NEW PODCAST: Instant Gratification is the cause of so many problems in your life...

RB1

How do you Meditate?

Looking for advice from experience meditators. I've given meditation a shot in the past, but don't really understand how it works besides relaxing, sitting still, and trying to clear my mind as best as possible. I've tried it with the intent to relax, feel more at peace, happier, focused, and to get rid of that hazy feeling of an overworked mind that we all get as gamers. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it doesn't really do anything, and sometimes I honestly feel more agitated afterwards since I can't clear my mind during meditation.

I've heard there are many different forms of it, but I don't really know what those other forms are and which sources to trust on the internet. I'm hoping for someone with experience to explain it better to a beginner like me and point to sources that may have worked for you.

I really want to begin to make meditation a part of my morning routine. I also want it to be the activity I default to when experiencing cravings. Does the second part sound reasonable at all? I know many people meditate in the morning as routine and I only heard good things about it.

• Like 1

Check out the Calm app.

Meditation is one of those things that you need to do for a long period of time to see real benefits. It's also important to understand that not every session is going to go "well". The point isn't how well it goes, but rather that you sit down and do it.

• Like 1

Running.

I know that might sound weird, but I have really found running to be a fantastic form of meditation for me. When I sit down and meditate I tend to fall asleep or can't get it to stick into my routine. But when I am running, it's just me and the road. There is something calming about focusing on your breathing, and the rhythm of left foot right foot left foot right foot, that suddenly I find myself in what I call my "happy place". It is sort of like a flow state but where I get crazy clarity on thinking about things. Sometimes I just enjoy the moment of pushing my body's endurance, sometimes I reflect on decisions or interactions I have made, and sometimes I create plans of what I want to do in the future. By having your whole body focused on a single task, with nobody around you, there is no way to get distracted. I can't shy away from whatever issue or feeling I am having - all I can do is embrace it.

My mind always feel so sharp afterwards.

• Like 1

There is no real "Users manual" for meditation.

Meditation is a form of help to find back to yourselve or to find yourselve at first.

Personally what helped me the most, is to stop thinking there is only one form of "real meditation".

You find out if meditation works, if you get calm and your thoughts and feelings change to be better.