NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - SpiNips

SpiNips

Hello!

Today was a good day. I exercised in the gym, cooked pork and sweet potatoes and studied. It's great to be back in physical activities once again. For some reason I felt really energetic and the weights did not seem too heavy today. The best thing that happened today was reading Think and Grow Rich. The poems in the book are amazing!

Today I've thought about my goals once again. I'm liking them so far. I feel like there is so much to remember regarding them but slowly planting good habits to get more stable at them seems to be a good way to go. 

I thought about a mindset recently. It could be summarized like this "I know that my knowledge is fallible, so I should observe other perspectives, albeit the fallibleness I'm trusting the knowledge I've acquired so far, using it to my best ability." 

I took a nap today so I'll do some reading now that I have energy. I currently have many things going on. I'll handle it by focusing on what I need to do the present day so I won't be distracted and absent-minded. Good.

It's like instead of a nation-state, we are a person-state. :D

It is all about the state-of-mind.

States getting out of hand xD

I've been cruising on my curve a bit too.  It's too easy to just sit back and watch the success once you have some good momentum going.  For once, I want to get back on track before letting myself regress!

That is true. It really is easy to just see all the great things around and forget why they got there and what's keeping them there. Little things, I have to remember the little things.

It's like instead of a nation-state, we are a person-state. :D

Intelligence is like the land and conscientiousness is like getting the resources harvested. Agriculture and pollution are the health. Win-Win relationships with neighboring states are beneficial although we can choose them. But thank God there is a little less bureaucracy :P

Cool new profile pic!

It is those moments of clarity and reflection that we can make the best decisions, such as yours to get back onto the success curve :)

Thanks man, keeping on keeping on, back to the curve with you!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Fun replies, I'm looking for a my moment to strike back to your journals
  • Squats felt easy today
  • Another camp upcoming next weekend
  • New ideas for evening meals and breakfasts, going to try one out tomorrow
  • Possibly selling my PC soon

Hello!

Today I was more tired than usual. I'm going to bed early tonight, because I'm going to the gym next morning, getting back to my routine. Having enough sleep has one of the greatest impacts on my drive.  

We rethought our business idea and ended up sacking the main idea since it didn't bring enough to the table considering the work required. Sacking the first idea we came up with another one which was way better than the first one! It's up to a couple of contacts to make it work. I'm back to looking for a summer job with full commitment.

The best moment of the day was coming up with a new business idea and leaving the old to rest.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Chicken, great source of protein
  • Clarity of our meet gave today
  • Taking a walk, my legs feel less destroyed after yesterdays reunion with squats
  • Listening to other people's opinions and not forcing my own opinion mindlessly
  • Taking steady steps each day

Hey Spinips,

What kind of business idea is it? I myself have never seen myself as an entrepreneur, but it's interesting. I think that attitude of mine is related my self-esteem. My self-talk is like "you would never be able to come up with anything that people would want or find useful" so I don't even try.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but if you are trying to start a business, what is your mindset when you go about that?

Hey Spinips,

What kind of business idea is it? I myself have never seen myself as an entrepreneur, but it's interesting. I think that attitude of mine is related my self-esteem. My self-talk is like "you would never be able to come up with anything that people would want or find useful" so I don't even try.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but if you are trying to start a business, what is your mindset when you go about that?

Ironically, with your skill-set... you have a huge advantage. :)

Hey Spinips,

Ironically, with your skill-set... you have a huge advantage. :)

Could you explain what you mean? Ha, maybe I'm just not self-aware but I really don't know what you mean. Then again I don't know much about entrepreneurship and such. Could be in a PM if it's off-topic.

Edited by kortheo

Hello!

Today I traveled to Kuopio which is located in eastern parts of Finland. It was great to arrive there since there was a warm sauna waiting for us! This morning I completed my gym routine. I might have to tune it a bit since I'm having to take longer rest between the sets now that the weights are going up. I don't want to be late too much. 

I'm going to a camp once again. This time I don't know any of the people there so it'll be good exercise for my social skills. Great to make new relationships as well. I'm going to miss tomorrows post due to the camp.

I'm currently reading J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. I'm getting annoyed at the book since I find Holden's cynical view of the world annoying. It's pretty hard for me to identify with him. Well 58 pages to go, won't be big of a deal. 

