"Be open to all outcomes, but attached to none."

My Journal - SpiNips

929 posts in this topic

Posted

Awesome day! Keep it up. :)

Posted

Once again a short post since it is getting late.

Today was once again an eventful day. After school we went out to a little lake 6 miles off the city. Had nice time hanging around with friends. Currently I'm neglecting my school work a tiny bit, but I just think spending these sunny days of summer inside doing schoolwork is just not worth it. In Finland the really hit days like these are few ad far between.

I'm getting started on my How to win friends and influence people-journey. After the firsr chapter I decided that I wouldn't complain in the current week at all. It has been working quite well. This "experiment" really helps you notice how much you actually complain.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far. For your schoolwork consider doing some in the morning before the weather gets warmer, that way it's done and you can go enjoy the nice weather without guilt! :)

Posted

Hello once again! Currently on my 60th day. Oh how the time just flies by.

Today was a little tiresome day. Although it, too had its moments. I visited friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. Feel like a lot has changed since then.

A friend of mine who had been ill for nearly half a year was finally able to come and meet us. I felt relieved when I saw him in a good condition.

It might be that I took too quick start after my fly. Got sick again. Goddamnit.

The day counter has lost a part of its meaning. And thats good in my opinion since I'm not just staring at the counter waiting for the day when the world suddendly turns into wonderland.

I'll write my thoughts on NoFap in some of the following days. Imo its a topic that requires to be discussed a bit. I know it shares the opinions of the people. And in my opinion for a good reason.

Anyways Good night/day! I'm going to get some sleep!

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats on day 60! Time flies when you're having fun. :D

Posted

Hello everybody!

Today was once again cool day now that I think of it. 5 months ago when I was feeling a bit depressed, I would have done anything for a day like this. So today after school we went out to a restaurant with a couple friends of mine. Had an awesome time once again. After all I have to really grateful for what I've got.

Yeah, being grateful for what you've got. Living in a nordic welfare state. The thing of which value I have no idea about before you lose them. Last summer I was wandering in Lapland for a week. Sleeping with 2 guys in a tent meant for 2, that wasn't waterproof and it rained a lot. Not really much food and the food we had was mostly dried pasta with tomato sauce, just add water. Carrying that 23kg bag for 110km. When I got home from that trip I was so thankful. Sleeping in your own non-wet bed, eating fresh food, having warm shower, oh boy was I grateful! Somehow a person can be unhappy despite all these amazing luxuries. Not saying I'm unhappy currently. Well I don't know why I wrote this actually. Just popped up in my mind. I guess it has something to do with the past spring. Oh well.

Back to the current day. So I got home and really just lagged till the evening. Got my studying for the day done, but pretty much nothing else. Should probably read the Slight Edge. Sounds like I book that could help me manage my time. I'm also waiting for the moment I can properly focus on JiuJitsu again.

A lot of droplets in my little pond of inner peace once again. Sleep will do wonders. G'night.

Posted

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the "How to win friends and influence people" book. I've been interested in getting into that one, but there's so many books I want to read!

Also, I really enjoyed reading your last few entries!

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know whether you have seen any descriptions or some youtube videos like "7 advices from How to win friends and influence people". In my opinion there is more to the book than just those things. For example when I watched a summarizing video of the book on youtube I just quickly checked the 7 advices and moved on without really getting anything out of it.

The book was completely different. Even after finishing the first chapter I had found more information and reason in that one advice than I had found in that video. The book really is awesome. For me the key was just the awesome examples that were in the book. It's that much easier to find the real reasons in those guidelines.

I really recommend this book! Well written and full of wisdom. I like it because it's not just "top 7 tips to make you satisfied with your social life". It's full of good advice, that I think most of the people can get behind.

2 people like this

Posted

I don't know whether you have seen any descriptions or some youtube videos like "7 advices from How to win friends and influence people". In my opinion there is more to the book than just those things. For example when I watched a summarizing video of the book on youtube I just quickly checked the 7 advices and moved on without really getting anything out of it.

