NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Daily Journal - Samon

Samon

9 hours ago, fawn_xoxo said:

I actually tried planning my day from the day before, putting specific tasks at specific times and even though the first day wasn't 100% success, it was still much better than all the days I had no schedule for.

That is actually also a technique that I learned recently from Learning How to Learn. 

According to Prof. Barbara Oakley, writing down a task list for the next day before going to sleep allows your subconscious to figure out how to accomplish the tasks while you are asleep.

Also the writing down part is important: it frees up your precious working memory.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fawn_xoxo said:

I struggle with discipline and procrastination a lot myself, so I'll share with you what I've read: don't put free time before you do your important things. Start your day with the three things that are most important to you in priority order, in example programming, learning the language and then playing instrument. Why? Because we are limited by our human brain and body and they gradually get more tired the more time passes, and that means less motivation to do the difficult tasks or those which requires discipline. I actually tried planning my day from the day before, putting specific tasks at specific times and even though the first day wasn't 100% success, it was still much better than all the days I had no schedule for.

Thats what I tried too some months ago over and over again. Fix times, clear what to do lists. Sadly I never followed the plan... Of course it could work now, but I simply dont think I can get up and do instantly my work. I agree completely with you, but currently I doubt I am ready for that.

16/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

First day overall less then 5-6hours entertainment at the display. Still much, but compared to a "normal" day its ok I think. Woke up and usually grinded online. I set me a time when I wanted to start with my work and stop the computer grind till a specific time a evening. I think its nice for me to have done that today, usually when I tried that, I relapsed instantly at the same day. But all those new things I do help me so much against boredom so it was not so hard today. I will try to keep that up.

Yea otherwise nothing special today I think. I tried to tune my instrument today again, nearly broke my string, but all good. Coding went a bit better today, I have now found some sources on my own. So I can do my things again like the days I started with it. Learning the new language today had not so much progression, I teached my little silbling in it, I think that counts too, but not so much progression for me. So yea I am still searching a chance to spent more time outside my house. 

Overall a good day again, but it still doesnt really feel good. Although I know it is way better than before. Its a bit paradox, somehow I feel it was good, becaus I made so many productive things, but still I think I have done nothing because I didnt game(=no much fun as I could have). I read those kind of feelings in many journals here. So I think thats normal at the beginning.

Thats all for today, see you tomorrow guys

17/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

Everything went good today I think. Its interesting, most of the day I think "i really want to check xy or watch xy now" and at the evenings when I have done my work and check the computer again, I dont even know what to do. it feels like the more you sit in front of the display the more things you want to do in front of it. So I keep the duration low, like planned.

Just now I had to think about the fact, that there are 2 big regrets I have in my life

1.  Wasted so much time online

2. Invested so much into fake friends(which made me even more addicted to gaming, because only thing they did was gaming, although I didnt want to)

however I should stop regret those things. I should more focus on to change that. No need to blame myself for it. I want to make it better now, and thats what matters. 

18/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

Again all good I think. Daily routine worked again. Coding is currently very nice and I like to spent my time with it. Same goes with violin. So all good. I think Ill do a bit more for language learning. 

Not much text today, because its already late here, and I want to sleep soon.

Edited by Samon
  • Like 3

19/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

What a funny, but not so productive day haha... I wanted to do my routine as always, but I had to learn with my little silbling for school... So pretty boring from 13am-7pm, but in a good way I mean. So I only played a bit with my instrument at morning, but its kay. Just did a bit for driving license too, but also not much... Just to say I did something basically. Better than nothing. However after learning session I had two hours till my work time(basically from 12am till 9pm) was over. But then we started to play some games with in the family together(rl games). Was fun, so I dont regret that. You know, its not so frustrating like gaming. U feel good with that because it has the social part.

Yea that was my day tbh. So i will do some coding now, just a bit, and then relax till I sleep.

Edited by Samon
  • Like 1

20/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

hey everybody, my day was good overall I think. Today I could do more than tomorrow. Most of my day was filled with coding, it feels a bit too much, although its productive. I think I should half the time and do something different. Mostly I do 1 hour of instrument, 1 hour learning for driving license and then the rest of my time I spent coding and learning new language or help my silbling with school. So I will think update what to change and I will keep you updated as always.

not much more I can say today

• Like 2

21/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

overall another good day I think. I make good progress with my instrument, learning for my driving license is good too. Just in coding I stuck a bit currently. But I still spent most of the time on it, so I am sure i will get progress there too soon again. However I already said to you some days ago that I have my selfmade worktime from 12am to 9pm. But I was really done with my stuff way to early, and since I stuck in coding I really didnt know what to do. So I thought about whether I should just call it a day and sit in front of my computer and grind again mindless. I didnt do thst today, but I really need to fill that time up. You all know boredom is not good. 

