Limited Time: Book a 1 on 1 coaching session (1hr) with Cam ($97). Click Here.

The mountains are calling...

62 posts in this topic

Posted

What is your novel about?

I think my @ function is broken on firefox with all the adblockers I use. - Will try and figure it out in the future.

The genre is Fantasy, possibly skewing YA.

So far I have a setting: Alpine, mountain fortress school. - Some young warrior style monks.

I have a few characters vaugely drafted. - The work I still need to do is instilling who they really are, then plotting through the acts, write a few scene, do some dialogue back and forth to get a good feeling for writing the characters.

I also want to challenge myself to read a few romance novels and add elements of that. I haven't read much of the genre ... ever. And I feel like a lot of the fantasy novels I read by male authors do a one dimensional job of creating relationships between their characters and romance completely focuses on the interpersonal relationships between characters, creating tension through their interactions. So I want to lift elements of that.

Lots of work to be done!

Posted

What is YA?

Haha. You'll never catch me reading a romance novel. I have been thinking of writing a novel but I have been having doubts. I have a lot of ideas floating round my head and I feel like I should externalise them in something to preserve them. But I am content with just sharing these through my art.

Posted

Day #8

Had a lot of trouble sleeping last night. Had a crazy dream where my dog was laying up on the bed with me. I was petting her, everything was nice and relaxed, then I woke up and she wasn't there and my heart started racing. Freaked out when I couldn't find her. Of course, she was away in the den for the night... starting to wonder if she's trying to tell me she wants to be sleeping with us again.

Was very unfocused today. Had trouble getting to work. Have a lot of projects that are stalled out or with incomplete information. Poked away at a few things until a client meeting in the afternoon. Very nice people, they're very well-versed in their business and it was great discussing it with them. I enjoyed that and got some work towards completing their project done later in the day.  Need to get more done before I start drowning in tax season.

Watched some Zero Punctuation on youtube and did a fair bit of mindless news surfing. - Time to cutoff the news too. The Oscars marketing stunt last night blew me away. Still not enough to get me to watch the program, but interesting strategy... will have to see if they manage to leverage it to prop up historically low ratings.

Had a great chat with my parents this evening. Checked in with my dad about doing the mountaineering program and he's very excited. It's going to be great!

Gratitude journal

My parents for their support.

One amazing thing that happened/I did today

Ran my first client meeting as a Chartered Accountant. Was well prepared, professional, felt very good!

Workout/run

Taking a rest day!

Meditation

5 minutes - breath awareness - simple! :)

Reading + taking notes

Going to try and finish Fifteen Dogs tonight. - It's an odd book. Think I'll start Throne of Glass next.

YA = Young Adult if @Schwing finds this buried in here.

Weekly Goal(s)

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday

Journal daily - So far, so good.

New for the week: Complete character arc worksheets for three protagonists. 

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town.

Use Training for the New Alpinism to assist in shaping training plan. Got the book on my nightstand.  It's screaming to be used.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Going to clear the vacation dates with work tomorrow and book it. Hell yeah!

3 Month Goal

Climb 1x technical, 1x non-technical 11,000er in the Canadian Rockies. May need to bump part of this out to 6 months.

Outline novel. Chunking this. Creating manageable pieces relating to it in my weekly goals.

Do an editing pass of one of my shorts. Did some work "scribing" then re-writing a scene. Went fairly well. Need to devote more time to it.

What went well today:

Solidified plans for beginner mountaineering class!

Great client meeting.

Nice chat with family.

What I could have done to make my day better:

I tried to tell my brain I had a "class" scheduled at 7:30-8:30 where I would be working on my character arc sheets. GF came home at 7:20 and I let myself get completely sidetracked. Had a nice chat with her, but need to follow through on writing.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Sundays - weekly reflection

What went well and what I could have done better will hold the misc accomplishments going forward.

Think I'm going to read Throne of Glass next.

1 person likes this

Posted

Day #9

Didn't have time to think about gaming today. Didn't have much time to think about anything. Worked, climbed, worked out, watched the Oilers make a baffling trade and hang on to a game they had no business being in.

