NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

No useless videos for 90 days.

Yan

Entry 12.11

Day 415: No Useless Videos
Day 414: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 17: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 7: Being in bed before 23:15

3 Things I did right, no matter how small.
-10 pomodoros (Day 51) - 
-Late only for 10 minutes at workout and 5 minutes to get into shower. (Because of going to poop)
-7 full hours of deliveries.
1 Thing I could do better
-Plan the tasks that should be cut in the middle if not completed within timeframe and those that don't.
For example cleaning up room and finances may be cut in middle
Blog, and workouts not.
Bust best of all manage all of them if I already plan for it

Where I saved time
75 Saved Minutes Since I awas late 15, and 90 is the average

• Like 1

Yan, i think your journal is getting more and more crazy. First you controlled your eating by measuring everything you eat. Now its not enough anymore but you have to control time you use for preparing food and eating too. What next? Let me guess. Less food, less time for eating, more exercise, more counting of days, more restrictions, more control, more limits and so on. Always less food. Sounds healthy and balanced life. Also deeply disappointed to this forum since there is nobody to be brave enough to address these issues. Yan, have you ever heard about eating disorders? Anorexia etc. Maybe you should spend few pomodora session for looking some information. Btw, I have never realized that having a poop can be a lost of time. Mind blowing.

• Like 2

Entry 13.11

Day 416: No Useless Videos
Day 415: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 18: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 8: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Day 52) - 
-Offering neighbor's kid to make a delivery for me (the groceries that are very expensive while ordering) even though he said no.
-Making a grocery order for two weeks
-When apartment mate offered to pay me in the morning for the groceries I bought for him, postpone it, since it cost me 10 minutes and a delay quite early in the day, which I believe was partly the cause for making deliveries 6.5 hours out of 7

Where I saved time
Again having planned the day the day before in advance, I only have been late by 30 minutes to leave for delivery time
(10 minutes talking to apartment mates in the morning, some 10 cooking food, washing some unplanned pot instead of leaving it for the washing machine, and another 10 or so because of organizing not very effectively to leave for deliveries and talking to neighbor I guess. 60 Saved Minutes (30 lost)

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 10:16 PM, Vee said:

Out of curiosity, why do you frame these things as "lost time"?

Hey Vee, simply because I didn't accomplish the thing I planned. So long as I don't do what I planned to do, it's considered a distraction for me. Thanks for taking the time to ask 🙂

On 11/12/2023 at 3:45 PM, FDRx7 said:

I've been meaning to ask this question, too. I noticed @Yan you mention lost time for things like completing your GQ entries and putting on clothes. Does this mean you lost time during those activities by dillydallying/getting distracted, or that you consider the act itself to have been lost time?

The first 🙂 I consider it a distraction, not planning well enough to fit into the alloted time.

• Like 1

Entry 14.11

Day 417: No Useless Videos
Day 4165: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 19: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 9: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Day 53) - 
-When it began rainng in the middle of a pomodoro and mushrooms were drying in the sun, not stopping pomodoro for it, rather waiting and then drying them up which resulted in less deviation from schedule than if i were to stop the pomodoro in the middle
-Back home at 22 04 approx to make time for GQ and plan tomorrow 🙂
-Having planned for more things to attempt when ordering groceries (Look for someone to do delivery or purchase from another place a completion of what is lacking

Where I saved time
70 minutes late to begin deliveries
In approximation - 20 minutes more then planned for organizing to go out of house
20 more minutes because my regular compost place was not available
about 20 more for preparing food and 10 more because of mushroom drying

All hose are rough estimates

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, Pochatok said:

I'm curious as to what your conception of "lost time" is. As I've been reading more of "Time Management For Mortals", which talks in length about our perception of time itself as a commodity that is "spent" on future, I find myself distancing from concept of "lost" time.

Cuz honestly, it is up to me in the moment whether time is "lost" or not. I am always doing something with it, it doesn't just sink through. 

