WOHOO! :)

In the time i started working out more seriously and took up music again. That and i finally have some direction in my life again.

But I still have much to do. I have newfound confidence in my ability to actually do things.

Edited by TheJan
3 people like this

Posted

Finished the detox a few days ago. WOHOO! :)

In the time i started working out more seriously and took up music again. That and i finally have some direction in my life again.

But I still have much to do. I have newfound confidence in my ability to actually do things.

What do you think are the top 5 lessons you learned from the experience?

Posted (edited)

Hi everybody,

Today I have completed my 90 days detox! I am very proud of myself!  This is not the first time in my life when I am game free for 3+ months but it feels like the first where a relapse could be avoided at all or delayed for a very long time. Because I had previous relapses I started to question whether I can quit gaming at all and it's just part of me. It turns out I can do it: I broke my 2.5k hours of the dota2 streak (several relapses)! I am thankful to Cam for the community he created and for his weekly youtube videos, it helped a lot. Since it's my not firs t detox (previous were my own endeavors) at the beginning of this I started to think deeply again how to prevent future relapses. Any relapse it usually happens due to two reasons: lack of energy (too tired, too much stress, lack of sleep) and/or lack of big picture. Lack of energy is more important since your body affects your neuron connection and your willpower resource is depleted. This time, I decided to address both of this problem in a very simple scheme.

a. The key is to be happy, to feel better and achieve my big goals. This is correlated for me with happy faces = smiles.

b. To be well rested. This is correlated with meditation (best energy recovery for me so far).

The scheme is these: 

1) Print our the month calendar for current month 

2) Every day after meditation I draw eyes, after game-free day I draw smile => I draw smile face, otherwise, I need to draw unhappy faces (at the end of the day)

3) How it helps: every time you have the urgency to play you understand it violates your big picture of being happy, so you don't play. For me the idea to draw unhappy smile was just unbearable.

4) You can draw different happy faces all the time (reward variability).

This is scheme is consistent with the book "Hooked" (trigger->action (i.e. non-play) -> reward (happy smile, different each time) -> investment (collection of happy faces). In fact, I tried on my wife (for meditation) and my Mom (for physical exercise) and it can be applied for other types of positive form habits.  So, I hope you can use do improve your life after 90 days as well as to prevent relapses. 

Here is my example: 2016-07-10_16.47.28.thumb.jpg.916f8ffc8e 

What my key observation

1) I have found these 3 books most helpful: "Slight Edge", "Hooked" and "Willpower is not enough".  The last one is not from Cam's list but gives  a great perspective on the addiction in general, as well as a recovery process. 

2) Gaming addiction is lasting one, you will never be completely free since neuron's path is carved in your brain and just in "sleep mode". Always, be aware to not to wake it - i.e. by being well-rested and keeping big picture in your mind

3) "Usual" benefit of game-free life (similar to my previous experience) - a lot of energy, much-much calmer, higher willpower, better physical shape and clearness in my head, understanding the importance of big goals and means to them achieve, increased sexual drive and better relationship with loved ones.

4) "Small" decision does matter ("Slight Edge")!

5) I continue my guitar hobby and Toastmaster. I strongly recommend Toastmaster since it a) helps to find you like-minded people b) increase you confidence c) you might have many things to share with - the great environment to do so d) helps in your life and career d) you feel great progress in your speaking abilities after 4-5 speeches.

6) From the book of "resilience", true happiness is tri-color of pleasure, gratitude, and mastery. Every day I am thinking about at least one think what I got pleasure from (physical or intellectual), what I am grateful for and which area I am excelling in.

And again, I am grateful to Cam and hope to see him one day to say it personally (I live in Palo Alto and planning to visit San Diego  by summer of 2017). Keep do what you are doing, I am sure that you are great role model for many of us! I am looking forward how our community makes more and more people not only game-free but a better version of ourselves. Wish all of you find yourselves in real world!

Edited by SAINTRF
6 people like this

Posted

Hit me up next time you see that I'm coming to San Francisco. Love to meet up!