Gratitude journal

Thanks to the world for coming through on something I started trying to acquire months ago.

Climbed a 5.11D just to remind myself I can. - took 5 takes and a bloody finger, but thrashed it.

Workout/run

Climbed, lots of nice easy/moderate stuff then the 11D. Then another 5.9 on the tall wall for mileage... wasn't gassed, not at all 9_9

Squat 5x5 125

OHP 5x5 75

Deadlift 1x5 150

Meditation

5 minutes - breath awareness - simple, loving it! :)

Reading + taking notes

Didn't quite finish Fifteen Dogs - Little ways to go. Interested to see how it ends. Will be interesting to see if the author goes black and white or leaves it a mess of shades of grey. If I was putting money down, it'd be on grey.

Weekly Goal(s)

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town.

Use Training for the New Alpinism to assist in shaping training plan. Got the book on my nightstand.  It's screaming to be used.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Going to clear the vacation dates with work tomorrow and book it. Hell yeah! - Deferred to Thursday

3 Month Goal

Climb 1x technical, 1x non-technical 11,000er in the Canadian Rockies. May need to bump part of this out to 6 months.

Outline novel. Chunking this. Creating manageable pieces relating to it in my weekly goals.

Do an editing pass of one of my shorts. Did some work "scribing" then re-writing a scene. Went fairly well. Need to devote more time to it.

What went well today:

Climbing

Appointments

Working

Working out

Stop staring at my stronglifts graphs from 2 years and wondering "what if..." it's in the past. Starting over again... again. It's not a new lesson, time to stop learning the same lesson over and over.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Nothing today. - Going to carve out some more time shortly to read more journals and get more active commenting.

Posted

Day #10 - Weds

Early morning - Training day for tax season. Overall great day brushing up on the tax code.

Finished reading my book, emotionally wrecked. My GF said not to read books with dogs in them, they're only there for one reason... Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Marley & Me... they all end the same. :(

LOVING not gaming. - After finishing the book, watched Cam's interview with the CHAS up in Calgary. - The Q&A was pretty incredible to me. Heard a number of questions that echoed my own to Cam - Looking forward to seeing how he plans to grow things going forward. The auditor in me did some digging on the organization - http://chascalgary.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2016-CHAS-Audited-FS.pdf - The level of transparency they have is pretty incredible. For the 2016 year on $522,000 in revenue generated, they provided $501,900 directly to charitable organizations. - Great year. Page 8 was the most interesting to me. - Complete breakdown of the organizations funded and the amounts endowed. Some interesting trends there in organizational support and funds provided.

With Cam's recent work in Tanzania I wonder if he's considered reaching out to the Aga Khan Foundation - is gaming an issue in Africa? I tried to dig into more organizations that could potentially support gamequitters through https://charityvillage.com/directories/funders/canadian-foundations.aspx and was overwhelmed by the sheer number out there.

Gratitude journal

Thanks to the presenters putting on our tax course for keeping things interesting. For their clear enthusiasm in the subject matter.

Had one of those days of clarity - strong attention - focused. Love them.

Workout/run

Taking another rest day - laid out the week and realized I didn't need to double up yesterday. Whoops.

Meditation

5 minutes - breath awareness - simple.

Reading + taking notes

Fifteen Dogs had five chapters. At the end of chapter four I was sad and shortly after, upset there was more... it didn't make any sense. The only character with any development at all was gone. Why continue on? - The last chapter managed to successfully build a character, explore what it is to be human. Get just to the edge of being insufferably pretentious, then pull my heartstrings until I finished the last page and threw it away... It was worth struggling through.

What went well today:

Finished my book, put dishes away.

Make some progress on writing plans. - Letting myself procrastinate with "projects" that aren't on track. - Need to "note" new ideas and set them aside.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Get June vacation solidified tomorrow.

Need to review past journal entries, make sure nothing is slipping through the cracks.

******************************************************************************************************************

Since there repeat so much, moving them all to the end. - Going to see if I stop reviewing them each day, if so will end up moving them back.