And also, darn it, some things do feel like a "waste", where I certainly could have and should have chosen to act/be differently. For me, the line is drawn on whether I am present and actively making a choice to engage. When playing games, I loose awareness. When cooking without music/podcast/other low-commitment task, I tend to tense up and spiral into dark thoughts. Both of those tendencies are not active choices, and therefore I feel regret. 

But every time I make a conscious, intentional, honest choice... I cannot consider it "wasted" time, because I simply didn't know better. Humility is a wonderful feeling, do you think so?

As I've just replied to the two guys who commented before you, I consider  time "lost when |I deviate from what I've planned beforehand

Maybe time doesn't just "sink" but if you use it to pick your nose instead of working out it may lead over-time to harming your health for example

The amount of how much you are aligned with your moral values is usually measured by how much you follow what you've planened beforehand in my opinion.

I agree it's not "wasted" if you make it intentional. Although I do still acknowledbge that I didn't meet my criteria and goals, and need to continue looking for ways to improve

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, Yan said:

-When it began rainng in the middle of a pomodoro and mushrooms were drying in the sun, not stopping pomodoro for it, rather waiting and then drying them up which resulted in less deviation from schedule than if i were to stop the pomodoro in the middle

To echo @visitor's concerns in a gentle way, I am curious about your prioritization of pre-determined control instead of making choices in the present moment. If this were to happen to me, I'd immediately drop the task to take care of the mushrooms (in my rationale, I'd be avoiding the problem and therefore making it worse, and then dedicating more time to the task of drying as a result). But it seems that for you, having the past be in control of your present is the preferred way of choice-making. How come?

• Like 1

Entry 15.11 (Written on 16.11)

Day 416: No Useless Videos
Day 415: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 18: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 8: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Day 52) - 
-Take food with me on the way in order to not be late for a meeting
-Stating my doubts out loud in regards to some procedures in the company that seem dishonest to me in front of the others

-Remember to avoid the "5 minute lay in bed lure"

Edited by Yan
  • Like 1

Entry 16.11

Day 417: No Useless Videos
Day 416: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 19: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 9: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Day 53) - 
-Take nuts with me this time on the go, which do not spill and being on time for the job course
-Even though i was practically just falling asleep for 6 pomodoros or so, continuing to do my best to concentrate and not hopping to bed which resulted in being on time to evening apartment meeting too
-When planning day for the same day, plan in less general units, like i'm used to in the daily schedule, not the weekly schedule

Food Schedule update:
Everything stays the same as described on 11.10, but witout spinach and without replacing rice when it runs out if it runs out.

Edited by Yan
Food schedule update
  • Like 1

Thanks Pochatok. I read an article about eating disorders today. Yan, you have it all. Hope you will be smart enough to seek some professional help and by that I don’t mean some random ”life coach” or ”mentor” giving monthly or weekly ”coaching calls” for nothing. Your journal is a perfect example why apps like Cronometer should have never been invented. Anyways, I think I had my share of Game Quitters for now. Peace.

Entry 17.11

Day 418: No Useless Videos
Day 417: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 20: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 10: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Actually 12) (Day 54) - 
-20 Deliveries (6 hours)
-Preparing Lentils and quinoa for a week
-Cut the portobello with a cutting board instead of with hands I believe it'd be faster

Lost time:
6 teeth water
7 clean room wash clothes
13 prep food
47 during pomodoros
and 25 prepare to leave
Overall
98 minutes

Edited by Yan
OOps , translated some spanish to english
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:10 PM, visitor said:

Yan, i think your journal is getting more and more crazy. First you controlled your eating by measuring everything you eat. Now its not enough anymore but you have to control time you use for preparing food and eating too. What next? Let me guess. Less food, less time for eating, more exercise, more counting of days, more restrictions, more control, more limits and so on. Always less food. Sounds healthy and balanced life. Also deeply disappointed to this forum since there is nobody to be brave enough to address these issues. Yan, have you ever heard about eating disorders? Anorexia etc. Maybe you should spend few pomodora session for looking some information. Btw, I have never realized that having a poop can be a lost of time. Mind blowing.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. 
You need not worry.
I measure myself almost every two weeks to make sure I have fine weihght, if i don't I, I change that in the schedule.
I do blood tests regularly, if they show anything wrong i change that in the schedule and that changes (That's what happens when you are in control and not letting circumstances control you)
I have been to a diagnosis with a food disorder center, because I thought i had one, but not the one you think. I thought I had BED. They all said I don't but that i'm more in the OCD spectrum so stay calm. My health is definitely taken care of 😉