@kortheo About the business, It's nothing too big. The idea started with setting out our own market stand in the summer, but we ended up bunking it for various reasons. Our current idea is to bring help for those in need in form of selling earplugs and plastic rain coats etc. in summer festivals. The winters are dark and cold here but the summers are awesome. Finns tend to celebrate it by going to different kinds of musical festivals. The weather is unpredictable due to living in a polar front, so there is a good market gap right there. 

The best thing that happened today was bathing in sauna and eating sausage.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Berryporridge, always waiting for us when we arrive here
  • Having a great partner to dance with
  • Writing these journals is helping me with my English
  • Having gained some weight, I want to make sure I'm not starving myself out with exercise
  • The letter Cam sent me last summer

Hey!

I'm back! I have to say, the camp was an absolute blast. Even though being there for just a weekend I made great friends whom I had awesome time with. The camp was filled with good conversations and learning. 

I feel like I need to fix some aspects of my visualization. I'm currently doing it in a way that guides my mind to wrong paths. To give an example of this Mike Cernovich tells in his book that players who visualized throwing pitches in baseball performed better than players who actually did equal amounts of throws. But what I'm doing is visualizing winning the game. Of course it's great for keeping the goal in mind, but I'm not going to improve my throws by visualizing winning the game.

There were a couple of really important lessons that this camp reminded me. One was remembering that everyone has something he/she struggles with. Remembering it helps me to understand that having problems that I'm dealing with is absolutely normal and I should not feel diversity about having struggles of my own. Somehow realizing how normal it is helps you to cope with them and keeping in mind that you are not unworthier person because of them. The other lesson I learned is that you can and in many occasions should give some time to problems that you are not progressing with. Especially since I'm 18 and growing towards adulthood. I'm having this feeling that there is a kind of need to find out the problems you are having and exterminate them as fast and possible. In my opinion it is SOMETIMES just okay to let your problems sit for a while and mature. (This kinda makes me think about how the culture of having many things instantaneously affects us)

The best moment of today is not necessarily the happiest but there was a lot of feeling to that moment. It was hugging and saying goodbye to the friends I made in the camp. It's weird that sometimes connections just form quite quickly. Grateful for the camp, absolutely the Best.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Receiving another four bottles of my grandmothers berry juice!
  • Hugs
  • Orange slices
  • Learning new card games
  • Being able to sleep during the way back home

There were a couple of really important lessons that this camp reminded me. One was remembering that everyone has something he/she struggles with. Remembering it helps me to understand that having problems that I'm dealing with is absolutely normal and I should not feel diversity about having struggles of my own. Somehow realizing how normal it is helps you to cope with them and keeping in mind that you are not unworthier person because of them. The other lesson I learned is that you can and in many occasions should give some time to problems that you are not progressing with. Especially since I'm 18 and growing towards adulthood. I'm having this feeling that there is a kind of need to find out the problems you are having and exterminate them as fast and possible. In my opinion it is SOMETIMES just okay to let your problems sit for a while and mature. (This kinda makes me think about how the culture of having many things instantaneously affects us)

"If we're going to find our way back to each other, we have to understand and know empathy, because empathy's the antidote to shame. If you put shame in a Petri dish, it needs three things to grow exponentially: secrecy, silence and judgment. If you put the same amount in a Petri dish and douse it with empathy, it can't survive. The two most powerful words when we're in struggle: me too." - Brene Brown's TED Talk

We often feel like we're uniquely flawed or broken when dealing with shame, so recognizing that we are like other people and not alone makes us feel connected rather than disconnected due to our struggles.

I can totally relate to the feeling about wanting to try to find and exterminate all your problems ASAP. I also agree that it's sometimes OK to just sit with them for a while. In many ways its healthier to accept your issues rather than be a perfectionist about them. It's good to improve, but you'll be happier if you can accept how you are flawed and be OK with that. These aren't mutually exclusive, though.

I feel like I need to fix some aspects of my visualization. I'm currently doing it in a way that guides my mind to wrong paths. To give an example of this Mike Cernovich tells in his book that players who visualized throwing pitches in baseball performed better than players who actually did equal amounts of throws. But what I'm doing is visualizing winning the game. Of course it's great for keeping the goal in mind, but I'm not going to improve my throws by visualizing winning the game.