Weekly Goal(s) - Monday start

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday - So far 1x Climb, 1x Stronglifts

Monthly Goal

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Going to clear the vacation dates with work tomorrow and book it. Hell yeah!

3 Month Goal

Posted

Day #11 - Thurs

Got up very early to try and get in most of a full day before having to leave at 2.

Exhausted this afternoon after driving back and forth for a couple hours.

Spent a lot of time mindlessly surfing the internet. I'm replacing reddit with sports news, "news" news, twitter, and facebook. Need to monitor / address.

Gratitude journal

GF for grocery shopping. It's an errand I really dislike, I'm thankful when she takes it on.

Did not feel like working out. Did not feel like meditating... or vaccuuming... or cooking. Did them ALL anyway. Going to have to watch for activity hangover tomorrow, feel like I've got some negative mental karma coming.

Workout/run

Squat 5x5 130

Bench 5x5 115

Row 5x5 110

Looking forward to the continued progress on Stronglifts. - I want to follow through all 90 days - would be the most consistent I've been since I started in the gym.

Meditation

Reading + taking notes

Listened to a couple chapters of Red Queen. I may not need to track down romance novels, this YA has enough elements of the love triangle to be a clinic. My understanding is it wasn't outlined beforehand, so I'm apprehensive about the story construction. Great examples of problem, solution, problem, solution over and over and over.

What went well today:

Work on existing project. - Getting organized.

Got information for June figured out. Just needed to discuss dates, will get it all booked tomorrow.

Start on other work projects, starting to fall behind. - Get on it tomorrow - solidify working Saturday.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Need to review past journal entries, make sure nothing is slipping through the cracks.

******************************************************************************************************************

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday - So far 1x Climb, 2x Stronglifts

Monthly Goal

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Weekend. Booking it. Hell yeah!

3 Month Goal

Posted (edited)

Day #12 - Friday

Got into work at a decent hour, had a very slow day. - Weird for this time of year. Need to get moving or it's going to bite me later in the month.

Was completely distracted. - Wouldn't allow myself to focus, consumed by flipping from one app to another on my phone, flipping through the news over and over and over again. Bad habit. Need to extend the reddit disconnect to the news and put the phone away for the day. Nothing is so important it can't wait til 5. Emergencies ... people have my work phone number.

Saw @Hitaru mention an app called Daylio to track moods. - I've thought about doing this for a long time and haven't followed through. This app is so simple, it's exactly what I'm looking for! Here's hoping it's a positive tool in my journey.

My dad's coming down tonight and we plan to go skiing tomorrow. There's a snowfall warning in effect: Fingers crossed for epic powder day.

Gratitude journal

Work caters lunches on Fridays during tax season. Grateful for the wonderful people who got together and the great food today!

Had a great conversation with my GF. Animated, fun, managed to touch on American politics without it becoming a trainwreck then kept chatting about life, the universe, and everything. The politics are something she's very passionate about and I haven't been willing to really talk about them much at all. I tried to put a succinct philosophy together of what it is I love about her in @Schwing's daily journal and it really helped remind me how much she means to me.

Workout/run

Climbed for an hour and a half. Worked a couple different 5.11's. Got absolutely wrecked by each... which is fine. Getting a feel for things, no specific process right now except mileage. Get in the gym, do the work.

Meditation

Reading + taking notes

Listened to more Red Queen. - Getting close to the end - Need to decide if I'm going to continue the series.

What went well today:

Fun chats with co-workers.

Good climb.

Great evening with GF.

Got vacation requests figured out!

Put the phone away at work. Focus.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday - So far 2x Climb, 2x Stronglifts

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Good chats with people at work for options, going to investigate some closeby towns too.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Vacation approved, gonna chat with dad tonight - then it's booked!

3 Month Goal

Edited by Simms
Fix broken @member links.

Posted

Day #13 - Saturday

Got up early, made our way to the ski-hill early. - Good thing, it was crazy backed up on the highway and the parking lot was FULL by the end of the day. Cars all the way down a 6km access road to the highway.

