Searching for reading help!

Robin

Hey guys,

I recently picked up 4 books:

The power of habits

How to win friends and influence people

The slight edge

The art of war

I'm currently reading the 1st one and I'm on page 170. 

Reading is sort of my main activity for when I need to rest. When I'm not reading I'm mostly watching youtube video's etc.

My question is if it would be okay to read alot more instead of watching youtube video's while resting. So maybe a few hours or would it be better to read a bit and than do something else as resting activity. 

I'm a new reader and I seem to enjoy it ;)

Thanks for all the support.

- Robin 

Ya read as much as you want. Just be aware too if you're feeling burned out on it. The key is to keep it sustainable over time, so it's better to read every day for 60 minutes than one day for 8 hours and then not for a few days. Great list of books btw!

The power of habit is an excellent book!! I'm not much of a reader myself. I can read for about 20 minutes and then I'm sleeping. That doesn't mean I dont enjoy books though! I started using audible.com again not too long ago. Maybe try listening to a book if your feeling like you spend too much time reading. Igo for a walk every morning for an hour and listen to audio books. It works for me, you may like it as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will try to read an hour a day. And when I feel like my body needs more rest il read a bit more that day :)

I wil also defenitly try audible.com!

Stay focussed <3

- Robin

There is no time limit to reading, unlike gaming, you can read 10 hours a day (with breaks for eating, toilet) etc. and it is OK. Of course it is humanely possible to read for so long, particularly if the narrative is interesting and you literally cannot put the book down. Reading is a healthy "addiction," so you do not have to set any time boundaries as to how long you may read. Unless you are still in school and have to read particular books for your classes, remember that reading should be a pleasure, if you do not like a given book, switch to another, life is too short to waste on books you don't enjoy, particularly as a great read may be just around the corner :)

I believe you should not restrict your reading list to self-help books, this is not a healthy reading diet ;) For me, reading only these kinds of books would be terribly boring, as many of these self-help books are quite similar in their contents and tone, it makes for a very repetitive and tedious reading. If you stick only to these, you may quickly become bored and return to games :( You should definitely include interesting fiction books such as novels in your reading, particularly if you want to write fiction yourself. If you want to write, reading other authors (literature, not self-help books) is a must. I love fantasy, but you should choose the literary genre you really enjoy.

• 11 months later...

I find that self help, or non fiction books can be draining. Cramming your mind. But fiction books are almost always relaxing. How about switching things up. Ironically I have the entire Witcher book series to be consumed, instead of playing one of the games :)! 

I find that self help, or non fiction books can be draining. Cramming your mind. But fiction books are almost always relaxing. How about switching things up. Ironically I have the entire Witcher book series to be consumed, instead of playing one of the games :)! 

Yeah, self-help/improvement books can be very draining if you read too many of them one after another. At the end of last month, I started to read my fourth self-improvement book in a short time, and I just couldn't get through it, even though I think that it is a great book (The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris). I decided to leave it for a while and now I'm reading another book, and am probably going to finish The 4-Hour Workweek later on.

But I can recommend The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris. Fuck It! by John Parkin is also a great book. Talk like TED by Carmine Gallo also is a great self-development book which I can really recommend. As of fiction, I need to know which genres you like. If you don't know that because you are a new reader, then tell me what kind of movies you like. Most of the times your favorite book genres will be kind of the same.

Edited by KevinV1990