It has been a long hiatus from diaries but I'm back!

Day 1/90 detox
31/12/2020 Thursday
Play games / watch game related videos? No
Workout? Yes (yoga)
Study? Yes
Duolingo? Yes
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (1:45am)

This diary entry is for last Thursday. Slept fairly late since I was up watching live new years celebrations shows.

Managed to study for a bit and sort of self discovered a technique which seems pretty obvious but was a moment of realisation for me as someone who has the traits of a perfectionist - rather than spending an exorbitant amount of time on a question or concept that is particularly difficult, it’s okay to skip it and come back to it later. This ensures that I don’t tunnel vision on one thing, where the time could better be spent studying other concepts and with additional knowledge, may assist with the problematic concept/question. This can be applied to any task really, to try and set a reasonable amount of time for each task and if it’s taking too long, to complete other tasks first and in that time, new perspectives could be gained.

Not doing well for habits in the mental health department, like meditation and reading, however. Workouts have been quite consistent though.

Day 2/90 detox
1/1/2020 Friday
Workout? Yes (bushwalking)
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (6:20am)

This diary entry is for last Friday. I went out with friends to go bushwalking. What a great start to the year! I’ve really been meaning to go do some activities outdoors and this was the perfect opportunity to. I didn’t do any other dailies today however and I slept very, very late as there was some time sensitive finance related tasks I was looking into. They couldn’t really wait till the next morning.

Day 0/90 detox
2/1/2020 Saturday
Play games / watch game related videos? Yes
Workout? No
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (3:45am)

This diary entry is for Saturday. I went to a friend’s place for a party and we played board games for the majority of the time. I’m pretty proud of myself for excusing myself near the end of the night after they decided they wanted to play Jackbox/console games next. However, this was a sort of a trigger for me since I wanted to understand more about how to play Katan (board game), since that was the first time I had played it. I watched a few hours of videos of gameplay online and so I’m once again resetting my days in the detox to 0.

Day 1/90 detox
3/1/2020 Sunday
Workout? Yes (push)
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (8:05am)

Refer to 7/1/2020 entry

Day 2/90 detox
4/1/2020 Monday
Workout? No
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (8:20am)

Refer to 7/1/2020 entry

Day 3/90 detox
5/1/2020 Tuesday
Workout? No
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (5:40am)

Refer to 7/1/2020 entry

Day 4/90 detox
6/1/2020 Wednesday
Workout? No
Study? No
Duolingo? Yes
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (5:07am)

Refer to 7/1/2020 entry

Day 5/90 detox
7/1/2020 Thursday
Workout? No
Study? No
Duolingo? No
Reading/podcast? No
Meditate? No
Sleep before 11:30pm? No (6:52am)

This diary entry is for yesterday. Essentially, I have a finance related task that is fairly time sensitive and is ongoing in my life. It consumes a lot of my time and I lose track of and deprioritise my daily tasks for it. This diary entry along with the following few are pretty similar. I have since developed a plan to prevent the need for me to stay up late.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all. This is my first time writing a diary entry. Not actually too sure what to put in here though I hope it will be more structured in the future when I get a feel of what to do. Today is the begi

Day 3 Dear diary, Today is my second day without playing games but my first 24 hours without watching any game related videos so I'm going to call this day 1 of my 90 day detox! I am replaci

Dear diary, Day 6/90 detox Play games? No Watch game related videos/? No Exercise? No (kinda a rest day since i'm slowly getting back into it) Learned language using Duol

Day 6/90 detox
8/1/2020 Friday
Workout? Yes (running)
Study? No
Duolingo? Yes
Reading/podcast? Yes
Meditate? Yes
Sleep before 11:30pm? No, 11:59pm

This diary entry is for yesterday. Resetting my daily schedule is now on track. Most dailies were completed including sleeping before midnight and ideally pushing that to even earlier later. I went over my study materials but only briefly so I wouldn’t count that as actually studying.

Day 7/90 detox
9/1/2020 Saturday
Workout? Yes (pushups and pullups - ‘break’)
Study? Yes (‘break’)
Duolingo? Yes
Reading/podcast? Yes
Meditate? Yes
Sleep before 11:30pm? No, 2:30am

This diary entry is for yesterday. While I was listening to a Ted podcast, I came across a statement that was a little mind blowing for me: “Our ability to follow through on our best intentions, to get into a new habit, or to change our behaviour in any way, doesn’t depend on the reasons we might do it, or the depth of our convictions that we should do so. It doesn’t depend on our understanding of the benefits of a particular behaviour or even on the strength of our willpower. It depends on our willingness to be bad at our desired behaviour.” The speaker went on to explain how she got back into running after a long hiatus, not by creating a detailed, well defined, extravagant plan, but by simply setting a goal of running for 1 minute every day. Here is the source of the podcast and is very well worth the listen:

https://www.ted.com/talks/christine_carter_the_1_minute_secret_to_forming_a_new_habit

The above got me thinking the significance of ‘something’ over nothing especially with respect to daily habits. Therefore, I have begun to implement the same logic, by doing each task at least 1 minute every day and denoting this as a (‘break’) next to it if that was the case, but by doing this, will help with developing a routine in my subconscious of doing these tasks daily, regardless for how long.

I slept late since I procrastinated through the day and didn’t do my tasks until late at night and essentially did all of them after I heard that podcast!

@codepants - I'm trying the 1 minute strat for my workouts!

On 1/10/2021 at 1:23 AM, Tabula rasa said:

The above got me thinking the significance of ‘something’ over nothing especially with respect to daily habits. Therefore, I have begun to implement the same logic, by doing each task at least 1 minute every day and denoting this as a (‘break’) next to it if that was the case, but by doing this, will help with developing a routine in my subconscious of doing these tasks daily, regardless for how long.

Curious to see how this turns out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

Day 8/90 detox

10/1/2020 Sunday

Workout? Yes (pull)

Study? Yes

Duolingo? Yes

Reading/podcast? Yes

Meditate? Yes

Sleep before 11:30pm? No, 2:50am

This diary entry is for Sunday. Managed to do all dailies except for sleep. Might even add a streak if I do all dailies where sleep isn’t counted – 2.

Day 9/90 detox

11/1/2020 Monday

Dailies streak (excl sleep) - 3

Workout? Yes (yoga)

Study? Yes

Duolingo? Yes

Reading/podcast? Yes

Meditate? Yes (break)

Sleep before 11:30pm? No, 1:30am

This diary entry is for yesterday. Today was a work day. Started too late on my dailies. Bumping my alarm which reminds me to start prepping for sleep to 9pm now.

Day 10/90 detox

12/1/2020 Tuesday

Dailies streak (excl sleep) - 4

Workout? Yes (pushups and pullups - ‘break’)

Study? Yes

Duolingo? Yes

Reading/podcast? Yes

Meditate? Yes

Sleep before 11:30pm? No, 12:35am

This diary entry is for yesterday. Today was a work day. Started earlier on my dailies and winded by sleep time back 1 hr. Rest of dailies were done. Getting there!

Edited by Tabula rasa