Had a great day skiing. Amazing snow conditions and it cleared out into bluebird skies for a couple hours. The nice thing about having quit gaming is I wasn't distracted at all during the day thinking about what I was going to play in the evening, or what game related "achievement" I needed to chase later. Knee is giving me some trouble, I need to spend more time on stabilizer exercises to strengthen it.

Planned to go climbing with some friends from the city, but with the roads in bad shape they didn't make it out. Went with my GF anyway and had a pretty good day. Feel very worn out right now and still have a dinner to meet up with other friends later to go to.

Gratitude journal

Dad and GF for a great ski day.

Wasn't cold all day. Been enjoying skiing less and less lately due to the cold temps. Nice to have a great day.

Workout/run

Climbed for an hour and a half. Worked a couple different 5.11's again. Already wrecked. More mileage. No progress to speak of. Need a rest day shortly.

Meditation

N/A today.

Reading + taking notes

No reading today.

What went well today:

Ski

Climb

Sleep in tomorrow. - Sleep debt catching up.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Left the hardest part of my weekly goals until Sunday. Not making it easy for success.

Dad's very excited about alpine trip. Keep him on track doing some training.

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday - So far 3x Climb, 2x Stronglifts

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Good chats with people at work for options, going to investigate some closeby towns too.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Vacation approved, gonna chat with dad tonight - then it's booked!

3 Month Goal

Posted

Day #14 - Sunday

Totally exhausted when I woke up this morning. So glad I managed to get 9-1/2 hours of sleep. A little bit hungover from being out last night.

Dinner with friends last night went great - They're old friends and we got to catch up on a lot of things. They gave me some good natured shit for not setting up Halo nights anymore. I danced around it. They were only in town for the weekend and headed back to their hometowns today.

Had a nice chat with dad as the snow fell like crazy outside. He made his way back home too.

Had a really hard time today when they started bouncing around playing Halo in our google group. It's the primary way we keep in touch. Managed to not play by working out and watching a couple hours of TV. It felt good to recharge the batteries with some mindless entertainment. The past 2 weeks have been a ton of effort, physically and mentally.

Started a climbing skills course tonight. The group of people seem great, looking forward to seeing where it takes me.

Gratitude journal

Tadashi for being an amazing climbing instructor.

Went for a nice walk with the dogs in the foot of snow we've gotten over the weekend.

Workout/run

Squats 5x5 - 135

OHP 5x5 - 80

Deads 1x5 - 155

Climbed for 2 hours with some instruction. No hard routes. Lots of mindfullness exercises on feet and body position.

Meditation

N/A today.

Reading + taking notes

Finished listening to Red Queen today. - Pretty good twist ending. - In hindsight I should have seen it coming. It retroactively fixed a lot of the things that were bugging me that were accumulating as plot holes.

What went well today:

Walking the dogs, working out, getting most chores started.

I didn't achieve my weekly writing goal. Instead of pushing through and getting it done, I went and watched 3 episodes of TV. Could have been time better spent.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Left the hardest part of my weekly goals until Sunday. Not making it easy for success. - Fell down on it this week.

Dad's very excited about alpine trip. Keep him on track doing some training.

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - Skiing Sunday - Week complete with 4x Climb, 3x Stronglifts - Skied Saturday

New for the week: Complete character arc worksheets for three protagonists. - Pushed to next week

Track mood daily at least twice on Daylio: So far - 3 day streak

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Friend LOVES mountain biking. - Going to follow his advice and spend the year renting high end stuff to see what I like.

3 Month Goal

Top-rope a 5.12a successfully on the tall wall.

Outline novel. Chunking this. Creating manageable pieces relating to it in my weekly goals. - May need to evaluate if novel work is realistic with work and physical committments.

Do an editing pass of one of my shorts.

2 people like this

Posted

Day #15 - Monday

Pretty boring day. - Work went pretty well. - Worked late.

Feeling tired. - Managed to pull a download of my stronglifts over the past 3 years. - Best streak was 30 workouts in 3 months. Aiming, and on track to knock the doors off that.

