willardorwud

I can’t get over my gaming regrets

Hello, I can sympathize with you as I have similar regrets. The best advice I can give is to ride it out. Regret, like all emotions, passes with time. In the meantime, engage in activities that you can be proud of to replace gaming.

One other thing you can do to try to trick yourself if you really need a way through it is to tell yourself that maybe one day, when you can play games again without feeling like they're pulling you in uncontrollably, you'll go through those games. That day will come and you will probably tell yourself that you don't even care anymore at that time. Telling yourself that you'll play those games one day may help to relieve the feelings of regret.

I have an idea about this, that some other may point out as a bad idea, so I'm open to criticism. After deleting my gamesaves yesterday, I was thinking about how I'd miss some specific games, so I would never have "contact" with some stories and worlds again, or with some experiences or places that I'll never meet.

So I began to reflect on which of these things I could achieve in life with any equivalent activity. For example, if I'm never to play a racing game again, I can go karting. I am a competitive person, and the adrenaline of racing and competing with my friends while my whole body is involved is something else. Of course, some things we can't replicate: I really like the GTA series, and most of the actions featured in the game are awful, terrible and illegal, but I really liked how the games featured its cities. So, going to the biggest city nearby (Rio, which is a great city to visit, I must admit), driving in highway listening to good (old, or maybe not) music, hanging out and discovering new places could help me to get the same good emotions I had with the game.

Some other activities are:

• Playing an RPG (not an electronic one, but in real life, with friends, together around a table) - this one I need to know your opinions, is it a good idea?
  • Playing a sport - specially the sports that you miss to play electronically, at least if it is possible (well, I'll never be able to play American Football or drive in Formula One, but Flag Football and Karting are good options)
  • Having contact with pets. Or even with wild animals, in parks or zoos maybe.
  • Learning how to play the guitar or the keyboard/piano, or any other instrument. This will keep your fingers busy, and it's a special one for those who like Guitar Hero.
  • Practicing a martial art. This one is for those who enjoy fighting games. Why not try by yourself. You'll develop a skill that you'll never forget, and that will be deep inside your skin.
  • Playing paintball or softball. This one is trivial.
  • Reading a sci-fi or fantasy book. Well, we'll never find something like driving a spaceship or doing some magic against a dragon in real life. But when you begin to develop the habit of reading, at least if you read good books, books will become more interesting than games. I was reading a good book some time ago, and started to play a game that is based in another book. While playing this game, a thought came to me: "these cutscenes, and this whole clicking are boring, I'd better to read the book". Look, I wasn't doing a detox, but the simple fact of trying to read more helped me a lot. And it's not like I didn't have problems with gaming: Even if that one game wasn't getting all my attention, I used games as escapism, and reading was a way to combat it.
  • Maybe watching movies and series are a good option if you don't have issues with that (what is possible, since they're not interactive). It's a good option, though, to try to keep the watching pace at most as frequent as if the series were being released in TV like a normal series from 60's or 70's. Having all the episodes to watch at once is a big trap.

Well, I was searching for a topic where this could be useful. The goal here is to decrease the regret for not playing anymore. So if these hints are useful to anyone, please tell me, I'd be happy to know. And if any of these are not good, tell me too, so I can improve this.

My general regrets are all around spending money on sites like this. No, the services works fine and helped me to improve my gameplay...but I don't get why I spent money and didn't play myself.

Part of quitting is giving up 100s of pounds or dollars worth of stuff and regretting that we didn't do something differently but instead of dwelling on that we need to find something new to pour our attention into so try to find a new hobby you can get obsessed with tiny details of