NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Every day is a new day

Silverlining

Day #18:

Tired after work. Felt restless. Didn't want to study or anything. Had no desire for gaming either. ?

Chatted online with my friend and my cousin. My besty lives in a different time zone now, and my family, including my favorite cousin, live very far away from me. I guess I miss them and this feeling is disguised as anxiety. Then talked with my husband on random topics for a loooong time and then went directly to sleep.

Online Course: 55 min

Edited by Silverlining

Day #19:

I think I found the reason why I didn't want to go to gym. It's the ending of day light saving time. I'm used to run around 9 pm. But now 9 pm is like 10 pm and I would feel too tired to run. This one hour of change really has some effect on my bio clock. I need to run around 8 pm now.

Online Course: 25 min
Learning together: 25 min

8 hours ago, Silverlining said:

But now 9 pm is like 10 pm and I would feel too tired to run. This one hour of change really has some effect on my bio clock. I need to run around 8 pm now.

Although of course, it's good to make things as easy as possible, be careful to not follow this principle in general. Sometimes, you gotta push through even if you're tired, even if you don't feel like it, even if you're in a bad mood, even if the environment or the money or opinions of others are not just right. This is what distinguishes the good from the great - excelling at times when other people would quit. 

I don't mean to preach, just my 2 cents ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustTom said:

Although of course, it's good to make things as easy as possible, be careful to not follow this principle in general. Sometimes, you gotta push through even if you're tired, even if you don't feel like it, even if you're in a bad mood, even if the environment or the money or opinions of others are not just right. This is what distinguishes the good from the great - excelling at times when other people would quit. 

I don't mean to preach, just my 2 cents ?

?I agree with you.

Of course my biggest problem is not the day light saving time or missing my friends too much or just too tired. It's my lack of self-control, the main reason why I was addicted to games in the first place. I found so many excuses to deny that I failed to push myself consistently, mostly because I couldn't accept that I failed. The good news is that for the past few days, I have no desire for games whatsoever. ? Perhaps I am not that into games after all. Gaming is just a way that I used to escape from the real world.

Thank you. You are absolutely right. 

• Like 1

Day #22:

I am writing my diary/daily summary in the morning for the day before from time to time, mainly because turning off my PC is no longer the last thing I do before going to bed.

Now that I'm on my 4th week, I want more challenges. I did HIIT instead of cardio yesterday, which is a start. 

I also expect to improve my learning skills, with the knowledge I learned from Learning How to Learn, which, again, I strongly recommend.

And I want to be more efficient at work by optimizing some processes. Nobody at work really cares about this -- one reason why I don't like my job. No reward for efficiency. But I think I will benefit from this. I can use the extra time to study more on the industry.

The idea is, by spending the same amount time on things that I normally do, I want to do better.

Study for exam: 50 min
Exercise: 40 min
Online course: 75 min
Learning together: 50 min
Piano: 30 min

• Like 2

Day #24-26

Feeling great!

So an old-time gaming friend contacted me on day #24. She invited me back to the game for an annual event at the end of Dec.
I said yes.
Apparently I'm not good at saying no. I don't even want to play that game any more. But she was full of enthusiasm and I just couldn't turn her down, because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. 
Also, I never told my gaming friends that I quit gaming. I don't know why but I just couldn't. I said that I would be busy and needed to be AFK for a while.
It took me a whole day to gather the courage to tell her that I would not go back to the game for the event. Still not telling her the full story. But at least I said no. ?

1 hour ago, Silverlining said:

It took me a whole day to gather the courage to tell her that I would not go back to the game for the event. Still not telling her the full story. But at least I said no. ?

Good job! I feel like the social aspect of gaming was a big pull for you, so this is something you need to be very cautious of, and to not rationalize going back to gaming with "meeting friends". Keep going!

• Like 2

Holy crap! Day 26 already? It feels like just last week you were just starting up this journal for the first time.

You've come incredibly far from your Day 1 in less than a month's time. I'm excited to see how much more you'll grow on the way to 90 days!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 10:50 PM, JustTom said:

Good job! I feel like the social aspect of gaming was a big pull for you, so this is something you need to be very cautious of, and to not rationalize going back to gaming with "meeting friends". Keep going!

?I have come up with a solution. Next time I'll just tell them I have changed my old computer to a Mac.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, Deku said:

Holy crap! Day 26 already? It feels like just last week you were just starting up this journal for the first time.

You've come incredibly far from your Day 1 in less than a month's time. I'm excited to see how much more you'll grow on the way to 90 days!

