NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - Joe

wookieshark88

@Cam Adair, would you mind explaining what you mean by an abundance mindset?  I know what the words mean, but I'm not sure what to make of the phrase.

It may be true that an element of your nervousness to give up your income to go to school full-time comes from the fear that you will not have enough money, or that you are losing money and so forth. This is a scarcity mindset and comes from the belief that money is limited. It's easy to develop this type of thinking when you are in a job that gives you a paycheck every two weeks and you rarely receive a raise, and you really do have to budget and so forth - to be practical.

Money is in fact, made up. Money is limitless and it can be created. There is enough money in the world for everyone. So what I mean to suggest is that this is a good opportunity to embrace more of an abundance mindset. One where you are investing in your future and that you can trust that all the money you need will be there, whether that's short-term (now) or long-term (post-school.) There is no reason that you are unable to create all the money you could ever imagine. It's possible. And the first step is believing it to be so. Your actions follow your beliefs so if you believe you are only allowed to have a very limited amount of money, your actions will reflect the actions you need to take to only have a limited amount of money. The opposite is also true.

Read The Science of Getting Rich: PDF / AUDIO

cc: @kortheo

If we talk about riches, I'm reading a book advised by @AlexTheGrape, " Think and Grow Rich " by Napoleon Hill. I strongly recommend to read it!

I have that book on my kindle!  I read around a third of it before I got distracted by other books.  I'm still plugging away on the Slight Edge for now.

Today was a really good day.

Work was very productive and went by quickly.  The work was brainless so I just listened to podcasts all day long as I worked.  It was a good way to use my mind.

I had my appointment for my back after work.  It was great to have some treatment after a pretty painful day.  I'm supposed to limit how much I carry my baby though which sucks.  Despite the limitation, we still played together and had fun.  To cap it off, we all went for a walk when my wife got home from work.

I'm thankful for:

1. My wife for making lunch for tomorrow.
  2. Resting at the end of the day.
  3. Feeling better than I did yesterday.

Your work must be awesome, if you can listen to podcasts during it :)

I love taking walks. 

Nice reading your journal. 

I agree, but I don't have more reputations point to give :(

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

My job is pretty good.  I get paid well for what I do, but the corporate culture isn't really suited for me.  Once I complete my education, I'm going to go for a more advanced position in the company to build my resume for the next chapter in my career.

Today was good overall, but I got some bad news.

My uncle has been diagnosed with cancer cancer after suffering a significant stroke a few months ago.  This is a huge blow to my dad because they are so close.  I have many fond memories of my uncle, especially when my dad and him were together.  He brings out a youthful side of my dad that was all too rare.  I really hate seeing him degrade like he has.  He's only about 60 years old too.  Ugh.

My wife did great today as she just got the promotion that she applied for.  She's out to dinner with a friend that she doesn't get to see very often.  I've gotten everything around the house taken care of so she can just come home and relax too.  I'm happy that she's doing something nice for herself this evening.

I had fun playing with my baby this evening.  She's getting smarter and smarter which is amazing to watch every day.  We read a ton of books, ran around a bit, and talked to my parents on the phone.

That's it for me today as I'm emotionally drained from the bad news.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having a great uncle.
  2. Having quiet time with the cats now that the baby is asleep.
  3. Getting another significant task at work.  I'm honored that they trust me to do the work even though I'm taking my leave of absence in a month.  They won't regret it.

Hi Joe, I'm dropping by to say that your journal is awesome. Although I haven't finished reading it, I can already relate to many of the things you wrote.

I'll give a chance to meditation anytime soon!

Keep it up, mate!

Hi Joe, I'm dropping by to say that your journal is awesome. Although I haven't finished reading it, I can already relate to many of the things you wrote.

I'll give a chance to meditation anytime soon!

Keep it up, mate!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my journal.  I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have!

Today was an okay day.

I found out that my uncle most likely won't live to see next week.  I was able to talk to my aunt, his wife, for a while today.  I offered her some kind words, told her how much they mean to me, and listened for a while.  They, along with their two kids, are great people.  It's just a crappy part of life.  I'll always be happy that I knew him.