Visualising a winning scenario I find to be the most instrumental in deriving inspiration. If you want to get better at a particular action, then yes you need to visualise what your body would do, such as throwing a ball. If you can visualise winning in the morning to be inspired throughout the day as well as visualise pitching when you are in bed, I think you can have the best of both, since your brain will mull over those thoughts while you sleep and help you perform those actions later on. I did this with learning to touch type, I thought of typing out sentences whilst in bed with my eyes closed, and I developed my typing skills much faster than I would have otherwise. If you try this out please let me know if it works for you!

Hello!

Today was a laid back day but I managed to do quite a lot. I was thinking about doing a recap from January and seeing that others have made it I think that I should do one as well, but probably not today since I'm tired after exercising. Today I practiced BJJ with my friend and studied. I'm still feeling the positive vibes from the camp. The best thing that happened today was rolling with my friend and talking about current issues with the world.

@kortheo Brené is the boss! I agree with your view on problems. It's great to work through them and make progress, but not get frustrated or ashamed because you can't instantly make them disappear.

@AlexTheGrape That is true. Visualizing goals is a great way to keep your mind on them. My visualization is maybe a bit of it's own kind. I feel like if I focus too much on the goal I might miss the target. When it's time to shoot I'm focusing on the goal instead of the target I need to hit to reach the goal. But this goal of mine is a very specific goal and this will not apply to nearly all visualization.

@Cam Adair Cool, I'll try to maximize my feeling.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Learning new chokes
  • Cleaning all the dust from my room
  • Being able to do cool things with my friends
  • Being able to to sleep late tomorrow morning
  • Minced meat

January Recap:

Habits:

My morning routine has undergone some changes. I added grip and neck strength training to help me with BJJ. I also added visualizing my goals after I wake up. These changes leave me with 15 minutes less sleep time, but are definitely worth it in the long run. My breakfast arsenal has been updated so I have more room for choice.

I've exercised 5 out of 8 times in the gym this month. It's mostly due to being sick. Goal for the next week would be to train 7 times. Gym is currently a supplementary hobby for BJJ. Doing more gym training would mean cutting my BJJ practices which I don't want to do.

Reading a book for 10 minutes a day hasn't been the most stable habit. But there is nearly always time in some part of my schedule. I finished Mate, by Tucker Max and am currently reading Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill. I also read J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye but didn't really enjoy it since I couldn't identify with Holden too much.

GQ-posts have been coming out nearly every day. That's good!

I created a new habit for scheduling my days. After writing my post I create a schedule for the following day. That way I don't have to look too far into the future nor have nothing to do the next day.

My average sleep per workweek night has been 8 hours and 16 minutes. It is above the 8 hour line which is great, but I've still ended up taking some naps so I'll try to increase it to 8h 20 mins for February.

Goals

1. BJJ – I've not reached my three times a week goal due to cold and events. Despite that I've made some steady progress. I'll strive to train at least 2 times a week for February. I need to keep on nurturing this habit and work my way towards driver's license.
  2. Relationships – I've met new girls and had good conversations. I've improved my hygiene by washing my face with a face-wash gel before going to sleep. My thoughts have matured on this aspect leading to my goals being more clear to me. Working on social skills has also been a great help in this area. In February I'm going to see if I can find more fitting clothes, upload a new facebook and Instagram profile pic and keep on getting to know new girls. Generally to keep improving my mate value. One thing that I need to work on is my communication through social media like WA. I like having conversations and meeting people IRL but for some reason doing it through social media seems intimidating. I can't say why.
  3. Social Skills – The challenges I've set have worked well. They have helped me to notice the difference little things can make in social situations. I'll look into setting new challenges. Also a thing I could do would be to arrange an event.

Overall review

Overall good progress in January. I feel that my self-esteem has improved, big thanks to those camps last month. Great month behind.

Hello!

Today was a good day! I practiced BJJ and learnt good new stuff. I did all my habit cultivating actions. They make me instantly feel more positive. I'm having another semi-late morning due to our lovely teacher. I'm going to use the morning by going to the gym. Let's hope I'll be able to dance after squats. :P Today I made good progress in doing necessary tasks and habits.

The best moment of today was getting a sneaky leglock when the guy I was sparring with had my back. When an enemy has your back it's usually very bad but I lucked out and turned it ^_^

Today I'm grateful for:

• Broccoli, Getting those nutrients
  • Cottage cheese, It's a great source of protein. I prefer it to tuna since it can't have any harmful heavy metals
  • Conditioner, My hair feels a lot better
  • Dance double lessons tomorrow
  • Deriving for being semi-understandable

Hello!