I already mentioned it, its interesting that I really dont even know what to at my freetime when I am online. I am playing some online chess lately with an online friend. Its fun and fills my freetime a bit

22/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

the day was overall good I think. I tidied up my university stuff up and my old school stuff this afternoon, after that had again a meeting. So I had not much time for my tasks. Did everything, just for coding couldnt do much, i read only an articel about reflection(some way to analyze program to say it in a simple way), again just to say i did not nothing. Its ok I think. 

Tomorrow I have another meeting, after that I go for my tasks. I hope with more time than today. At least I get some time outside haha

• Like 1

23/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

the day was ok overall I think, I had my meeting so I woke up early and came home 12am or so. I grinded an hour at laptop and started my work then. But I didnt get really in the flow, only played my instrument well, coding and learning for driving license only a bit. Especially coding frustrate me. And because It still takes the biggest part of my time, its not good if I stuck there. I need to reduce the time i spent on it, and do other productive things. I see how the last two days my daily routine (wake up 1-2h do nothing, "work time"(no computer, handy, smartphone for entertainment) till 9pm and then free time) doesnt go so good. Today i stopped my work 1 hour earlier :/, because I didnt know what to do else. 

So I want to do tomorrow: Less coding, but the time I code more intensee&concentrated. "try"(not sure) to learn by myself 1 hour french(usually did that with a partner, doesnt work good). Maybe doing some origami again, because I liked that back ago.

--- I forget to write something: I just saw that my friends grind again together at LoL. I feel a bit sad and happy at same time. Happy because I stopped to play that game + they want to stop too, but they canT -> "i am better feeling"I dont even know why that makes me happy. I mean rhe last part. It somehow annoys me that I think like that, but maybe its natural? Same time I feel sad because I always wanted that those guys stop this game too and internet time in general so we can do more things irl. But I never could get them out of this game or games in general :/. I wasted so much energy on them. Currently we dont speak with each other anymore(nothing to share, and they dont contact me and I have enough of it that I need to be always the guy who contact them to ask what they do, whether they are fine etc.), and to be honest I shouldnt contact them, because its a waste of energy. To my standards they never were my friends, but i thought they could improve etc. I mean real friends are so damn rare. I know its somehow hard to say that, but i simply have no real friends. And I think 80% of ppl dont have them too. Some feedback here from u would be nice!

Will read now some Journals of you guys and chill a bit and call it a day

• Like 1

Real connections are rare in general, I'll agree with that. Friend or lover, relationships require effort and time and so if you are the only one putting those in, it's not gonna work in the long run. Most of us here are on the same boat when it comes to how we feel about our online friends, disappointment and nostalgia and maybe even bitterness but since none of that does us any good, we should just accept it and move on to do other things. 

• Like 2

24/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

the day was not so good, but pushed throw my plan.. Just wanted to sit at computer and forget everything.. But I knew this will not fix my problems, it will just make them even worse. So I did my routine... Better than gaming or surfing. But yea, meh. 

Ill read some Journals now, I hope I get some motivation.

• Like 2

Staying determined through your frustration can be difficult, especially when you are feeling defeated.  It's important to remember how frustrated you were with gaming and old habits when you're at that point of breaking.  It's like going back to yourself when you first wanted to quit gaming and tell them life hasn't been terrible without it and you've been very strong along the past few weeks without gaming.  Just keep reminding yourself that and keep treating yourself well.

• Like 3

thanks matt, you are right

25/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right  now!

really quick today, because I am in bed already. The was better again, but not so productive. Played a lot with my instrument, but only a bit coding and learning. But much fun with my family. So thats totally ok I think.

Wow, yea this picture is really nice.

26/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

The day was good overall I think. I didnt do much again on coding and learning for driving license, maybe ill watch some more coding vids later again not sure. I am currently at a hard problem so its not easy to make progress in coding. Spent almost whole day in making vids for youtube(just some clips cutted together for entertainment). It somehow feels bad to do things at computer for me, even if they are in some way productive. Probably I feel that because usually you can call mindless surfing on specific websites also as productive, but in truth they arent. Well maybe they are, but they dont bring u exactly something for your targets. So lately I thought again "hey why not making youtube vids to earn some cash", and now I sit 2 days at computer doing that. Its fun and it could get me money, so basically nothing wrong with that, but still feels wrong. I think I have to priotize things more... I need to do the 'must do" first and after it new things I want to try out. There wont be time left for free time, at least not much, but I mean I could decide always on my own whether to do does new things or not(like youtube). Feedback on that would be nice too, what do you think?

