Mohammad's Journal

This is the fourth days with no gaming. So far, I was doing great. Very productive and content. I wrote my feelings after the last relapse when I was feeling miserable. I am forcing myself to read that every day to remind myself what happens if I game again. I want to take this more seriously now because I think it is getting late - its been two years I am struggling with gaming. I cannot continue relapsing every 10 days and have to take things more seriously.

• Like 1
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started to quit gaming forever. I did it before, but I never managed to keep it up. It usually lasts for few days and then, I get back to my gaming habits. I hope this website and all the instructio

Day 4:   I did not play last night. My friends came by and after they left, I read for half an hour before going to bed. I am trying to focus on my long term goals and desires to block insta

What keeps bringing you back to gaming and what don't you like about gaming that keeps bringing you back to this website? I feel like you're in a cycle. 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Mohammad said:

Thank you @BooksandTrees. You are correct. I think I need to be guided in the direction by experienced users like you.  May I ask some personal questions to connect with you? questions like where you are from, how old are you and what is your education (do you hold a master degree?) and what are you doing at work? I was interested to know that you are a Structural Engineer. I am a geotechnical Engineer (still in school doing a PhD) and about to graduate. 

I kind of know why I am relapsing. I do not have the replacement for gaming. There are nights that I feel bored and I want to satisfy myself. when I doing well for a week or two, I think I deserve to satisfy myself with some fun. However, there is not much I can do at this time. The weather is getting cold here in Canada. It was easier in Summer; I used to go cycling every night. So in short, I need some serious boosts in pleasure that is available through gaming for me. The first few games I play after a two-week break is super fun. But, things turn out bad when I continue gaming and it gets out of control pretty soon. I ended up feeling miserable and useless after few days. The reason that I have to quit is also clear to me. I know gaming destroys me in all aspects of life, mentally and physically.  I feel very responsible for my life and my son's future.

As I explained, I know where this relapse is coming from, but I am not able to replace something to give me the same boosts of happiness, challenge and excitement. I appreciate if you can elaborate on this. 

Thank you.

I'll give a more in depth response this weekend. Studying for the pe exam right now. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Day 13:

The good news is that I did not play any game in the past two weeks 🙂

I had some urges in the past two days but I watched some movies instead. Overall, it was two weeks of hard work for me.

I know how dangerous it is to let myself slide so I am prepared. 

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, BooksandTrees said:

What are you doing instead?

Day 19:

Unfortunately, I do not have any hobbies! I am just working all my time, and the rest is with family. I often do 3-4 times workout per week and read about 30 mints per day. I received a job offer from a well-known company and quite excited about it. As such, I am keeping myself very busy with work (school work and internship) and looking forward to the new job. 

I know I cannot go on this route because I will burn out at some point. I don't know, I am just too busy to look around to find new hobbies!

There is one good thing I am doing. I am reviewing my feeling after the last relapse and it helps me to be mindful of it and keep the temptation away from me. My stem account will be removed in 11 days if I continue this detox, which is great.

• Like 1

Day 20 to 25: 

I played 1-2 hours on day 20. I have been doing okay and focusing on my daily routines in day 21 to 25. I know that there is a good chance that I play again in the next few days or weeks, so I should be very mindful of it. I am very bored. I am at home all day long. I cannot find any fun activity that really excites me. The only thing that keeps me straight is my positive outlook for the future, the responsibility that I have for my son and the joy of being with him. I think these are enough motivation for keeping me away from games.

Day 26 and 27:

No gaming and no temptation.  I think I am in the right direction. 

I registered for CELPIP exam, which is an English proficiency test I have to take to become a permanent resident in Canada. I also have to move out of this city to another city because of my new job. I am very excited. It is quite an improvement in my life.

The chance of keeping up with the detox is higher for me when I get busy in life. I am the type of person who is inclined to gaming whenever bored, inactive and have lots of freedom. So, I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life 🙂

• Like 1
On 11/12/2020 at 11:03 PM, Mohammad said:

Day 26 and 27:

No gaming and no temptation.  I think I am in the right direction. 

I registered for CELPIP exam, which is an English proficiency test I have to take to become a permanent resident in Canada. I also have to move out of this city to another city because of my new job. I am very excited. It is quite an improvement in my life.

The chance of keeping up with the detox is higher for me when I get busy in life. I am the type of person who is inclined to gaming whenever bored, inactive and have lots of freedom. So, I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life 🙂

Congrats on the new job and good luck with the exam. This is great news. 

• Like 1

Day 28,29, 30:

I am excited that I finally came to a month of detox. I had a good start with very little temptation. Tomorrow, my steam account will be deleted. This is the second time I am deleting my steam account though! I know that a relapse is always by  the door and I should watch for it very carefully.

The last time I relapse when I felt over confident. I thought I can play a few games and get back to work like normal. I did so but after a few days, I played again! Before long, I was immersed in gaming thinking day and night about it! I should be very mindful of my experience. I have learned that one game is enough to ruin my life for real. 

• Like 2

Congrats on your successful declutering month mate!

22 hours ago, Mohammad said:

The last time I relapse when I felt over confident. I thought I can play a few games and get back to work like normal. I did so but after a few days, I played again! Before long, I was immersed in gaming thinking day and night about it! I should be very mindful of my experience. I have learned that one game is enough to ruin my life for real. 

You just described me perfectly. I also always end up over confident, go back to video games thinking this time will be different, then I am gaming all the time. We are addicts, it sucks to admit that, but this is what we are.

• Like 1

Day 34,35:

I have not temptation. I am focused on my work and optimistic about the future. I did workout today. I was not meditating for  a while and I am going to meditate from today.

Covid-19 is rising and we are stuck at home. Thankfully, I have a good spirit because I am starting a new job from the coming week and I am very motivated and excited about it. 🙂

My thesis is still under review for examination and hopefully I will receive the examiners' comments by the end of next week.

• Like 1

Thanks @dasvira. Yes, I am much happier now. I know I will be very successful if I can live without gaming. however, I am scared of another relapse. The last time, I relapsed after 6.5 months! That was painful. I do not want to experience it again. Still, here and there, I feel some urges for gaming. It is very weak though. I am not sure how I can be sure that another relapse does not occur in my life. 

Day 36: no gaming. 

Edited by Mohammad