The book was completely different. Even after finishing the first chapter I had found more information and reason in that one advice than I had found in that video. The book really is awesome. For me the key was just the awesome examples that were in the book. It's that much easier to find the real reasons in those guidelines.

I really recommend this book! Well written and full of wisdom. I like it because it's not just "top 7 tips to make you satisfied with your social life". It's full of good advice, that I think most of the people can get behind.

?Thanks for the review! I'm going to make a priority of reading it soon!

Posted

Good evening!

It has certainly been an eventful weekend. Celebrated my friends 18th birthday and had a really nice evening. We sat by a fire and grilled some sausage. Today I have been mostly resting after these quite wild days. Managed to do good progress on my schoolwork. I'm considering reading Jeff Olson's the Slight Edge. Seems to pop up quite a bit in the books you should read section.

Goddamn flu. Still haven't got rid of it. Today I decided to show it what I'm made of and googled how to get rid of flu. Ended up eating garlic and drinking vinegar. I guess stomachache only lasts a couple of hours, so I'll win in the end.

Doing progress on winning friends and influencing people. Currently on the second section of the book. There is so much good information. I really should work on putting that information into action. Well I'm going to read parts of the book after I've finished it since it might be best to have a general view of the book too.

Altogether doing well, hope you are doing too.

1 person likes this

Posted

Today is a rather basic day. Have not been up to much. Mostly resting, reading the Power of Habit and listening to music. Focusing on resting and getting better.

Currently feeling little unsatisfied with my habits and hobbies in home. Usually I have all kind of activities like sports and friends to enjoy my time with, but now I really don't have the energy to do that.

I'm having a little trouble putting the teachings of the Power of Habit into use. It requires a lot of cleverness to spot the right circles of habits and find out the ways to reconstruct them.

1 person likes this

Posted

As you read further into the book, it gives lots of examples and explains in more detail how to do it. I can share some examples later about habits I formed and the exact process I used to do it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh, I'd love that! :)

Posted

Good evening!

Today was partially good day. We had a picnic with my friends and it ended up being very pleasant.

After reading the Power of Habit yesterday I decided that it's a good time to work on my willpower and general habits. I'm starting by doing the same basic chores every day and working on my studying and homework. I should do some sort of habit of making them.

The current mood is a bit off. It's just the flu and a lot of schoolwork in one pile. Since I'm not able to do any sports I'm pretty much using my spare time home. Of course there is a lot of things I can do home too. I organized my wardrobe and cleaned around today. Really, I'm just a bit unsatisfied with my life at the moment. I feel like I'm a bit out of direction currently. Or rather that there are so many directions where I could go.

Listening to music cheered me up though. Probably the wisest thing is just to do activities I enjoy that aren't too hard physically. Letting myself rest allowing the fact that I can't just change the fact that I'm sick.

Well that's how it is going currently. It will get better.

Posted

Oh, I'd love that! :)

?I used to do habits though willpower, but it always failed me after a while. Sometimes I could being doing my good habits for 6 months or so, and something in my life would change (as life always does) and the habit disappeared. What I do know is create cravings for my good habits. You'll read in the book how cravings make habits virtually unstoppable, and you can use this to your advantage.

When I'm meditating I always take a few moments throughout the meditation to notice how awesome it feels. During these moments, I just revel in how nice it feels to be still and mindful. After doing this for a while, I start to crave meditation because I know how awesome it's going to feel. When I crave something, I'll go out of my way to make it happen. It was the same thing with video games. I would think about a really fun game, and I would just crave to play it until I finally did. My meditation habit is now really hard for me to stop because of my cravings. I would have to use willpower to NOT meditate at this point because I crave it.

I've done a similar process for all of my other good habits too. What's awesome about this is that I can use that willpower that I didn't use to meditate on something else. After all, willpower is not a finite commodity for any of us.

1 person likes this