NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Trying the 90 day detox once again after a long relapse

Mr. Ém

Hello everyone!

My name is Emile, I am 20 years old and I am an engineering student (currently doing my second year). Last october, I had a first try at the 90 day detox and it took around two weeks for me to relapse. I would say that I failed because I didn't really understand the reason as to why I was addicted to video games and the last two months helped me realise the reason.

To give a little bit of context, I failed my first try at the detox, but it didn't seem as things were going bad. I succeeded in all of my classes, I had a girlfriend and I managed to do the things I needed. Still, with the lockdown, my social life has been seriously affected. Aside from my past relationship, there's was not much. 

Near the end of January, I got dumped by a girl I really loved and it really took me by surprise. I was devastated. After a while, I told myself that I couldn't just keep being sad and that I needed to work on myself. As a result, I've spent more time calling my friends and being with my family. Plus, I've go back into training for the past 4 weeks. Even though I've not fully moved on, I can say that I feel better. 

During those weeks, I tried playing video games, but I wasn't having fun. I couldn't understand why at first, but while working on myself and talking to other people, I thought about it and I think I found the answer. I believe that the reason as to why I played so much is because of a lack of social interactions. During my childhood and my teenage years, I spent most of my free time gaming, which prevented me from developping social skills and even though I became better at it during college, the lockdown was no help. 

This day marks the beginning of my second try at the 90 day detox. To help me go through this, I'll try doing new social activities (the ones that I can since Covid is not gone) and I'll continue training since I believe it will help me be more confident in myself.

Thank you for reading an have a nice day!

Days without gaming: 1

Edited by Mr. Ém
  • Like 5

Hey, 

Glad to hear everything is going well! Something I noticed is that the more busy you are, the less you'll be inclined to do those bad habits (web surfing, youtube, gaming).

I wish you luck on the rest of your journey

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey!

It's been 8 more days without games and I still feel good. However, in the last three days, I'm trying to quit watching youtube videos. I don't watch gaming related stuff, but I still waste a lot of time watching that I don't even care about afterwards. I feel a bit bored when I don't watch videos. 

Any ideas to help me cut Youtube?

Days without gaming: 26

• Like 2

Youtube has always been a problem for me. I recommend if you have it as an app on anything delete it. If you have easy access to it, the more you'll want to head there. If you're on a computer, there are many website blockers you can use. Chrome has the undistracted extension that blocks things like instagram, reddit, twitter and youtube. One more thing I'd say is fill time with things you love. You're probably already trying to do that, but if you try to do something you find boring then you're more likely to head to a video on youtube or a game. So find what you love doing and you'll have an easier time abstaining from youtube.

Best 

Jason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Ém said:

Hey!

It's been 8 more days without games and I still feel good. However, in the last three days, I'm trying to quit watching youtube videos. I don't watch gaming related stuff, but I still waste a lot of time watching that I don't even care about afterwards. I feel a bit bored when I don't watch videos. 

Any ideas to help me cut Youtube?

Days without gaming: 26

Way to go, keep it up! 
Regarding YouTube, if you want to cut it completely, then delete it or use an app blocker like Freedom. I recommend uninstalling it though. Getting a planner and timestamping your day the night before is really helpful. Not only can you be more productive but also you can fill in all those downtimes, when you might watch YouTube, with other activities, hobbies, or tasks.

• Like 1

Hey!

It's been 5 more days without games and things are going great! Still struggling with Youtube, but I'm working on it 🙂

I have done one third of the 90 day detox. Less than 60 more days to go!

Days without gaming: 31

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

It's been 15 more days since the last time I wrote something here. This means I am halfway through the 90 day gaming detox. Things are going really well! Maybe even better than I imagined. I've restricted myself when it comes to youtube and I only use it to listen to music. During the first half of this detox, urges came once in a while, but I feel much better. Can't wait to do the second part of it!

Days without gaming: 45! 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

It's been three more weeks since last time. I'm still going forward with the detox, but those weeks were more difficult since I kept having urges to play. On the good side of things, having an internship really helps mitigate the desire to game.

Days without gaming: 66

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:35 AM, Mr. Ém said:

Hi everyone!

My urges became less problematic for the last 10 days and it feels great to overcome them when they come! I'm getting closer to the objective 🙂

Days without gaming: 77 (including today)

Yes! This is the home stretch. Reading through your last few posts I can feel your positivity. Keep strong til the end 😃

• Like 1