Planning some scrambles around the local trails to start building fitness for ascents, all the extra light in long days is fantastic.

Buddies wanna play Halo and I'm having trouble saying no. Already envisioning a beer fueled Friday night. Amazing how easy it is to rationalize behavior.

Gratitude journal

The white dog for being the cutest. The black dog for being my love.

Made sense of the most difficult GST situation I've ever had to sort through. - Line your reporting periods up with your year end, ahhhhhhhh.

Workout/run

Rest day.

Meditation

Time to get back to it. 5 minutes, breath awareness.

Reading + taking notes

Not reading anything.

What went well today:

Had a solid 8 hours of productive work.

Had 2 unproductive hours.

Could have packed more food.

Misc thoughts and plans:

The news doesn't add anything to my life. Time to drop it too.

Did a quick exercise with my facebook feed - Looked at the first 10 items displayed:

1 - Video from yesterday's Canadian National Bouldering championships. - Interesting but not something I'm interested in watching.

2 - Ad for Whistler Blackcomb - Don't care

3 - High School friend I haven't talked to in 10 years posting picture of kids. - Scrolled right past.

4 - Old work friend "interested" in an Infant CPR course - Scrolled right past.

5 - For some reason the same as #3...

6 - Ad for Marmot basin - Don't care...

7 - Friend liked My Sunshine Creations? Some dinosaur kids stuff. Scrolled right past.

8 - Ad for Travelphotoswiki Busabout? No idea what that is. - Scrolled right past.

9 - Oilersnation post about Senior Hockey - Rolls eyes, scrolls past.

10 - Old work friend posted a travel meme...

So in 10 posts, 1 thing I'm vaugely interested in, 1 I'd normally care about but was pushing their credibility to build awareness of a fringe league, and 8 garbage. That's probably better than the signal to noise ratio I got on reddit too... I need some way to fill downtime / take a break. My brain is so hardwired to flip through the internet I can't think of anything else to do.

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x

Track mood daily at least twice on Daylio: So far - 4 day streak

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Friend LOVES mountain biking. - Going to follow his advice and spend the year renting high end stuff to see what I like.

3 Month Goal

Outline novel. Chunking this. Creating manageable pieces relating to it in my weekly goals. - May need to evaluate if novel work is realistic with work and physical committments.

Posted

Buddies wanna play Halo and I'm having trouble saying no. Already envisioning a beer fueled Friday night. Amazing how easy it is to rationalize behavior.

Managing your friends during this time is a huge part of your success. Stay focused bro, you're doing great.

1 person likes this

Posted

Day #16 - Tuesday

Had the first legit "rad" mood for a couple hours this morning at work. Just felt unstoppable. Crushed through a bunch of difficult work that had been building and creating stress through the building.

Had a boxing, circuit style fitness class over lunch. It's been on hiatus the past two weeks and my hope was the workouts would keep it from completely kicking my ass. - Not quite the case, but felt like I gave it a better effort than before we went into the break.

Still feeling good through the afternoon. Got more things done, in a good place moving forward with the week.

Went climbing after work and had an awful experience. It was super busy in the gym. I'm still fairly new to the area, so I jumped on a rope, easy 5.8 to warm up. Got about 3/4 of the way up and my GF and one of the staff are shouting at me, I look down and the staff half-heartedly yells "DON'T CLIMB ON THE ROPE NEXT TO ANOTHER CLIMBER WHEN THEY'RE LEADING." I look to my left at a guy hanging on the wall on a take, clearly leading, and give a thumbs up to the staffer. I've basically already passed the guy so he says don't worry about it.  My girlfriend being a decent human being tells them: Sorry, we didn't know. One of the bro's hanging out with the guy belaying replies: "Whatever, not our problem if he gets rocked when buddy takes a fall." Something just so utterly toolish and offensive she was speechless. I get down not knowing this and was gonna say something along the lines of "sorry" and they turn away and he starts doing superman push-ups against the wall... I turn away and sort of shrug it off as a wtf moment until I hear what they said to my GF... super unimpressed. For all they know we're new to the sport and they've just turned us off forever by being complete tools. My blood is boiling about it still, so had to vent. It's tough to "learn" something in a very negative way.

