NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - SpiNips

SpiNips

For what I can think now I'd say at least from the mating perspective would be increasing my mate value and striving for a medium-term relationship.

Haha, that's pretty much exactly my take aways from Mating Grounds as well! Mate value is a super useful concept too! 

Hello!

Today has been a bit on the unproductive side. Getting sports back to routine helps me manage my days. I need to learn how to arrange social meetings better, since a part of the reason today was unproductive was failing to effectively contact people. Waking up late makes it easier to skip the breakfast, so I need to pay attention to eating properly as well. Well that's a plenty of fixing to do. There were plenty of positive things today as well. Cooking a good meal, reading, listening to podcasts, cleaning up and watching a good documentary.

The best moment of the day was eating Thai food with my father. It was a great alternative for chinese food that we eat more commonly.

The idea of diet has been circling in my mind for a while. There are many experts promoting different kind of diets that don't necessarily match with each other. Paleo diet has a great idea but I think it lacks some evidence to be complete. The finnish diet generally consists of lots of milk, rye, wheat and pasta. Nearly all of them are on the paleo's nono-list. For now I'm trying to eat as low processed and well-rounded as possible. I'll need to try things out. The documentary I watched today "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" told about benefits of micronutrient rich diet and it was genuinely awesome! Introducing some sort of blended vegetable/fruit shake to my daily diet would be great. Not to go too ham with it, maybe around once or twice a week. If you guys have insights on food and nutrition I'd love to hear them!

It's awesome to read a lot of positive posts around the forum. For instance Tom's 90 days and Alex being back in action. Great job guys!

Laney - I picked it up on Tucker's podcast xD

Django - Your whole name screams Tarantino. :P  I've liked especially Django, Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction. Need to watch From Dusk Till Dawn when I have the time.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Acoustic guitar songs
  • Thai food
  • The documentary I watched, It was great to see the "Ripple Effect" in action
  • Self-compassionate willpower mindset
  • Good headphones
Edited by SpiNips

Nutrition: If you're interested, check out one of Gary Taubes books: Good Calories, Bad Calories (in-depth science version) or Why We Get Fat (general audience version); both basically tell the same story. I'm not sure I agree with everything he says, but they're thoroughly researched and thought provoking.

Headphones: What headphones do you have? I just bought new ones myself! :D  (Sennheiser HD598SE)

Thanks guys! I'm currently listening to music with Sennheiser HD219. Been working great for many years now! :) With diet it's probably true that common sense, general knowledge and balance between the natural ingredients goes a long way. I'm going to improve my diet by trying new dishes and juicing out.

When it comes to nutrition, simply reducing/eliminating processed foods is the key. Eat real food, that's the only diet you really need. :)

100%.

Also watch out for the juicing fad. I watched the documentary too and I'm quite concerned with the dangerous behavior it promotes. Real food in a varied diet gives you all the micronutrients you need.

With juicing you discard all the dietary fiber. What's left is water, some micronutrients, and a truckload of sugar. Fiber is necessary to slow down sugar absorption to a natural level. Sugar spikes are bad for you and can lead to diabetes. 

Mr. Cross dropped unhealthy food and started exercising. That's why he got healthier. Then he made millions with this infomercial of his and sure got happier too ;-)

That said, we occasionally make juice at home and it's delicious!

TL;DR: Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants. That's what every nutrition expert agrees on. 

It's okay to have an unproductive day, as long as you learn from it and pick up from where you've left off. Keep on keeping on I say!

I'm half-assing a diet at the moment (excuse my language) because I don't have all the facts straight. I think I can get this all sorted once I have my own car, then go see a nutritionist and get a work out schedule for a gym. Perhaps the same method might work for you?

I'm starting to love acoustic guitar songs the longer I play the guitar for! Nice music taste you have there.

Happy New Year Everybody!

I missed yesterday's entry due to celebrating new year with my friends. We had tons of fun together. Today I've been regaining my strength. I've kept up with my habits and done good progress today.

