NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My Journal - SpiNips

SpiNips

• Moomin characters and books, they are sympathetic and great to read when learning swedish

I didn't know them. They look fun! I was just looking for the next show to enjoy with my children and Wikipedia writes that there's a Japanese-Dutch anime series. We'll check it out if we can find it. Thanks!

Hello!

Today was a great day! I was energetic since I got enough sleep. I managed to complete my daily habits and that's a really good sign. Somehow I still feel like I'm not paying enough attention to everything, but that might just be a feeling. Even though today was a better day and I am satisfied with it I've still got to keep in mind that I have to adjust the routine. Maybe I should spend some time figuring it out every day.

Listening to the matinggrounds.com podcast has been a delight. I'm still a beginner and just starting to figure this out, but improvement will climb up the ladder one step at a time, day-by-day.

The best moment today was going to independence concert with my friends, It was awesome. Also it was awesome to get some feedback from the talk I gave last weekend.

Tom - It was great growing up watching Moomins! :) Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my journal!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Sweet potatoes
  • Getting to sleep more tomorrow as well due to an event
  • Dark chocolate, It tastes so good
  • Meditating when alert/not tired, It's a ton easier to focus
  • Our teacher for giving us good information for a presentation about religious history

Hello!

Today has been a good day in a way! I've kept up with my habits with gym, studying and reading. I don't really know why but for some reason I'm feeling pretty shitty. I can't determine where it's coming from. I don't know whether it's just the way some things are unbalanced at my life at the moment. Could it have something to do with shame? Anyways, might be an indicator of something, might just be a funk, I'll find out.

The best moment today was meeting my cousins whom I haven't seen in a long time.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Chinese food! It's delicious
  • Ginger tea, It tasted great
  • Going to have a pre-Christmas party tomorrow
  • Studying with awesome people
  • having plenty of activities to do, staying home doing nothing was way harder for me

Hello!

Today has been way better of a day! I was active and got things done. I also planned my upcoming birthday party with my friend. In the evening we had Fondue which was Delicious. The best moment today was meeting a shopkeeper's adorable daughter and her young puppy. The were so made for each other. I have done all the habits I set out to do today expect for one, but that's pretty well altogether. Even though I'm feeling way better now I still could consider just checking a thing, that I feel like caused the bad mood, out with a therapist.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Getting our plan forward with my friend
  • Meat fondue, completely new experience for me. It was great!
  • Holidays in 2 weeks
  • Finding a cool new shirt today
  • Having independence day tomorrow!

Hello! Today has been Awesome! Just an ideal day! After a weekend of sleeping, eating and relaxing I feel like I'm ready to face all the challenges again! Today I've got every single one of my habits done. We dined together with my family and I went out to hang with my friend in the evening. A great day. The best thing about today was spending time with my friend. We share the same kind of interests, so it's awesome hanging out with him. I still need to manage my schedule but it takes time to figure out what works for me.

As I mentioned earlier it might be beneficial to at least visit a psychiatrist about a thing that I noticed I might be unconsciously be affected by. Nothing serious but something I'd like to get clarity of.

Today I also finished Gorilla Mindset. In my opinion there was useful information in the book, but there was also some not so rational sections. I guess it's best to take the information I find useful. Tucker Max' podcast has been enjoyable to listen to. He is very of his own kind, I like that. And he gives good advice as well. I can relate to Geoff quite well so that is cool too.

Still got my weekly check to do so I'll be off to that! Have a good week guys!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Pomegranates, I should try to make ice cream out of it
  • Our go-to pizzeria, Always the top quality
  • Layla by Eric Clapton, that song is just Gold!
  • Oral hygiene, Bad breath is never enjoyable
  • Finding appropriately priced leather shoes

Hey Spinips! Glad you had such an awesome day!

Also glad that you're getting something out of the Tucker Max podcast. I agree Tucker is of his own kind, haha. He has more depth to him than I first suspected. I also relate to Geoff well... I have learned a ton from listening to them.

Trying to keep up with others journals better rather than just posting in my own :). 

Hope you can get clarify on that psychiatry issue you mention.

Have a good day.

Hello!

Today was another good day! Basically feeling productive and managing to get things done once again. My Stronglift weights are slowly getting nearer to my threshold. So far I've been really satisfied with the program. There has been some hard events happening in my social circle, I will give my family and friends the support I can.

The best thing today was joking and chatting to my friends. Going to a cafe was cool too!

My to read list continues growing. I'm really interested in books about psychology currently. For example positive and evolutionary biology are so interesting! The Selfish Gene is a book I must read among plenty of others. Do you guys know in which book the idea about you being the average of 5 persons you spend most time with was introduced (in addition to the Slight Edge)?

My priority/goal is to focus on my sleep schedule now, since it's more critical for me than I thought. I'm off to doze!

Hey Spinips! Glad you had such an awesome day!

Also glad that you're getting something out of the Tucker Max podcast. I agree Tucker is of his own kind, haha. He has more depth to him than I first suspected. I also relate to Geoff well... I have learned a ton from listening to them.