Today has been eventful. I exercised in the gym in the morning. After school I planned out next summer with my friends and in the evening I attended an education regarding a summer job. I'm quite tired after all this. I'm going to do a little deriving before I go to sleep. I'm going to have more time for writing and reading tomorrow.

The best thing that happened today was reaching my personal best squat weight.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Lidström's steak
  • U2
  • Having friends who are enthusiastic
  • Understanding what I want better
  • Eggs

Hello!

A bit of anxiety and stress surrounding this day. But I'm glad for the way it was. On it's own way it was relieving. Today was a great day in terms of completing what I set out to do. Managed to derive a ton this evening. The test is tomorrow, let's hope the best. I'm a bit dazzled for everything that has happened today so I'll wind down for sleep now.

The best moment of the day was making progress in dancing. Me and my partner found a common rhythm which made dancing a whole lot easier.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Trying my best and being satisfied for that
  • Having friends to support me
  • A friendship that's deepened
  • Filled baguettes we cooked today
  • Tomorrow is friday and we have planned hanging out with friends

Good night, Sleep tight!

Hello!

Today was a good day! I did some overthinking in the exam but that's fine, it happens. I spent the evening with my friends singing singstar and later on going to a club with a friend of mine who had her birthday. It was cool although it wasn't possible to talk really, so after they left I decided to leave too. Walking home I came across my friends and they gave me a ride home which was very nice from them. I feel like clubs are okay for partying occasionally, but I prefer some place where you can talk and have fun that way. The best thing of the day was having fun with my friends on the dance floor.

I'm currently thinking about setting a couple of challenges to help me get towards my goals. It's rather easy to get lost with all the studying and such. I've got to pay attention to my goals as well since they'll probably have a bigger of an impact to my life than some of the subjects.

All in all a good day. I'll drink some water and go to sleep

Today I'm grateful for:

• Having body which is capable of all sorts of movements
  • Weekend is here, time to rest
  • Graphic calculators
  • Friends who can play the guitar
  • Bananas

Hello!

Today I took it a little slower. Overall today was a great day. I even managed to fail once which I'm counting as a win since I learned from it. 

I have been reflecting my life today. I found that I'm dealing with a kind of lack of ambition. The kind of force that drives you towards new frontiers and experiences. Even though I'm really enjoying my life currently, I have this feeling that I want to move forward to pursue the things I want. It's quite easy to just go "Hey, It could be worse. I think my life is quite nice". Of course there is nothing wrong with that. I just want to set big goals and go after them. But one doesn't simply mold ambition from the air. Having a burning desire towards something requires a lot of dreaming and faith in your ability to achieve it. Think and Grow Rich is a great help with this. I want to find within myself the burning desire of achieving my dreams.

We made progress with our business idea today. A good e-mail message was created so now it's up to contacting festival organizers. We are making stable progress since the guys I'm working with are committed to the idea. It's great to have them to work with.

The best thing that happened today was having some information connect in my head like pieces of a puzzle.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Macadamia nuts, creamy deliciousness and also 700kcal/100g!!! I better have a supply of those the next time i go hiking.
  • The spring is soon here!
  • Having a lovely wintry weather today
  • Friends supporting me
  • Getting a new buyer for my old PC

Hello!

Today has been a great day! In the morning I helped with fundraising. It was great fun and I got free pea soup! ^_^ I trained catch wrestling and it was awesome. The gym was emptier than regularly so we had good space to roll. I also loved playing games like X-tag where you save people by takedowns and team crab battle where you're supposed to take the opposite team down while moving with your hands and feet on the floor. I've spent the evening studying for my exam. I've got to be honest I might've scheduled too much reading for one night. We'll I'm going to try to study 3/4 of the area well and just learn the general knowledge from the remaining 1/4. Studying history is great since I'm not anxious about finishing the required area. Interest keeps the boredom away.

The best thing that happened today was the Team Crab battle!