The best moment today was an early conversation I had with a friend of mine. Altogether I've had the joy of having really meaningful conversations with my friends lately.

Once again the question about sexual transmutation pops into my head. I'm trying out an optimal streak by trying 10-20-30-day cycle. It's important to find the most personally fitting cycle. 

I'm currently feeling bit perplexed about my goals altogether. I shall keep looking for the things I actually want in life and work towards them. Visioning something big splitting the bigger into smaller, precise attainable parts and working towards the big goal through the small goals consistently. I need to put these cool words into actions, not just write them out in in my journal here. 

To be honest I feel like I'm out of motivation currently. Probably due to sleep deprivation hangover and partly due to releasing my sexual tensions. But to rely on motivation is a train that will at some point easily run out of track. Rather than motivation I feel like the momentum from the small habits is what is currently keeping me going. 

Well off to a good sleep right now. 2016 here I come!

Today I'm grateful for:

• I just spoke for momentum over motivation but hell, how can you be unmotivated while listening to Van Halen - Jump
  • No headache today
  • Being able to talk through things with friends
  • Brazil nuts, they taste awesome
  • Smoked food, some adds great flavour
  • Even though New year's eve is just a day in the year it still feels like somewhat of a new beginning

Hello!

I've set my goals for 2016 today. That's a big step and I'm more than glad that I was able to see what I wanted. They are still in quite a raw form but I feel happy that I have a start or a penny in in the Slight Edge way of thinking. 

This morning I had no idea about my goals. I woke up did my morning routine and opened "Mate" and the GQ-journals. Feeling like I had not a clear direction I spent my day around the house cleaning, cooking and stretching. After sun set at 15.15 pm I decided to take a walk outside. While walking through the forest I noticed a feeling. One that I had felt last half a year ago. The feeling of no direction, emptiness to be honest. As I continued walking I came to a lake. Stood there for a while. After just being there a thought popped into my head, "What advice would I give myself if I could speak to my half a year younger self?" (Summer was a time when I was struggling the most with getting my life together) After a while of thinking it through the lens of helping my former self I was able to set 3 goals for myself.

Goal 1, A blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Time to accomplish: a year and 3 months

I want to improve in this sport. It gave me plenty of satisfaction and confidence when I first started doing it. After a while I started to neglect some trainings because I felt I was too busy with school and other activities. But I know BJJ gave me a lot of sense of meaning to my life. I improved in it even though it sometimes felt like I was just getting stomped round after another. 

The way I'm going to work towards this goal is to get my drivers license so that I will be able to train with tighter schedule. I'm also introducing some grip and neck conditioning to my morning routine. And most importantly I'll work on training consistently and forming a habit out of practising. I need to work on the cue and the reward.

Goal 2, Learning about dating

Time to accomplish my goals: 6 months and five days

I want to create deeper and more intimate relationships with women. I have more specific goals, but I'd like to keep them personal, after all this is quite a personal are of my life

I'll work towards this goal by:

• specifically selecting and improving specific areas of mate value, especially socially, mentally and aesthetically.
  • Creating a good Tinder profile. 
  • Get some confidence with my conversation skills. We have the finnish version of prom next phase so that'll be a great opportunity to meet and have fun with girls i don't know yet.

I will present Goal 3 once I've shaped it out. I'll write these all out and write about progressing in them in this journal from this point onward. I'm making myself accountable for accomplishing these goals. I don't want to put this work in and end up with a list that only attenuated my craving for a meaning for a while.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Feeling that I have a clear direction
  • Amazing mushroom pie my mother made today
  • Finland beating Canada in hockey :P (Just for you Cam, jk)
  • Still having a week time to clarify my goals before the school starts
  • Meditating, accepting the things you can't change helps with moving forward

I'd like to end this with a quote by Carlson Gracie, from the famous Gracie family:

tumblr_mk011vYBn71qflu9ro1_500.thumb.jpg

@AlexTheGrape 

It's okay to have an unproductive day, as long as you learn from it and pick up from where you've left off. Keep on keeping on I say!

