NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

FireRanger Journal

FireRanger

Day 1

Gathered up the courage to delete content on my xbox and pack it up for 90 days today. At this point i’m not sure if I will unpack when the 90 days is up, too early to tell...I want to think I have the will power to stay off it the whole 90 days...time will tell. It’s a hard cycle to break because my brain is so tuned to think of gaming to fill up my free time. My day is pretty much planned and filled for today the challenge will be this evening when I typically game for an hour, I will try to find something else to do.

Ty

• Like 1

Day 2,

Things are going pretty good, i have for sure craved some gaming this weekend but was able to curb those thoughts with keeping myself busy. I think some of the fog is lifting. It’s crazy how much you think about gaming especially when you aren’t gaming. I remember some nights of after a heavy PUBG session just replaying different moments in my head and thinking about the next round i’m going to play...probably as soon as I was going to wake up in the morning before I went to work. Today I dug out a book I have been reading for  over 2 years and plan on trying to finish it in the next 2 weeks. I also deleted a couple of mobile games I had on my iphone, which to be honest I hardly ever played anyways but I don’t want temptations to be handy. I’m sure my withdrawals are going to be more intense as time passes. Bonus is my wife thinks it’s a great excercise that i’m going through, she was surprised I actually packed up the xbox and put it in our basement storage. My next step is going to be getting back into a gym routine especially since I have a sweet set up that has been collecting dust in the basement for too long, i’m planning on starting to go play hockey again once a week too. Here is to hoping anyways!

Ty

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  

You know that feeling when you are in a group of people and they are all talking about their lives, like "I went to a great restaurant last night", or "I met this girl"  And you try to contribute to the conversation an all you have is "I beat this troll-boss-monster and I got the magical breastplate...  It took me 9 hours to gear up for that."  And everyone looks at you like you're some kind of alien.

Think of quitting gaming as a way of building a great life, with stories to tell your friends, dates, children and grandchildren.  

Glad you're here.

• Like 3

I actually would never talk to my friends and coworkers about gaming or the extent of my gaming much as I was ashamed/embarrassed. I have one buddy from back in my hometown that I would play online with and it was great to talk to him about games as know one else really cared lol. But thanks i’m glad i’m here too.

• Like 1

@FireRanger

You're doing well for a fresh start.  : )

I hope you'll find journal writing to be a benefit to you in the long-run.  Personally, it's been a great help for me.  I can look back and read what stage I was in when I started the 90 day detox, and compare it with how I'm doing now.  Take care, and I'm glad you are here.

• Like 1

Day 3...late post

So not much to post for day 3. I have been thinking oh my xbox though especially as I have to head out of town on tuesday morning for a couple of days and of course I would always take my xbox because I would have free evenings to game my heart out for hours on end at the hotel. it’s such a temptation but I keep telling myself I don’t need it.  Sunday was pretty low key at the house. My wife really enjoys puzzles so I helped her finish one in the afternoon. We had another good talk about why I’m starting this process and all she could say was “Well it’s about time”. I guess it truly is.

Day 4,

Today I woke up with energy I haven’t felt in a while. Gaming and thinking about gaming is so tiring in the mind. I really realized that today. I had one of the more productive days at work today that I haven’t had in months and pretty much because I was too consumed in gaming to really focus productively. Even my wife and I are communicating more and postively. Before this I would probably be thinking “okay let’s wrap this up so I can go slay on the xbox” 

Edited by FireRanger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FireRanger said:

Even my wife and I are communicating more and postively. Before this I would probably be thinking “okay let’s wrap this up so I can go slay on the xbox” 

Yea, this is one of the more subtle understated benefits of quitting gaming I've experienced as well. Your daily interactions with people become more enjoyable and valuable as you are more present in the moment, not constantly yearning for a future session of gaming.

Edited by Arch

Day 5 and 6

Not a whole lot to mention, i didn’t bring my xbox with me on my business trip but it was tempting. What was great though was last night an old acquaintance with work was staying at the same hotel and he mentioned we should hit the lounge for a couple of beers. So I did and it was a great interaction. The funny part was when I first got the text to see if I wanted to hit the lounge was that if I had my xbox in the hotel room I would have 1. Probably ignore the text and invite or 2. Just tell him I was busy or not feeling well...just so I could play games longer. I did that so many times in the past. It’s almost pathetic...I’m back home now and looking forward to seeing my family.

Ty

Edited by FireRanger

On 4/10/2018 at 5:09 PM, FireRanger said:

Day 4,

Even my wife and I are communicating more and postively. Before this I would probably be thinking “okay let’s wrap this up so I can go slay on the xbox” 

Congrats on getting this detox going!

I can totally relate to this. I noticed that I'd always get cranky if my wife would come into my office when I was gaming. I wouldn't want her to see it, so I'd switch my screen to something else like my email. But I'd be waiting for her to leave the entire time and it'd annoy the crap out of me. And obviously she could feel it. So one of the things that has happened since I quite gaming was that I no longer have this attitude to her. In fact, I do the opposite: now when I need to take a break from or whatever else it is that I'm doing, I go to her and chat or give her a hug or or a kiss or something. And I feel like it's already making a difference in our relationship.

I'd definitely recommend spending time with her when you have cravings, especially since she knows you've decided to do it. At the end of the day, it's the most important relationship your life.

• 3 weeks later...