The odd thing is "mood-wise" I still feel good. - It took longer than I'd like during the rest of the climb to shake the negative vibes from the bro-patrol, but just looking inwards and spending time with the GF... it was a good day.

Read a lot about Zelda: Breath of the Wild today. - It's so weird to do this whole write-up about the important things in my day, then think about the time spent reading about videogame related stuff. It seems so out of place. Out of sync with life. - There's an idea there I want to explore more, just need to poke around the edges of it to find what exactly it is.

Gratitude journal

The staff member for teaching me more about the gym we frequent.

Fought my way up a tough 11b/c with a ton of takes on top-rope that I couldn't get 1/2 way up before starting all this. - Progress!

Workout/run

Boxing class

Climbing!

Meditation

5 minutes, breath awareness in the morning, might have helped contribute to the rad morning... hrrrrm.

Reading + taking notes

Not reading anything.

What went well today:

Had a solid 8 hours of productive work.

Pack lunch ahead of time.

Ended up wasting time on news sites again.

Misc thoughts and plans:

Got a week's vacation planned out in July. Would be nice if I've worked so hard from now until then that it's a well deserved "rest week"

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - So far 1x climb

Track mood daily at least twice on Daylio: So far - 5 day streak

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Friends gonna let me know when the first Demo days start up.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Boooooooooooooooooked. OMG.

3 Month Goal

Posted

Day #17 - Wednesday

Day went great til noon, then something just broke in my head. No matter what tricks, walks I took, music I put on, I couldn't get back on track. Shut things down at 4:30 even though I had tons of work left to do. Frustrated... normally this would result in heading straight home, firing up the Xbox and playing Halo until going to bed. It's only on reflection right now that I truly appreciate just how much taking that "option" away has improved my quality of life. Even with the afternoon of work basically a wash, I managed to follow through on some goals.

Stopped at the post office, picked up the 5kg bag of protein I'd ordered. If you've never seen a 5kg (11 pounds) sack of protein... it's big. Comically big. I'd just run out of unflavoured for my smoothies so the timing of it showing up was great.  Went over to Canadian Tire to buy some ice melt and an ice chopper to clear the driveway. Got home, played with the dogs, and got down to work. Clearing set ice from a driveway is an insane workout, and my shoulders already kill from boxing yesterday. An inner fire to get it done after losing the afternoon powered me though. The pups started picking up their feet it was so cold so I put them inside until I'd finished. Standing at the end of the driveway. Bare pavement on display gave me a great feeling of satisfaction. Went back to the house, grabbed the dogs and we did a loop around the neighbourhood.

Crushed my workout... had a smoothie, and now I'm reflecting here. For a day that easily could and probably would have been a trainwreck, I feel reinvigorated and ready to attack tomorrow.

Gratitude journal

The gamequitters community for providing a platform to reflect, share, and learn.

Making something good out of a day that had "nothing" written all over it.

Workout/run

Squat 5x5 - 140

Bench 5x5 - 120

Bent row 5x5 - 115

Snow shoveling!

Meditation

5 minutes, breath awareness just before writing all this. Mind was very scattered. Sometimes I think about meditation like a night of sleep where I've woken up a dozen times. instead of waking up, I note the general feeling of how much my mind wandered. Today, like many previous, it was a lot.

Reading + taking notes

Started listening to Words of Radiance again. - Might start a new book on the weekend, need to look at my options.

What went well today:

4 good hours of work.

Amazing afternoon

Pack lunch ahead of time.

Ended up wasting time on news sites again. - Come up with better strategies for when the day is getting away from me.

Misc thoughts and plans:

I feel strong again. Something is building. Stoking the fire

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - So far 1x climb, 1x stronglifts

Track mood daily at least twice on Daylio: So far - 6 day streak

Monthly Goal

Information gathering on buying a mountain bike. - Visit the bike shops in town. Friends gonna let me know when the first Demo days start up.