I'm half-assing a diet at the moment (excuse my language) because I don't have all the facts straight. I think I can get this all sorted once I have my own car, then go see a nutritionist and get a work out schedule for a gym. Perhaps the same method might work for you?

I'm starting to love acoustic guitar songs the longer I play the guitar for! Nice music taste you have there.

Sorry for not answering earlier, my recent posts have been big and a little disorganized. Hmm, nutritionist sounds like a person who could help me with my diet. Also got some great advise from the guys here. I'm also looking forward to getting drivers license since it really is a step that will bring all kinds of possibilities to your reach. Let's keep on keeping on! :^)

Hello!

Today was a great day! I was productive and did plenty of the things I wanted. A friend of mine invited me to join her and some of my other friends. We had a lovely evening playing board games, watching a movie and chatting. The best moment of the day was playing and enjoying the new add-on for a classic board game "Afrikan tähti".

I introduced some neck and grip conditioning to my morning routine in order to have those little exercises help me with BJJ. Also regarding my morning routine my headspace account has run out of juice. If you have any good alternatives please let me hear them. It feels different meditating without headspace, I need to be more careful while practicing and remember to apply mindfulness to my everyday life.

I'm currently feeling that I should try to figure out a staple method to get momentum going with my social skills. I feel like there is something bothering me. I'll work on it if it becomes a trouble. Now I should focus on getting rid of this cold so that I'll be able to hop back to training BJJ. Wrestling while sick will just get my friends sick as well and it can be dangerous to do aerobic exercises even in a common cold.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Grandmothers blackcurrant juice, my secret weapon combating the cold
  • Cleaning a moment everyday. A good way to manage this big project
  • Snow on the ground, finally ^_^ 
  • Breakingmuscle.com, a good source for BJJ articles
  • Accepting my situation, taking responsibility for it, trying my best and being content with it

Hey Spinips -

I used to use Headspace as well. Eventually I sort of grew out of it; now I use the app Insight Timer. It's free and has a lot of guided meditation options. I would recommend Tara Brach's stuff if you haven't heard them before. It also has a great cutomizable timer for unguided meditation.

How did you get started in BJJ? It's something I'm considering trying but I don't know very much about it.

How did you get started in BJJ? It's something I'm considering trying but I don't know very much about it.

I found out there was a beginners course that had just begun near my place. I decided to go there and try it out since I wanted a hobby and martial arts sounded interesting. The first time I went there I was put sparring with people without any idea how to roll and knowing one submission.  I felt like a train had run over me. But after a while I started understanding the positions and the flow better. Give it a shot if you like! It's hard to tell whether one will enjoy it before trying it out.

The first time I went there I was put sparring with people without any idea how to roll and knowing one submission.  I felt like a train had run over me. But after a while I started understanding the positions and the flow better. Give it a shot if you like! It's hard to tell whether one will enjoy it before trying it out.

First time I tried BJJ I tapped out to a teenager who was half my size.  This was before MMA had taken off as much as it has now, I had no idea what I was doing.  I haven't trained in a few years now, but I loved it when I was doing it.  Most BJJ clubs are welcoming to beginners.  Just be prepared to tap a lot in the beginning :)

Hello!

Today has been a productive day. My to-do list helping me to get everything done. In the evening I went to do some drilling and sparring with my friend. Had fun and learned a new joint lock. 

The best thing that happened today was hmm, I guess the whole day actually. Today was a solid, productive and social day.

I found out that I had let my self-talk get negative aspects once again, so I wrote the thoughts down, read them aloud and recorded. It's ridiculous how critical you can sometimes be talking to yourself. But just making them concrete takes the edge off them. This method was suggested in Gorilla Mindset by the way. One of my favourite parts of that book.