I'm going to get sleep soon so I'll be sharp in the test tomorrow

Today I'm grateful for:

• A dance battle I had with my friend
  • Making good progress with current tasks
  • Having a seasonal card for public transport
  • Getting to know new guys
  • Going to training, it was the hardest part of the exercise
  • Visualization that helped me focus on my goal so that I had more drive to train
  • Cottage cheese, my mercury free tuna

Hello!

I'm writing this out a bit earlier than usual, but it's a perfect spot since my spuds are boiling. Today started out in a weird way. I woke up at 4am with Kellog-Briand's pact etc. running in my head. I couldn't fall asleep for some reason so I just lied in my bed, read and googled some interesting topics until it was time to "wake up". The history exam went alright. I took a good nap to make the rest of the day less drowsy.

I noticed that I have a small haematoma in my right eye. The haematoma and reading some articles on head injuries made me think whether BJJ is a safe sport. I'd hate to physically injure my brain. But I figured it's not from the most dangerous section of sports. I think that you'll get more head bumps from soccer than BJJ honestly. :P Still it's good to keep in mind to avoid avoidable head collisions and have a healthy ego in order to tap out early so no one is hurt.

Good, the day ended up being better than I thought! The best thing that happened today was the fact that I had a lot of peer support, since half of my friends watched the Super Bowl last night.

Today I'm grateful for:

• A nice chat with my history teacher
  • Brussels sprouts boiling as well as potatoes
  • Getting a haircut tomorrow, it's about time
  • The 3/4 studying worked out quite well in the end
  • A five minute reflection habit

Macadamia nuts are godly.

Too bad they're expensive as hell. As far as I know, the trees that grow them can only do so successfully in a very specific climate, and they also don't bear any nuts for the first few years. Even after they finally produce the nuts, the shell needs to be removed with special machinery since it's so hard it's impossible to crack them manually.

But yeah, godly.

I also suggest Brazil Nuts:

Brazil-Nuts_Bulk_dreamstime_xxl_6558998.

Edited by Marchosias

Macadamia nuts are godly.

Too bad they're expensive as hell. As far as I know, the trees that grow them can only do so successfully in a very specific climate, and they also don't bear any nuts for the first few years. Even after they finally produce the nuts, the shell needs to be removed with special machinery since it's so hard it's impossible to crack them manually.

But yeah, godly.

I also suggest Brazil Nuts:

Brazil-Nuts_Bulk_dreamstime_xxl_6558998.

Thanks for the suggestion man! I've tried Brazil nuts and my god are they delicious. But there is a little problem to them, the exceptionally high levels of selenium. 100 grams of Brazil Nuts has 3485% of the daily recommended dose. Eating too many will have harmful side effects. I could try pecans out!

Hello!

Today was a good day! It's been mostly studying and training. BJJ was great today. The best moment of the day was wrestling with a guy and getting an ankle lock while he had his back. We rolled hard and had great fun. At the end of the roll he asked me how much I weight and told me he was a 120kg/circa 265 pound guy. Great time. I'm hoping to get at least a little Think and Grow Rich in this evening but we'll see if I have time for that.

I got a new haircut today, not completely sure whether it's the way I want it to be, but it's not too bad either. And I usually feel this way about my hair for maybe a day after the cut since I'm not used to it. I still could try another style for fun.

Great, I'll study for a moment and then go to sleep. Have a great day!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Pecan nuts, surprisingly creamy
  • Black English breakfast tea
  • Learning useful new moves in BJJ
  • Getting to know Mikko better today
  • My maths went as it should've

Hello!

Today was a pleasant day. Studied, went to gym, hung out and studied more. I'm having my economics and driver's license exam on Friday.

I haven't been able fall asleep recently.  I've got an average of 7 hours of sleep last three nights. Even though I've cut napping and done regular exercise and eating my sleep seems to be off. I'm noticing my mood swinging a lot more than usual. I usually sleep like a snorlax so this is a bit annoying. Well I'm raising the bet, My Grandma's warm berry juice ought to put me in sleep in no time.

I'm still thinking about the chances of brain injuries on BJJ, but https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/203o57/long_term_brain_damage_with_short_chokes/ this thread calmed me down a notch. Gotta work on my choke defenses!

The best moment of the day was trying out Chicken fries with my friends in Burger King.

Otherwise doing good and enjoying life. Good habits are helping me move forward.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Learning from mistakes
  • My mother is back from Dubai
  • Kalerolls filled with meat
  • Good and understanding dance partner
  • No back pain