Work was decent.  I did my best to be productive all day, but I was having some software problems that rendered the second half of the day pointless.  Honestly, I'm not worried about it because I did my best.  The company will need to figure out their software issues and processes in order to get more out of me.  They may want to do that somewhat quickly because I'm going to school in September and I'm the lead person for my part of the work.

I had lots of fun with my baby after work like I usually do.  We played "catch" with her ball, read some books, and made a few jokes.  We then went on a nice long walk before I put her to bed.

I'm going to do some meditation as soon as I wrap this entry up.

I'm thankful for:

1. Talking to my aunt.  Even though it's just words over the phone, I want her to know that she's in my thoughts.
  2. Newman the squirrel for accepting his lot in life and eating from the squirrel feeder.
  3. The slight improvement in my sprained neck.

Today was a good day considering the sadness in my family at this time.

I've been writing journal entries about how my days are going, and they're more or less the same.  I want today's entry to be different.

My wife has been sensitive to the grieving that's going on in my family.  She told me that it's okay for me to grieve, and that she would be there to comfort me.  As our time together grows longer, she proves to be a quality wife and human being.  I will always aim to be worthy of her kindness.

I've been grieving in my own way so far and it hasn't involved any tears just yet.  I feel so badly for my uncle's wife, children, and my dad.  My dad is losing his best friend and is obviously devastated.  When they would hang out, I would see a rare kind of joy in my dad.  They understand each other so deeply and have since they grew up together so many years ago.  My uncle's kids are wonderful people as well who will dearly miss his deep love and devotion for them.  For me, he was a guy who helped me see some great traits in my dad despite our sometimes difficult relationship as I grew up.  The insights into my dad that he gave me played a big role in the healing between me and my dad over the years.  The world is a better place with my uncle in it, and I'm sad that will be coming to an end.

As much as this really sucks, I'm happy that there is no part of me that wants to deal with it by escaping into video games.  That doesn't mean that I will become complacent with my progress, but I can celebrate how far I've come.  My uncle has told me how proud he is of me, and I'm happy to say that I'm living in a way that justifies that pride.  I'll honor him by earning that pride throughout my life.

I'm thankful for:

1. Writing down my feelings today.  I needed to do that.
  2. My cats for being so kind to my baby.  She's sometimes not gentle with them, and they have shown patience while she learns.
  3. Meeting some really nice people in the neighborhood.  It's a great side effect of continuing with the walking habit.

I'm sorry for your loss, and hope things turns out okay for you guys. 

Thank you for your kind words.  Kind words have always provided me with comfort.

Today was a good day.

Work was fruitless today.  I've been encountering some bugs in our software that currently need to be worked out.  My company's IT and the software company's people are working on a solution.  In the meantime, my work computer has become a web surfing machine.  I talked to a coworker who has been struggling with his work, and I told him I would do whatever I can to help him out, especially if my task is unworkable.  I've been able to pry out a fair bit of knowledge from the technocrats in my work group, and will be happy to disseminate it to anybody who wants to know.  It's silly that some people treat knowledge like a zero sum commodity when we're just beginning a decades long project.  It'll be fun to empower some people, even if just a little bit, before I take my leave of absence.

After work, my family and I went to the farmer's market.  That was an absolute blast.  We had delicious food for dinner and picked up some beautiful produce.  My baby was very social and played with other kids for a good while.  I love seeing her develop her social skills.  She's good with sharing and never takes or pushes other kids.  It's nice to see that my lessons of being gentle and sharing are having an impact.

I'm thankful for:

1. Talking to my parents today.  They're hurting from the family's loss, but hearing my baby over the phone brought them some joy.
  2. The tomatoes that are almost ready to eat from my plant.  This will be the first time I ever eat my own produce!
  3. Finding somebody at work that I can help.  That's always been my favorite thing to do at work.

Today was such a blast.

We went to the beach today where we relaxed and played.  It was pretty hot today, but we had our beach tent set up which was great for taking breaks out of the sun.  My baby had an absolute blast playing in the sand and water too.  Like usual she befriended another little kid.

