What to do if you like your addiction?

Hi.

Some Context:
I've been addicted specifically to Pokemon GO for a while now. I "quit" in November of 2019 and relapsed again this past September (so close to year lol). After about a month and a half of game play I deleted the app after arguing about it with my wife who's rightfully not to fond of me playing.

Question:

Unlike other times I've stopped playing this is the first time I don't really want to. I want to keep playing. Other times it's been "I have a problem I want to stop" this time it's "I have a problem but I don't care, I want to keep playing". I totally get why I'm addicted, I know exactly how the people at Ninantic hooked me into their stupid machine I get it. It used to bother me but I'm kind of indifferent now. I know it's a waste of time but idk. Anyone have thoughts? Feel similarly, or have any idea what to do when having a video game addiction doesn't bother you like it used to?

4 hours ago, freedomplz said:

Hi.

Some Context:
I've been addicted specifically to Pokemon GO for a while now. I "quit" in November of 2019 and relapsed again this past September (so close to year lol). After about a month and a half of game play I deleted the app after arguing about it with my wife who's rightfully not to fond of me playing.

Question:

Unlike other times I've stopped playing this is the first time I don't really want to. I want to keep playing. Other times it's been "I have a problem I want to stop" this time it's "I have a problem but I don't care, I want to keep playing". I totally get why I'm addicted, I know exactly how the people at Ninantic hooked me into their stupid machine I get it. It used to bother me but I'm kind of indifferent now. I know it's a waste of time but idk. Anyone have thoughts? Feel similarly, or have any idea what to do when having a video game addiction doesn't bother you like it used to?

I think we reach a point during recovery where we don't care anymore. You ask yourself what's there even to gain from this fight? You're comfortable and it doesn't matter. You might be stuck in a loop until you realize that you feel better without playing and want to move on.

That's addiction mate, you love it, thats why you keep doing it, despite the damage or impact to everything else.

I gave Pokemon Go there for a while, shortly after my first detox to 'help' me with motivation to get out and run. But I found it constantly took me out of the moment and I wasn't enjoying the run for what it was, so quit soon thereafter.

Hard agree with the other folks here. For me, the issue with addiction wasn't an active hatred of what I was doing so much as it was just a flat inability to care. Of course I knew it was bad. Of course I knew that I could have, should have, ought have been doing something more productive.

Just in the moment, I really didn't feel any of that in any meaningful way. It was a game. It was fine. The consequences weren't immediate, weren't real - And, if they were, by God I'd better play a game so I didn't have to think about them. Addiction's like that. You find yourself doing something without really knowing, in the moment, why.

Edited by Commissar
'Addiction' is not 'addition.'
  • 3 weeks later...