Yea.. What can I say more? Whether is bad, cold and raining all day here. Was thinking again to write with my gaming friends(which i know real life, but like I said they are not really more than gaming friends) but I think I will not, although its prolly fun to talk again, seeing what they do etc. but at the end it will be again the same. I want to push them, and they disappoint me. It could work if i only see them as not-close friends, but dunno.

• Like 1

It's a good idea, the best actually, to start your day with the most challenging task. That's because we as humans have very limited will power and motivation, and as the day progresses and we get physically more tired, the will power goes away too.

On the other hand, listen to yourself. Those feelings you experience, stop and give yourself the time to process them. Why does it feel bad? Is it an exaggeration out of fear of failure or it actually because that action is against your values and goals and your feelings are warning you about it? Just explore that and get to know yourself better through it.

• Like 2

Yea fawn ty. I think I dont want to sit so much at computer in general, its against my values. I explain tomorrow why I think so... 

27/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

Short again, because I am in bed already. The day was again better, I didnt do so much in general but at least I started the day with my tasks(well after the usual wake up-breakfast etc. time). I am thinking to do 1 hour sport every day now. Dont know, i will see. Because if its setted as a target i want to be sure i can and will do it...  

• Like 4

28/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

good day overall I think. Not much work again but everywhere a bit. Thought again about the sport routine and i will do that prolly. Maybe just running for start. I usually did gym, but i somehow think its not the thing i want to do currently. Best case scenario would be to play in a competitive team in my fav sports. But I will see. Not much else to say(i didnt forget that i wanted to write, why i dont even want to be too much at computer although if it is productive, will do that...)

29/90 without any LoL Content |  Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

hey all, I notice I write my daily journal post lately very late. Thats not good, because I usually want to reflect the day more etc. So i want to change that. 

However the day was good-ok again I think. Did my tasks, but this coding stress me a but currently because I doesnt make progress. Earlier small projects worked well so i was really happy while coding, but currently i started more complicated things and i understand nothing so i usually sit there for some minutes while understanding nothing and then i stop. No progress, just reading a bit to say i did something for it. This shoudltn be like this... Ill ask a friend whether he can help me to get into this new subject.

so yea, dont know what else to say, will read now some journals here because lately I didnt do that much 

• Like 2

According to the book Atomic habits, when you're trying to build a new habit, it's good to not settle for doing it in a boring way but neither create a challenge so big that you can't succeed on it. It also mentions a 4% increase in difficulty is optimal to keep humans interested but not discouraged by failure. Hope this is useful to you for establishing a coding learning curve!

• Like 1

Thanks fawn! I cant really adapt the difficutly level in coding, I have to learn some functions, no way around it. But ill keep that in mind for other things :)!

30/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

good day I think. Got some motivation again, did my tasks, so thats fine. But yea, you need to be on track when you dont have motivation too.

Today and yesterday I saw a youtube advertisment. Guess what: LoL. This video was so dumb. They literally show in the video how ppl get addicted to the game(they make a joke out of it) and they highlight the difference between a fun gamer(bad) and a pro player who wants to succsed(good). Thats so sad.. They animate people so they play hardcore fhe game, because those are the tryharders, the ones who keep the game alive. But yea, nice reminder that I stay clean from it...

Oh and Today i got it to write at least a bit earlier here

• Like 2

Dunno, writing in the journal somehow is a part of the night routine. I would like to keep that. But just a bit earlier so 2hours before sleeping i guess would be good. But thanks for advice :)

31/90 without any LoL Content | Played Instrument: Yes! | Coding: Yes! | Learned for driving license: Yes! | Writing in my Journal: Yes, right now!

good day overall again I think. Routine worked, got some learning stuff for coding from a good friend(well I only know him online but still sometimes he gives me more advice than my "real" friends, well tbh i dont have real friends, the only ppl I can rely on are my family members), so that gives me again a good push to keep going. I keep writing "coding' but basically I am reading many things, not code acutually. I started with coding to get some basics, but now I want to create my first big project and for that I need some theoretical stuff first. Thats what I am doing currently. Without the advice of my friend to learn the theory first, I started to code things which I dont understand -> 0 progression(Maybe you remember all the commentars in my post about that i am stuck in coding...). Yea, but now its good I think. 

Playing with the instrument goes good too. Good progression and it makes fun. Stuff with the driving license goes on too. 

• Like 2