Trying to keep up with others journals better rather than just posting in my own :). 

Hope you can get clarify on that psychiatry issue you mention.

Have a good day.

Travis - I find reading other's journals really valuable, for example from reading your Journal i've picked up listening to the matinggrounds podcasts, from Tom's journal I've found Stronglift and good composers, and from Joe's journal I've found useful happy habits. And a lot more awesome information and book suggestions from other journals as well! Hope that you have a good day!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Internet, There is so much Great information around, websites about how to improve your life, book recommendations, mentors, I'm grateful to live in this age. (You just need to remember to be critical so you won't buy into all ridiculous shizzlewizzle around the internet, there are sites that will fuck you up as well :S .)
  • Cocoa, it has and endorphin boosting abilities and it tastes Awesome
  • How big of an impact your physical behavior has on your mental mood. I can definitely agree with Cartesian dualism, mind and body being different monads but affecting each other consistently.
  • Creating your own mini-library, just thinking about having a small shelf of good books around makes me happy
  • The way Jesuits viewed the world, they were not stagnant like many other monks, they studied and trained for decades, explored the world and did not force their beliefs on other cultures like other cultures/organizations have tended to do. If I lived in the 15th century I would no doubt join the Jesuits!

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a rush, so I'll make it quick. The books I ordered have arrived, I can get back to reading. Yay! xD Today has been overall an adequate day. Having to prioritize my presentation I've had to tune some other subjects down a little, but making good progress anyways. The best thing that happened today was cooking wok that turned out to be great, also reading Tucker and Miller's book was entertaining since they've flavored it up with awesome humour.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Sweet chili sauce, It works great as a spice
  • Finishing a classic finnish book the "Tuntematon Sotilas" (The Unknown Soldier). It gave great perspective about the war against Russia
  • Doing things with proper time, planning, working and checking the creation in no rush makes me feel like I've given my best and often leaves me feeling more satisfied with my work
  • Hearing about the Paleo-diet. I think its creators have a valid point
  • Getting plenty of sleep tonight as well!

I believe you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with was originally stated by Jim Rohn. I'm not sure if it was in one of his books or not. If you google Jim Rohn and that quote you will find some information. Jim Rohn was one of Tony Robbins' mentors.

Hello!

I'm going to have to make it quick once again! I'm in the middle of the Exam week, so there is plenty to do. Today has been a descent day. I've busy with all kinds of projects. I'm noticing, that I'm starting to slip from some of my habits, and that's no good. I will maintain at least the most important ones (happiness, eating, sleep, reading and exercise). The best thing that happened today was watching some entertaining Finnish MEP applicants.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Google docs, easy to plan presentations with your friends
  • Damson plum jam pies, They are delicious
  • Broccoli, It's so easy to prepare
  • New, warm and fine looking jacket
  • Meditation, I'm sure that it's one of the things keeping me sane in the middle of all this ado

I've had my habits slip a few times, and it's no big deal. It's to be expected. The important thing is how you respond to it. The best thing is to be honest with yourself when your habits are slipping, notice it, and take action to correct it and get yourself back on track.

It's kind of like with mindfulness meditation... your mind is always going to wander, so when you notice it, just bring it back to the breath. No harm done.

Good luck with the exams!

Edited by kortheo
typo

Hello!

Today has been a wonderful day! I managed to make satisfying work reviewing the "Tuntematon Sotilas". The presentation was a blast as well. It feels like I'm slowly improving with my presentation skills, since there have been quite a many performances around lately. I studied my subject well and had a light notes to help me through the course of the presentation. I missed my training once again for a reason that I could not have had an effect on, so I just decided to go meet a couple of my friends I hadn't seen in a long time. Afterwards I did some reflection about the last few weeks. I'm feeling satisfied since I was able to establish a few good ideas for a new core plan for daily schedule. Everything played out well in the end.

The best thing that happened today was the Presentation. I was able to relax and focus on explaining the phenomena I was interested in. I feel like I've drawn some motivation to improve myself as a speaker from watching awesome TED talks.

Overall I've got good insight on my daily routine and I feel pumped up to try the new schedule out!

Today I'm grateful for:

• Feedback, It's a good way to learn
  • Having time to sleep the hours I lost last night
  • Eating fish today, It contains healthy Omega 3 fatty acids!
  • The quote "Slow down to go fast", It's really applicable to western cultures tendency to look for big leaps instead of small steps
  • Civ V, even though it is the king of the "Just one more turn" games I was actually able to learn a ton of history from it. For instance I remember talking to a Thai girl and having an interesting conversation with her with the knowledge I I had learned from Siam through the game.

• The quote "Slow down to go fast", It's really applicable to western cultures tendency to look for big leaps instead of small steps

That's a staple of taijiquan. Have you tried it? I found it to be the perfect complement to jujutsu.

Hello!

Today was great, especially socially. I had a fresh start due to going to gym in the morning. I got to know a new guy from the gym, we had a pleasant chat. After gym I felt quite tired, those squats are really starting to take their toll. I probably should slow down the weight increase so I won't be totally dead the few following hours. I spent the evening together with my friends eating pizza and playing darts which was awesome. The best thing that happened today was definitely the delicious pizza and great company.

