NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello

With the recent birth of my daughter I decided it was time to kick the habit. I don't want it to get in the way of being a dad.  I have been gaming since the atari 2600 (30+ years).  I have kicked gaming once 10 years ago for about 3 years but fell back into it.  I am starting my 90 day detox and it's terrifying. 

Thanks! Joe does sound like he was in a similar boat.  I am worried about my ability to confront and defuse stess in my life.  Video games have always been my destressor.  When I quit before, I found that I drank more.  That was back in college days, my life is different now, but I don't want to slide into the same situation.   It was mentioned in one of the videos that gaming dulls your response to normal stimuli. This resonated with me greatly. Things that I used to enjoy just don't help any more. 

Thanks! Joe does sound like he was in a similar boat.  I am worried about my ability to confront and defuse stess in my life.  Video games have always been my destressor.  When I quit before, I found that I drank more.  That was back in college days, my life is different now, but I don't want to slide into the same situation.   It was mentioned in one of the videos that gaming dulls your response to normal stimuli. This resonated with me greatly. Things that I used to enjoy just don't help any more. 

The key here is to be intentional. So what are some ways you can destress without using video games or drinking? Let's brainstorm a few. Exercise, yoga, meditation and going for walks are a few that are good. This video can help help you with this.

Welcome!  I used games to de-stress and generally hide from life in.  I put together a list of things to try when agitated.  Some of those things are walk, read, Cam's vids, hot baths and generally staying busy.  I like puzzles for mindless activity.  I found doing errands and shopping etc gets me out of the house and out of the moment.  I come back doing better.  Surprisingly organizing stuff works too.  Tools in 6 drawers -  put them all in the right place.  In my life, accepting the emotion and what it is telling me has worked well too.  Why am I agitated here? Is there something I can do about it.  Am I looking at things in a negative way?  What is my alternative?  It gets easier and less intense over time.

Welcome!  I used games to de-stress and generally hide from life in.  I put together a list of things to try when agitated.  Some of those things are walk, read, Cam's vids, hot baths and generally staying busy.  I like puzzles for mindless activity.  I found doing errands and shopping etc gets me out of the house and out of the moment.  I come back doing better.  Surprisingly organizing stuff works too.  Tools in 6 drawers -  put them all in the right place.  In my life, accepting the emotion and what it is telling me has worked well too.  Why am I agitated here? Is there something I can do about it.  Am I looking at things in a negative way?  What is my alternative?  It gets easier and less intense over time.

Great post!

Congratulations on being a dad, having children is one of the greatest gifts God has given us. When you are trying to change a habit for yourself it is challenging, but when you know you HAVE to change the habit because someone else is depending on you it can be scary. Try to remember that what you are going thru right now, as hard as it seems, someone has been thru it before and succeeded, and they are no better than you. You can do this man! Take it one day at a time, that is all you can do. 

Thanks everyone for the replies! They have been very helpful.  I have been organizing like a madman! I am trying to start drawing more and some archery in there too.  My subconscious has been hammering me like crazy to keep playing.  Has anyone else had dreams about gaming?  I am talking extremely nostalgic dreams with orchestral music?  

Has anyone else had dreams about gaming?  

I kinda dream about it, but it's too abstract to explain... its just like... screens of inventory getting filled up and allocating my level up points (shows i must REALLY be into the instant gratification of feeling like i'm accomplishing stuff).

I mostly just get invasive daydreams when i'm trying to work, like every half hour.  I just feel that urge to be at my PC with snacks, adventuring and building bases and stuff.  Ugh... must... focus

Edited by byrdmath

Has anyone else had dreams about gaming?  

I kinda dream about it, but it's too abstract to explain... its just like... screens of inventory getting filled up and allocating my level up points (shows i must REALLY be into the instant gratification of feeling like i'm accomplishing stuff).

I mostly just get invasive daydreams when i'm trying to work, like every half hour.  I just feel that urge to be at my PC with snacks, adventuring and building bases and stuff.  Ugh... must... focus

Dreams and nightmares about gaming are normal. Albeit weird. :D This video talks about it.