When we got home, our baby was pretty beat so we gave her dinner, took her for a walk, and put her to bead.  After that, we worked on our chores like laundry, gardening, and general cleaning.  Our dishwasher has been doing a terrible job at cleaning the dishes lately so I took it all apart and cleaned it out.  It was pretty horrifying to see what was lurking in the depths.  Now we have a bunch of dishes in there that I hope to see come out squeaky clean!  There's too much to do in life to be wasting time washing dishes by hand.

Dinner is being made, and I'm about to put some ice on my back to make sure it continues to get better.

I'm thankful for:

1. Going to a new beach.  I think it's going to become our main beach!
  2. Seeing a million smiles from my wife and baby today.  Life doesn't really get better than that.
  3. Relaxing with my cat after an active day.

A working dish cleaner makes a real difference! This is the most loved machine...(maybe but not surely after my computer ;))

The dish washer is working like new!  It's such a relief.

Today was a good day.

Work was just a normal and productive day.  I spent the day listening to Yale University lectures that were really interesting!  It's so cool that Yale puts course material online.

I made some fried rice for dinner and it was awesome.  I usually make it with half diced veggies and half rice because it's tastier and packed with vitamins that way.  Now I'm resting and icing my back because it's a little bit stiff and sore.

I did my meditation and walking today.  The Yale lectures are as good as reading too.  My habits have been maintained today.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having a wife who I can share goals and accomplishments with.
  2. Having fun cooking.
  3. Air conditioning.  It's been hot.

Great job Joe! :)

Thanks!  It's really a different animal to deal with being a year without games.  These days it's about avoiding complacency towards my goals, staying vigilant in avoiding games, and maintaining my life without the big highs and lows that come in the wake of a major life decision.  In our society, we're so used to stories ending in victory or defeat after a major struggle.  Because of this, I feel like were not used to thinking about what comes afterwards.  This can be seen with people who reach major milestones like graduation or retirement.  I think this is what ultimately made me want to revive my journal.  It's important for me to continue the journey that I started even though the original goal has been achieved.

Today was another good day.

Last night I dreamed about my old favorite game.  I've had an up tick in those kinds of dreams lately.  They always involve me really enjoying the game followed by being mortified that I had fallen back into old patterns.  It always takes me a while to realize that it was just a dream.  I would really love to never have those dreams again.

The Yale course that I've been listening to has been absolutely fascinating.  I can't get enough of it!  It makes work go by so much better, and I don't feel like it's a waste of my time at all.

Work itself was a normal day.  I'm ready to put that "normalcy" behind me.  I have had a request out to have some technical errors fixed for a month.  Nobody has paid any attention to it until today.  All of a sudden, I'm getting a bunch of phone calls, emails, and requests for status updates about it.  I keep telling the hoards of people inquiring that I was the one who initiated the request, and I can't tell them when I'll be provided with the information.  Nobody seems to understand that they should follow up with the people who are required to respond to my request.  This is par for the course at my job.

I'm thankful for:

1. Getting closer to my leave of absence.
  2. The fresh herbs from my yard that we used in our dinner.
  3. Not actually relapsing like in my dreams. 

Thanks!  It's really a different animal to deal with being a year without games.  These days it's about avoiding complacency towards my goals, staying vigilant in avoiding games, and maintaining my life without the big highs and lows that come in the wake of a major life decision.  In our society, we're so used to stories ending in victory or defeat after a major struggle.  Because of this, I feel like were not used to thinking about what comes afterwards.  This can be seen with people who reach major milestones like graduation or retirement.  I think this is what ultimately made me want to revive my journal.  It's important for me to continue the journey that I started even though the original goal has been achieved.

100%. I'm so happy that you are sticking around because for so many members they need examples of those who have gone beyond gaming. I know i've said it so many times but quitting is only step one. Living a meaningful life is what comes next - and that has many different areas to focus on.

Today was another good day.

I did meditation, walking, and am now working on my journal.  Work was an average day, which is a good thing.  I had fun with my baby and got her to bed nicely.  Afterwards, I did some cleaning around the house.

I finished listening to a whole semester of one of the online Yale courses.  It was phenomenal.  The professor who gave the lectures was so skillful in her narratives, progression, and especially the conclusion of the class.  I'll probably listen to it again at some point.