My habits are pretty much in check. I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. By the way I'm currently reading Tucker Max and Geoff Miller's book concerning mating, so far so good.

That's a staple of taijiquan. Have you tried it? I found it to be the perfect complement to jujutsu.

I have not tried it yet, but I might if I find a good class with proper timing. Thanks for the suggestion! Martial arts are always interesting.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Apples, I love the taste of the red/yellow ones
  • Karaoke, We sang together today, It was great
  • Assam+Earl Grey mix, It boosts my mornings
  • Walking, It's funny how it can change the atmosphere, for example I usually have good conversations with people when we are walking.
  • My friend's family's hospitality, It's awesome that they gave us the delicious pizza they made
Edited by SpiNips

Hello!

It's getting late, so I'll make it quick. Today was a great day. Completed my habits and spent time with my friends. I feel like it's going to take a lot of practice to improve my social skills and relationship skills, but I'll continue learning and experimenting day by day. The best thing today was going out with a friend I hadn't seen in a month.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Baked potatoes, They are delicious!
  • Metal, It's great to listen at times
  • Doing what I set out to do today, the improvement will follow
  • Kebab, how come I haven't mentioned it yet?
  • iPads, They actually work really well with studying
  • Amaranth by Nightwish

I feel like it's going to take a lot of practice to improve my social skills and relationship skills, but I'll continue learning and experimenting day by day.

If you focus on just meeting one new person every day, progress is bound to happen over time. It doesn't have to take a lot of work.

Hello!

I'm feeling good today. Worked hard on physics and I'm feeling that I understand the most critical entities. Sometimes I feel like physics is far from useful, but I believe that the feeling arises from the fact that I have to complete the courses in a bit of an awkward order. I decided that I will complete all courses I set out to do this year and then do the decision whether to enter the matriculation exams. That way I'll do the decision the most objectively. Been studying for the whole day, so now I'll try to take my mind out of the subject and focus on relaxing for a while before going to bed.

The best thing that happened today was a refreshing walk in the forest I took. It was quiet and snowy. It's relaxing to walk with snow crunching below your feet.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Having studied steadily during the whole period, no last day's panic
  • Listening to christmas songs like Hark! The herald angels sing
  • Mustard with smoked meat and bread, a really good combo
  • Finding plenty of interesting books to read
  • Popplet, a great tool for making mind maps!

Hello!

Wow! There are so many new journals popping up. I'll make some time to read them after the exams are over. Today was a pretty good day. Physics went quite well and now I'm preparing for swedish. The best thing today was stumbling upon a friend I made a couple summers ago. It was really fun seeing him and chatting for a while. 

Today I came across the idea of Philosophical meditation, I found it in somebody's journal I think. It was interesting and widened my perspective about meditation. I haven't really put thought into the ways of meditating, but I've got a sense that Eastern and Western meditation compliment each other quite well. 

Today I'm grateful for:

• Going to the gym, It was a good decision, meeting friends and exercising
  • Accepting the failures I've made since they are completely normal and won't make me a worse person
  • Socializing with new people today
  • Mandarins they cheer up my meals and taste great
  • Having plenty of time tomorrow!

Today I came across the idea of Philosophical meditation, I found it in somebody's journal I think. It was interesting and widened my perspective about meditation. I haven't really put thought into the ways of meditating, but I've got a sense that Eastern and Western meditation compliment each other quite well. 

It's possible I mentioned it at one point. Here's a great introduction:

http://www.thebookoflife.org/philosophical-meditation/

http://thephilosophersmail.com/PhilosophicalMeditation.pdf

Hello!

Today was a good day! Got my habits done and that's great. Training BJJ was good as well. Sparred opponents with similar skill levels. I'm going to invest time on that hobby more steadily, and make sure that my schedule supports it. The best thing today was going to see my friend. He has been busy with making the best of his time as well. As I listened to him I became fascinated by the fact that he has achieved connections with for example with The Finnish ambassador in EU. Even though I'm not into politics to that degree I can still see the point with being into it. For example my friend can just apply for a job and get a recommendation from a MEP. That's impressive if anything. I also feel like I should be spending more time with this guy. His work has really paid off! And I know that he has worked hard for it.

As I was thinking about the Eastern and Western meditation I thought about the Stoic quote: Work to change what you can and accept what you can't change. The Eastern is more about accepting and the Western is more about identifying and changing. They make a great pair. I think I'll introduce a little bit of western meditation to my everyday routine as well.

Today I'm grateful for:

• Talking with Paul, He is an amazing englishman who, in a way, is my idol. He's charismatic and has done all you can imagine.
  • Wrestling with people I enjoy wrestling with.
  • Being able to focus on history without it having too much of a draining effect on my energy-levels. It's great to see what interest can do.
  • Getting a haircut tomorrow, It's about time :P
  • Ballpoint pens, I don't know why but they are so much more pleasant to write with than for example a pencil