And yes, poop can be a lost time if you do it not in the devoted timeframe. What seperates us from animals is our ability to control impulses in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Entry 18.11

Day 419: No Useless Videos
Day 418: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 21: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 11: Being in bed before 23:15

-10 pomodoros (Actually 12) (Day 55) - 
-20 Deliveries (about 6 hours)
-Back home at 22 05
-Stick to timeframe of answering comments here on GQ =/

Lost time:
Generally started deliveries about 1 hour late, so I guess we could say that there's 1 hour lost.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:53 AM, Pochatok said:

To echo @visitor's concerns in a gentle way, I am curious about your prioritization of pre-determined control instead of making choices in the present moment. If this were to happen to me, I'd immediately drop the task to take care of the mushrooms (in my rationale, I'd be avoiding the problem and therefore making it worse, and then dedicating more time to the task of drying as a result). But it seems that for you, having the past be in control of your present is the preferred way of choice-making. How come?

Indeed, I believe that if you decide something earlier, it is usually more rational. When you decide in the moment it is more emotional. Often the rational is closer to your real moral long-term values, that is my opinion, and the opinion of Nir Eyal and some others like Stephen Covey, that's why you're making schedules 🙂

• Like 2

Entry 19.11 (Written on 20.11)

Day 420: No Useless Videos
Day 419: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 22: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 12: Being in bed before 23:15

-Having taken the large step of quitting the course of my potential phone sales job. That is because they are requesting to present as speaking from Canada instead of Israel (They say it's to avoid people quitting the sale just because of racism, which probably does happen a lot, but I don't care, if those people want to avoid the sale because of that, let them. It is not an excuse for lying)
Back to Job search.
-5 Hours of searching jobs approximately (Calls, CV sending)
-10 pomodoros (Day 56) 
-Leave time for a nap after lunch, maybe it will help me avoid that super extra sleepiness, which just swallowed about 5 of my pomodoros

Lost time:
1 hour approx unplanned nap
1 hour approx - late from workout, being too chill when preparing dinner and speaking with apartment mate
2 hours approx

• Like 2

Entry 20.11 (Written on 21.11)

Day 421: No Useless Videos
Day 420: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 23: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 13: Being in bed before 23:15

-9 pomodoros of job search(Calls, CV sending etc.+ setting 1 meeting)
-1 hour workout (Main set 40 minutes)
-When I saw that I missed the two alarms I've set on the nap, and am not managing to finish the 10 pomodoros, still getting up, doing the 1 pomodoro I had time left for, and keeping it positive with what I may do going forward, which is reset the streak and go forward doing my best
-Set alarm clock on phone and two watches, not just 1 watch.

Lost time:
2 hour approx unplanned nap
about 20 minutes late from workout
2 hours 20 minutes approx

Edit: 
To be more precise it's 1 hour 40 minutes because I did plan 40 minutes for a nap

Edited by Yan
As stated under "Edit:"
  • Like 2

Entry 21.11 

Day 422: No Useless Videos
Day 421: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 24: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 14: Being in bed before 23:15

-Going for a potential job meeting
-10 pomodoros
-being back home at 22 05 approximately(back from deliveries)
-Plan for the "interviewer" being late and prepare a backup plan, instead of just staring into space.

Lost time:
about 30 minutes  because of cooking a bit long and sliding a bit out of workout time and shower 
about 1 hour late from the interview because it began 30 minutes later than I planned and lasted 30 minutes longer.
1 hour and 30 minutes approx

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, visitor said:

Thanks Pochatok. I read an article about eating disorders today. Yan, you have it all. Hope you will be smart enough to seek some professional help and by that I don’t mean some random ”life coach” or ”mentor” giving monthly or weekly ”coaching calls” for nothing. Your journal is a perfect example why apps like Cronometer should have never been invented. Anyways, I think I had my share of Game Quitters for now. Peace.