My back is healing nicely.  I had no sharp pain during my appointment today for the first time since my injury.  There's a general stiffness and occasional dull pain, but that's a world better than what it was.

I'm thankful for:

1. Having the house nice and clean before my wife got home.
  2. The new perspectives I've gained from reading and listening.
  3. The reputation I have with my boss at work for being a diligent worker who is invested in self improvement.

Always an inspiration Joe. It's awesome to see you active around here again, and that activity not being bad news. You're one of the most appreciated members of this family of ours, and with good reason. Cam usually refers to your journey in his work and it's being a pleasure and an honor to help extend that story throughout the world by any means possible. From a blockbuster writer you're just the average Joe (hehe, see the pun... okay sorry) but you're right, life is not a high-budget movie with explosions and random chinese sayings. In doing nothing extraordinary each day, you've become someone completely extraordinary. Bless you man.

Edited by Hitaru

Always an inspiration Joe. It's awesome to see you active around here again, and that activity not being bad news. You're one of the most appreciated members of this family of ours, and with good reason. Cam usually refers to your journey in his work and it's being a pleasure and an honor to help extend that story throughout the world by any means possible. From a blockbuster writer you're just the average Joe (hehe, see the pun... okay sorry) but you're right, life is not a high-budget movie with explosions and random chinese sayings. In doing nothing extraordinary each day, you've become someone completely extraordinary. Bless you man.

You seriously honor me with your words.  When people compliment me like you have just done, I always use it as an inspiration to live up to those words.  I promise I won't be doing any Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle style flameouts on you.  Bless you too!

Today was another average day with successful habits.

I have a nice little meditation streak going again.  The momentum I've built by restarting my journal and reading around the forums a bit has given me the extra bit of motivation I needed to not hit the snooze button and meditate in the morning.  Meditation is such a nice little treat for my mind.  All I need to do is make the easy choice of doing it.

As I slowly make my way through the Slight Edge again, I found my favorite passage in the whole book.  "Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around."  I've been using that phrase a lot over the last year to fuel my progress in life.  The funny thing is that I completely forgot that I first read it in the Slight Edge.  It's been my theme through this whole journey.  In my past, I have had other sayings that I have collected during periods of crisis and the personal growth that accompanied it.  I think I'll just list them so that I have them all in one place.

• Mistakes in life are inevitable.  It's what you do afterwards that makes all the difference.
  • Anxiety is a terrible motivator.
  • Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around.

I guess those are the three main Joe proverbs so far in my life.  I'm interested to find out what the next one will be.

I'm thankful for:

1. Taking a shower after a long day.  I took two walks in the gross heat today so washing off was such a great feeling.
  2. The internet.  I've used it today to share my journey, gain inspiration, stay current on world events, listen to world class educators, and unwind with a show.
  3. The healthy dinner that I'm about to eat.

Today was a really good day.

After work, we went to a new Mexican restaurant that opened up within walking distance of our house.  It was pretty good, and I think we'll be going back at some point.  From there, we went to the farmer's market to pick up some fresh veggies to batch cook for next week.  We wrapped up the day by going for a nice hike.  I'm really tired so I'm just going to keep this short.

I'm thankful for:

1. Seeing some fantastic journals around this site.  I love that we're not alone in our game quitting adventures.
  2. Getting some things done today that I've been trying to accomplish for a few months.
  3. Relaxing with my wife and cats right now.

This weekend was great.

We were able to do the farmer's market, hiking, the beach, and chores.  We were very mindful to not rush and just enjoy all of it.  Sometimes we get caught up in trying to pack way too much into a few days and it takes away from the time.  I've found that being consistent in my efforts combined with good prioritizing and realistic expectations is the best way to go.

Now that I'm going to be going to school in a few weeks, I find that I'm appreciating my work a little bit more.  It's a nice feeling that I didn't really expect to have.  I'm ready to give it my best effort this week at work to make sure that I leave on the best terms possible.

I'm thankful for:

1. The weather cooling down a bit after quite a few days over 90 degrees.
  2. Learning more life lessons on a regular basis.
  3. Not having any video game dreams for a while.