First time I tried BJJ I tapped out to a teenager who was half my size.  This was before MMA had taken off as much as it has now, I had no idea what I was doing.  I haven't trained in a few years now, but I loved it when I was doing it.  Most BJJ clubs are welcoming to beginners.  Just be prepared to tap a lot in the beginning :)

Yeah, I had a pretty similar experience. xD It was great though since most of the people took it easy and had fun.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Cozy pullovers
  • Eggs
  • Dance classes coming in the next phase
  • After rolling there is no stiffness in my back
  • Gamequitters making profit, It is well-earned!

Hello!

Today has been a good day! I've got everything I wanted done so this is a day won. The best thing that happened today was watching Men's U20 WC-hockey final in which Finland managed to narrowly beat Russia. Great fun watching it with my hockey-enthusiastic friends.

While reading @bassitone's journal I could really identify with some of his experiences. I think that some of my problems might stem from what I feel like was some kind of perfectionism that I had as a child. Over time I've learned to let myself me imperfect, but on some areas of my life I feel like it still might affect my behavior, especially in human interaction. Well I don't know guys, sorry if this is on the edge of oversharing. I recon this could be just a far-fetched deduction. Might well be. I'm going to see if my thoughts clears up a bit during the night. Also I want to make sure I'm not making any excuses. If there is something I can get out of it great, if it's just an excuse, okay, let's move forward.

Hey guys, I need to ask you a question! What kind of phone would you recommend? I'm currently thinking about buying a Samsung Galaxy S6. Any opinions/Better suggestions?

Today I'm grateful for:

• Green chai tea was enjoyable today
  • Going to gym and meeting my pals
  • Exited to try juicing out tomorrow
  • Great sales in clothing stores, going to see them out tomorrow
  • Scarves, saving me from pneumonia

What I try to do is use perfectionism to my advantage... by shipping early and shipping often (putting stuff out there), because then it motivates me to improve rapidly (to stop putting out stuff that isn't that good). If I do it the opposite way (waiting until it's perfect) I never end up putting anything out there.

You can see this process w/ my YouTube channel. My first video is on my iPhone shot portrait style. I had my GoPro at the time but I didn't know how to use it. By putting out that iPhone video, I now had the motivation to learn how to use my GoPro. Etc.

I have a galaxy s6 and have zero complaints, lots of compliments! If you do get one, make sure to check out the tips online for special fun features like swiping your hand over the screen to take a screen shot (normal way is power and home button together), turning phone over to silence a call, etc

Hello!

Today was a good day. I just wrote 3 pages on my personal journal about last year, so a little exhaustion is to be noticed. Today I attained the goals I set for myself: meditated, did the conditioning, took a cold shover, ate well, re-organized my furniture and plenty of other things. What a day. What a year actually. Recapping the events that have happened in my life was astonishing. Last year was so eventful both in good and bad. If this year is going to be anything like the last one it'll be impossible to say what I'm like when writing this post in 2017. I'll work my hardest to keep the direction positive. The past is clear, now it's time to move forward.

The best thing that happened today was getting the organizing done. It's awesome to see everything in it's right place place and no unnecessary stuff.

I want to thank All of you guys before getting back to my school life. Gamequitters has been an indescribable help for me the past year. Having a forum where I can come together with likeminded and oriented people helps me to keep a direction in my life that I want. Thank You!

I have a galaxy s6 and have zero complaints, lots of compliments! If you do get one, make sure to check out the tips online for special fun features like swiping your hand over the screen to take a screen shot (normal way is power and home button together), turning phone over to silence a call, etc

Sounds Great! S6 seems to have received good reviews as well. :) I think I'm going to continue my Samsung streak and buy it.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Mozart, Helped me to concentrate on writing
  • CCR, brings up warm memories
  • Getting back to school, It's nice to see all the friends again
  • Greek yoghurt, Tastes great with a little muesli
  • The pastel-shades when it's freezing outside.

2016-01-06_09.14.34_1.thumb.jpg.f049bb10