Brother, I strongly disagree.
Maybe Cronometer is not 100% accurate, but it is based on deep research and RDA's.
It seems to me like you're desperately trying to justify the undisciplined life to yourself. Because if you don't have exact measurements to count on, then you may let free reign to the "immediate pleasure" self.
But I believe you came here to this forum exactly to fight that part of yourself. Think about it...

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:12 AM, Yan said:

Thanks for taking the time to comment. 
You need not worry.
I measure myself almost every two weeks to make sure I have fine weihght, if i don't I, I change that in the schedule.
I do blood tests regularly, if they show anything wrong i change that in the schedule and that changes (That's what happens when you are in control and not letting circumstances control you)
I have been to a diagnosis with a food disorder center, because I thought i had one, but not the one you think. I thought I had BED. They all said I don't but that i'm more in the OCD spectrum so stay calm. My health is definitely taken care of 😉

And yes, poop can be a lost time if you do it not in the devoted timeframe. What seperates us from animals is our ability to control impulses in my opinion. 

What I've always admired in some people is the ability to push/discipline themselves so well and yet find the effort from within at almost any time to give rational, philosophical responses at a moment's pause. Except for during a couple of personal crises, I've usually had to maintain focus and apologise, saying "I couldn't talk" in the present or future. You also stayed kind and positive, Yan - bonus points.

I think, - and this is what I wanted to talk about - yeah, the planning us people have learnt to do/have been trained to has to be one of the main reasons we seem to 'run' the planet. Most of what I've always wanted is for order to reign over chaos in daily life, if not long-term. But another reason we were able to create structures had to be because we are social 'animals'. We plan to get together, but we also simply bump into one another. I argue that we need both. The single act of putting off impulse (or even instinct?) isn't a virtue alone, is it? Let's be clear, even with everything that has and hasn't happened with me this year, I have avoided many, many and most short-lived impulses.

But here's an experience of mine from yesterday (LONG DETAILS 😮) - after 4-5 hours seated (I usually limit that to 3 before a walk/more exercise), I got myself up and ready despite a lot of inertia, and started hill-climbing at the park (4 walks and 4 jogs of 50 metres). I even thought before I ventured out that it would be nice if I had friendly company, and sure enough, there was - in the form of a guy my age jogging up and down the same hill with his shirt off. This would have been a great opportunity, but he took out his phone during his descents, and wouldn't show notice of me, even when I smiled, made eye contact and started to jog when we had reached the bottom at the same time. 

^ So an impulse I got was to take my shirt off too, and stay 2 metres away by his side. The thing is, 13 odd years ago when I had started jogging regularly, I was out with my dad and his mate, and I told them "no matter how 'good' I end up looking, I'll never run around with my shirt off" (I would stay humble). I didn't remember those words immediately, but as I left early without my benchmark of 10 jogging-climbs completed, I sort of knew. I chose social contract over a personal goal for the day. It still made me feel like I'd failed, but mostly because I decided that I wasn't going to look bad (unfit) in public next to this other person - I went to gym 6 times in the last 9 days, for significant lifting, unplanned, so I have been tired. Still, if everyone in my position pushed themselves to the degree that they alone were fully satisfied with their achievements, I don't imagine there would be more encouraged order than chaos for people just 'observing'. It would be entertaining, but medium and long-term balance sets a better example, than constant short-term competition, in my opinion.

EDIT: P.S. I also probably sit on the can for too long in the morning, but I decide each time that it's better to make sure I'm finished before wiping and having to sit down and then wipe again if it turns out I'm not. 😅

Edited by wheatbiscuit
  • Like 1

Entry 22.11 (Written on 24.11)

Day 423: No Useless Videos
Day 422: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 25: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 15: Being in bed before 23:15

-I had a 15 minute plan to cook before 8 pomodoros block and then a 15 minute pause without a plan for it, so, Instead of cooking before I moved the pause a bit forward in order to make a potential job place call, and used the next pause for cooking in order to not burn 15 minutes. (It's a positive even though I moved away from schedule a bit)
-2.5 hrs resumes and phonecalls
-Writing schedule for both today and tomorrow
-Be less chill during pomodoros.