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Dates set in stone. Sent my brother a text today to see if he wants to join our group.

3 Month Goal

1 person likes this

Posted

Day #17 - Wednesday

Day went great til noon, then something just broke in my head. No matter what tricks, walks I took, music I put on, I couldn't get back on track. Shut things down at 4:30 even though I had tons of work left to do. Frustrated... normally this would result in heading straight home, firing up the Xbox and playing Halo until going to bed. It's only on reflection right now that I truly appreciate just how much taking that "option" away has improved my quality of life. Even with the afternoon of work basically a wash, I managed to follow through on some goals.

Stopped at the post office, picked up the 5kg bag of protein I'd ordered. If you've never seen a 5kg (11 pounds) sack of protein... it's big. Comically big. I'd just run out of unflavoured for my smoothies so the timing of it showing up was great.  Went over to Canadian Tire to buy some ice melt and an ice chopper to clear the driveway. Got home, played with the dogs, and got down to work. Clearing set ice from a driveway is an insane workout, and my shoulders already kill from boxing yesterday. An inner fire to get it done after losing the afternoon powered me though. The pups started picking up their feet it was so cold so I put them inside until I'd finished. Standing at the end of the driveway. Bare pavement on display gave me a great feeling of satisfaction. Went back to the house, grabbed the dogs and we did a loop around the neighbourhood.

Crushed my workout... had a smoothie, and now I'm reflecting here. For a day that easily could and probably would have been a trainwreck, I feel reinvigorated and ready to attack tomorrow.

KILLER response to the afternoon. Everyone should read what @Simms did here.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Day #18 - Thursday

Rough day. - Didn't get much accomplished at work. - Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing. Mindless surfing.

You get the idea.

Been reading a lot of journals and posts in general. -

A personal goal: I want to promote more inclusiveness and an openness of thought in my actions at GQ. Some of the existential posts I read make me feel unwelcome on the site. I happened to join up on the site around the same time as @SabreCat - here's a person who came right out and asked: "Is this a boy's club?" and bared some very personal parts of his soul. - He got passive aggressive'd by a veteran of this community and hasn't been back since.

I wrote just 2 days ago about how some guys in MY COMMUNITY made me feel like shit by acting like bros at the climbing wall. At the climbing wall I'm strong. In life I'm strong, and if I'd needed to, I'll tell those guys where they can fuck right off to. A big part of my growing up in life is coming terms to the fact that I'd rather grow community than tear it down. I don't need to tell off every jackass around me off. - To be honest, I'd rather engage with them, and maybe we can find some common ground. Maybe I can help them grow, maybe they're a diamond in the rough.

As there aren't all that many replies in the thread, I want to assure @Schwing and @WorkInProgress they aren't the focus of my ire. That being said, I'm not some bleeding liberal that wants to promote inclusiveness for the sake of inclusiveness. - I feel like gaming addiction transcends boundaries like politics. This is something that is literally fucking up my life. I don't want a single person that is actually looking for help, to not feel like they're welcome on the best resource that's available for even a single moment.

If the target of this whole spiel happens to read this... I challenge him to consider how he's contributing to building this community up. This whole place is an opportunity to become something better. It's not a straight line, but what happens when you wander so far from the path you can no longer see it at all?

My journal, my rant.

Gratitude journal

The iron. 200 lbs will always be 200 lbs.

Someone mistook me for a local today at the store... wait... I am a local. - /happy

Workout/run

Climbing - 1.5 hours

Meditation

N/A today

Reading + taking notes

Listened to some Words of Radiance. Couldn't focus today.

What went well today:

Very little.

Almost anything.

Misc thoughts and plans:

WTF happened between yesterday writing and today.

Climb 2x, Stronglifts 3x - So far 2x climb, 1x stronglifts

Track mood daily at least twice on Daylio: So far - 7 day streak

Monthly Goal

Get cost estimate for 11,000er guide. Dates set in stone. Sent my brother a text today to see if he wants to join our group.

3 Month Goal

1 person likes this