Thank you!

This forum is magical! I have changed so much. And I have also witnessed the changes of my fellow game quitters (including you). Keep it up!

Day #28:

My 4-week summary:

Untitled.thumb.png.6e9d70acfa15c1add63f493c4a825c43.png

Weekly objectives:

Went to the gym every day: ✔️ Even on Thursday, when I had a headache.

Optimized some processes at work: ✔️

Spent the extra time at work to study on the industry:  I read about stay-at-home mom and pregnancy instead. I'm a little stressed about these plans in my near future. Nothing I can't handle though. I have definitely become stronger for the past few weeks ?

Did more HIIT: ✔️ 3 out of 7 days.

Improved my learning skills with the techniques learned from Learning How to Learn✔️ but not enough. I used deliberate practice and tried to avoid some illusions of competence, but not other skills.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 6:12 AM, Silverlining said:

Day #28:

My 4-week summary:

Untitled.thumb.png.6e9d70acfa15c1add63f493c4a825c43.png

Weekly objectives:

Went to the gym every day: ✔️ Even on Thursday, when I had a headache.

Optimized some processes at work: ✔️

Spent the extra time at work to study on the industry:  I read about stay-at-home mom and pregnancy instead. I'm a little stressed about these plans in my near future. Nothing I can't handle though. I have definitely become stronger for the past few weeks ?

Did more HIIT: ✔️ 3 out of 7 days.

Improved my learning skills with the techniques learned from Learning How to Learn✔️ but not enough. I used deliberate practice and tried to avoid some illusions of competence, but not other skills.

Keep that work up !!!  4 weeks already!!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:49 AM, Silverlining said:

I never told my gaming friends that I quit gaming. I don't know why but I just couldn't. I said that I would be busy and needed to be AFK for a while.

I don't like sharing that sort of information either, and for me it's for two reasons: Firstly, when you announce that people will pay it too much attention, ask you about it and make it a thing to talk about. I'm like, no ty, this is my personal thing. Secondly, they might make it harder if they get emotional or worse, like being dramatic that you're going to disappear etc. Me personally? I have seen that 99% of gaming people only care about me because they want to game with me, it's just that, it stays dependent on the game and not necessarily or heavily on my personality, at all, which makes me say f_ck it, they don't need to know what I'm going through.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fawn_xoxo said:

I don't like sharing that sort of information either, and for me it's for two reasons: Firstly, when you announce that people will pay it too much attention, ask you about it and make it a thing to talk about. I'm like, no ty, this is my personal thing. Secondly, they might make it harder if they get emotional or worse, like being dramatic that you're going to disappear etc. Me personally? I have seen that 99% of gaming people only care about me because they want to game with me, it's just that, it stays dependent on the game and not necessarily or heavily on my personality, at all, which makes me say f_ck it, they don't need to know what I'm going through.

You are right. After all these years of gaming, there are only a couple of my game friends who stay friends with me in real life ?

Day 29 - 31

We spent sometime with friends on Sunday. Had a big dinner. Played board games. Meeting them again tmr for Thanksgiving. ?

Saw Fantastic Beasts 2 yesterday. My hubby is not a HP fan (saw a few movies, never read a book) so he got super confused, lol.

Today I completed the first course on Coursera ever since I quit gaming. I got 100%, mainly because the quizzes were easy to build students' confidence. I did take them seriously though ? There is still an optional final project, which I plan to work on this weekend. The course is "Learning How to Learn". It's been super helpful to me. I'll post my final project here if possible ?

And I saw the grades of the 3 courses that I took a few years ago. I can't believe how irresponsible I was back then. The course which I got 70%, is for a programming language that I have been using about 10% of time at work. I guess back then I just didn't care enough to work hard on those assignments and quizzes --  they did not give me the same level of "satisfaction" as what games could give me at that time. Not even close.

Untitled1.png.38dd39b3d8cb3c309109a09c690031df.png

• Like 1

Day 32 - 36

It's been a long holiday! I stopped keeping my journal... even the private one.

Spent a lot of time socializing with friends for the past few days. Went to a party on Thursday. Hosted a party on Friday. Had a friend staying over. Saw movies.

My daily routines were messed up. Didn't exercise enough either.

In general it was all very festive.

Although I did miss all the study time and I managed to finish the optional final project for Learning How to Learn between parties and dinners. I was kind of rushing it and not quite satisfied with it though. 

Learning How to Learn Final Project.pdf

• Like 3