Lost time:
Falling a bit behind on diary entry's so omiting this for today (These excuses man....)

Edited by Yan
I copy pasted some text from a text doc so It was left as a duplicate. Now I removed it
  • Like 1

Entry 23.11 (Written on 24.11)

Day 425: No Useless Videos
Day 424: Sticking to Food schedule
Day 27: Eating Only between 06:30 and 19:00 (Last bite before 19:00)
Day 17: Being in bed before 23:15

-Holding poop for about 3 hours so that I could make it during visualization time and not deviate from schedule
-At the end of one pomodoro I accidentally started the break without documenting its time, which made me doubt I completed a full 25 minutes, so I did 1 additional pomodoro(making it 11)
-Writing schedule for tomorrow in the morning
-Either remove the right clothespin from my mask which makes the mask go right into my eye during riding or try to put another one to balance it out on the second side. Stop allowing it to rub my eye

Time lost:
30 minutes because of the 1 additional pomodoro as described above (approximately)
20 min because of preparing food (approximately)
10 min being late from workout in the morning (approximately)
Total: about 60 minutes

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:12 PM, wheatbiscuit said:

What I've always admired in some people is the ability to push/discipline themselves so well and yet find the effort from within at almost any time to give rational, philosophical responses at a moment's pause. Except for during a couple of personal crises, I've usually had to maintain focus and apologise, saying "I couldn't talk" in the present or future. You also stayed kind and positive, Yan - bonus points.

I think, - and this is what I wanted to talk about - yeah, the planning us people have learnt to do/have been trained to has to be one of the main reasons we seem to 'run' the planet. Most of what I've always wanted is for order to reign over chaos in daily life, if not long-term. But another reason we were able to create structures had to be because we are social 'animals'. We plan to get together, but we also simply bump into one another. I argue that we need both. The single act of putting off impulse (or even instinct?) isn't a virtue alone, is it? Let's be clear, even with everything that has and hasn't happened with me this year, I have avoided many, many and most short-lived impulses.

But here's an experience of mine from yesterday (LONG DETAILS 😮) - after 4-5 hours seated (I usually limit that to 3 before a walk/more exercise), I got myself up and ready despite a lot of inertia, and started hill-climbing at the park (4 walks and 4 jogs of 50 metres). I even thought before I ventured out that it would be nice if I had friendly company, and sure enough, there was - in the form of a guy my age jogging up and down the same hill with his shirt off. This would have been a great opportunity, but he took out his phone during his descents, and wouldn't show notice of me, even when I smiled, made eye contact and started to jog when we had reached the bottom at the same time. 

^ So an impulse I got was to take my shirt off too, and stay 2 metres away by his side. The thing is, 13 odd years ago when I had started jogging regularly, I was out with my dad and his mate, and I told them "no matter how 'good' I end up looking, I'll never run around with my shirt off" (I would stay humble). I didn't remember those words immediately, but as I left early without my benchmark of 10 jogging-climbs completed, I sort of knew. I chose social contract over a personal goal for the day. It still made me feel like I'd failed, but mostly because I decided that I wasn't going to look bad (unfit) in public next to this other person - I went to gym 6 times in the last 9 days, for significant lifting, unplanned, so I have been tired. Still, if everyone in my position pushed themselves to the degree that they alone were fully satisfied with their achievements, I don't imagine there would be more encouraged order than chaos for people just 'observing'. It would be entertaining, but medium and long-term balance sets a better example, than constant short-term competition, in my opinion.

EDIT: P.S. I also probably sit on the can for too long in the morning, but I decide each time that it's better to make sure I'm finished before wiping and having to sit down and then wipe again if it turns out I'm not. 😅

Long comment that is. It will probably take me a few days to answer. 😄 Thanks a lot for taking the time!