Tom2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S3_SHARE_2.thumb.png.f4f7eaa439c1dba7909

Day 10 was good

<Gratitude list>

1. I'm glad that I can take online lecture for civil engineering.

2. I'm grateful for the shower after exercising.

3. I'm grateful for the fact that I could deal with doubt in myself with more ease.

S3_SHARE_4.thumb.png.b53ace0521e1d613781

Day 11 was great

- It was productive. I'm happy right now. I want to sleep as it's 12 am. 

<Gratitude>

1. I had pizza this evening.

2. I have 2 months of vacation.

3. I can drink water whenever I want. lol

S3_SHARE_5.thumb.png.606c6e29f5aed0e8528

Day 12

- It wasn't a productive day. I'll do better on Sunday.

- My mom got mad because I didn't do the dishes right after we had dinner. I was tired for some reason and it wasn't an important thing that has to be done right away. So It was irritating. She used some bad words to me. I just ignored because I wanted to get rest. (I did the dishes after getting rest. Can't understand why I have to do that 'right away'. Perhaps my perfectionism is influenced by my mom.)

<Gratitude>

1. Mom and I enjoyed watching <Dark knight rises> while having dinner.

2. I went back to English academy. It was good to meet instructor again.

3. I'm relieved because there's Sunday.

Yeah I have exactly same experience with my mom and grandmother. Everything must be done now! Not later. This way I was manipulated when I was younger. These days I laughing at them and making things whenever I want.

Edited by Onlysoul
grammar baby

S3_SHARE.thumb.png.9a997790f519373a253c7

Day 13

- Quite good. I made a plan to finish the online lecture for civil engineer certificate, within 60 days. I want to finish 'surveying' part in 10 days. I'm not sure whether I can finish the whole lecture. However, it would be worthwhile if I finish 70-80% of the goal. No perfectionism. I split the big goal into small ones.

<Gratitude>

1. I didn't waste the whole day even if it wasn't perfect day.

2. Roasted beef that my mother made this evening was great.

3. Glad to read Onlysouls' reply.

How do you keep yourself motivated to study for so long during one day? I think you could teach me a few tricks! I get distracted too easily.

I have three methods. I also get distracted easily when I study. I'm an amateur in learning something but I hope these tips could help you.

1. Making my own note : I make my own notes using Google Docs. Usually, studying was just consuming contents for me. I got bored quickly when I just read text and solve some questions. So I made my own note. It was very interesting and fun because it helped me to organize thoughts. Every textbooks are not perfect. I don't have to read the whole text in those so I can summarize the subject easily with Google Docs. It's very easy to edit the documents so it's more powerful than paper notes. And I can review the things that I've learned through this, anywhere because I don't have to carry bunch of papers. I only need a cellphone. Sometimes I can share my notes with my friend and it's also very joyful to work on it together. It's similar to wikipedia or open source things.

2. Studying with video courses : I can manage my time easily with video courses. When I watch something that I already know enough, I can skip the time. It's very flexible. It also helps me stay focused because I can skip when I get bored.

3. Studying with other people : It's more active than just studying alone as I and others can discuss when we have questions. It's specifically adaptable to learn something via team project. When I study with other people, I get more responsibility so I can focus more.

+ pomodoro technique is also a good trick to be productive.

S3_SHARE_1.thumb.png.26a6af190ab0021d968

Day 14

- Today was quite ok, but I need to study more tomorrow. I must.

<Gratitude>

1. Fixed some electric stuff in my parent's apartment.

2. It rained cats and dogs.

3. There was a pair of sandals in the closet.

Edited by Tom2
grammar

S3_SHARE_2.thumb.png.e6b7adb0ee33589be3a

Day 15

- It was a lazy day. I always think about the amount of works to do before I even start. And that makes me tired. That makes me seek something that entertains me. I should start studying right away when I sit on the chair, but it's not easy.

S3_SHARE_3.thumb.png.8b76e895d8106c4888d

Day 16 was good.

- Started 'habitica' and set up a new goal. Studying 4 or 6 hours everyday. I really need to increase the time. I can study 4 hours a day without much effort but studying 6 hours is not easy for me yet. I want to make the blue line rise. The graph doesn't look good until now, but I will change it. The red graph is not that important because it also includes productive tasks. The important thing is the blue graph! Whoa there were a lot of days when I didn't study during the spring semester... I must change. The reason why I decided to use habitica is I found myself being lazy when I sit on a chair. I should start studying as soon as possible after I sit, but I feel always bored and lose momentum when I try to open a textbook. I should be 110% into civil engineering, but I keep looking back. I've already decided to keep studying but I sway too often.

S3_SHARE_4.thumb.png.61eea2f832146035ffd

- I joined a group where people who are interested in getting civil engineer certificate gather. I couldn't find any of my friends trying to get one, so I had no choice but to find similar people on the internet. I will talk to them more and ask some questions.

Edited by Tom2
graph

S3_SHARE.thumb.png.8b08ed2914ccd3f6fff05

Day 17

- Ok... I wasn't decisive today. I already made the choice, but I keep looking back. It's time to stop. I thought about gaming in moderation today, but I made the conclusion that I can't control myself. It's proven by my journals, relapse thread, and experience. It's time to let it go. I need to focus now. One good thing is that I made up my mind. Another good thing is that I didn't play video games even though I had craving and nostalgia. Nothing much to say. I didn't like to leave this post, but I think it's still part of my journey so I decided to leave the record.

As soon as I get those feelings or thoughts I now rip myself out of the environment. If I am at home, I go outside, and if I am at work I leave the office and go for a walk around to talk to people. Don't let it plant its roots!