NEW VIDEO: Letting go of gaming

14 hours ago, Vera said:

Well, life hit me when things were going alright. Something personal happened, colleague got sick and I have to take on her load, and it made me mad and irritated. I was trying to change my perspective, look at it from above like Stoics, but it isn't easy to adapt this way of thinking when you already need it in the middle of emotional distress.

It is hard to ignore little things when your mind isn't properly trained and ready to meet any misfortune. The more I learn about Stoicism the more I understand that you can't just use their tricks and then go on with your life like nothing happened. Philosophy is a greedy lady, she takes all you've got, but gives you twice as much. Still hard to accept. I think that if I add logical thinking to the mix (which is going to take away more of mental bullshit in my head) it's going to make me a different person. 

100%. It's a bit scary to practice something before you actually understand the benefits of it, but I guess that is just life. I go to practical philosophy courses every Monday and they are great.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, Vera said:

Well, life hit me when things were going alright. Something personal happened, colleague got sick and I have to take on her load, and it made me mad and irritated. I was trying to change my perspective, look at it from above like Stoics, but it isn't easy to adapt this way of thinking when you already need it in the middle of emotional distress.

It is hard to ignore little things when your mind isn't properly trained and ready to meet any misfortune. The more I learn about Stoicism the more I understand that you can't just use their tricks and then go on with your life like nothing happened. Philosophy is a greedy lady, she takes all you've got, but gives you twice as much. Still hard to accept. I think that if I add logical thinking to the mix (which is going to take away more of mental bullshit in my head) it's going to make me a different person. 

Sorry to hear about work again. It's just another sign to find something new. You might even be able to find something similar to this for some time until you're ready to get that big job you've been working and studying towards.

Your post is very interesting. Stoicism is great... if we are all 100% spiritual beings. But we are human, and we have needs, and we live in a physical manifestation with limitations. 

There is a balance between human - being. Animal - spirit. 

Yes accept your situation and do not judge it. But please make changes, as I feel as if you are being taken advantage of. 

Hope things get better. Have a beautiful day. 

@Ikar I'm curious! What kind of things do you discuss on these courses?

@BooksandTrees things are weird at work.. Company is losing quite a lot of contracts with city, something around 20%. People are quite upset but I couldn't care less, there were signs two years ago but nobody has taken action, so it was bound to happen. I doubt that will open any eyes to the crisis in upper management, but it doesn't concern me much as well.

@Icandothis it's not very spiritual. I'd say stoicism has lots of very down-to-earth practical things I can pick up and benefit from.

Earphones that my ex gifted to me last year broke two days ago. They lasted almost exactly one year and I'm glad to get rid of them. Bought wireless ones, still getting used to them. I'm no audiomaniac, all I need is to listen to audiobooks and occasionally some music. I'm satisfied.

My habit tracker is very pretty this month. I'm doing much better. After so many health problems I finally feel like I'm good again. Time to study programming, gotta use my time wisely!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vera said:

I'm curious! What kind of things do you discuss on these courses?

So far, we discussed myths from ancient Greece - Socrates and Plato, as well as Indian ones.