NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello!

King

Hello! My name is Christian and I am a junior in highschool. For the past couple years, I began realizing that video games have given me no sense of accomplishment, and quitting this addiction has been an on/off journey for me. Only last night I was hit hard about my addiction.

At 3:00 AM, after a CSGO competitive loss while playing with my friend, I became salty, and blatantly stated to my friend that gaming is a waste of time and both of us should probably be doing something like reading. Given my friend's limited knowledge of psychology, as well as his life history of gaming, he instantly argued back, claiming he valued the form of "entertainment" that gaming gave him. As stated previously, this was at 3:00 AM, so both of us were tired and angry after the loss. I soon realized this, and decided to stop arguing and eventually ended the call. Immediately after, I thought to myself that I needed to end this addiction ASAP, so I looked up how to quit video games, and found this site, and I sure am glad I did.

I personally want myself to end this addiction that has prevailed my whole life, and if possible, hopefully help my friend. As bad as it sounds, I am willing to cut my relationship with my friend if he cannot see the same vision as me despite my advise. He has been a close friend my entire high school career, but I feel like I owe myself more than more hours of useless gaming that has no benefits in my adult life. My gaming career spans all the way back to when I was 8 years old and playing Runescape during it's prime. Since then, I find myself using any free time to play video games, instead of reading the book that has been less than 5 feet away from me at all times in my bedroom. I know inside that I want to read the book, but all my brain wants is the satisfaction of gaming. I want to stop this addiction once and for all, so I've come to these forums to get advice on which direction I should start going in order to change my life. I'm happy to hear any advice you guys can offer, and am willing to put posted advice into effect. Finally, I'd like to thank Cam and the forum posters for helping people like myself grow out of this worldwide addiction to begin moving towards a better life.

• Guest featured this topic

Hi

I am also new to the site, I have posted my story along with many others here which I have found to be really helpful in my recovery. I can suggest you look up Cam's Youtube channel because he has lots of useful information that will get you started.

The journey might be long and hard, but we are here to support you along the way.

I am posting weekly updates on my progress and we would love to hear yours too :)

Theo

Hey, good to have you here. Maybe Cam's video about gamerfriend's can help you with your situation(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoQJ1RfPQko). I think quit gaming is something you have to want for your self or you won't suceed. But if you really want it and follow through with the advice wich is available on this side, im sure you can make it. Good luck always nice to see other people do this step too.

Hello Christian,

You've already made the first step to a better life! I saw Cam's video's a few days ago and they've already helped me a lot. The fact that a lot of us here can relate to each other's story means that we can help each other with moving on from games so we can succeed in life. It's not going to be easy, but the fact that you've found GameQuitters means you're already half way there. 

I wish you the best of luck on your path to changing your life.

- Mark

Hey Christian! Welcome to the forums. You're in the right place. :)

Focus on you and if your friend has been a good friend, you can remain friends but find new ways to hang out (like maybe going to the gym together) instead of having it revolve around gaming. The best thing you can do is be a positive example of the change you want him to be inspired by. The forum is full of encouragement and support for you. We've got your back. This is the beginning of a new chapter in your life, it's exciting.

What's the book you want to read?

Hey Christian! Welcome to the forums. You're in the right place. :)

Focus on you and if your friend has been a good friend, you can remain friends but find new ways to hang out (like maybe going to the gym together) instead of having it revolve around gaming. The best thing you can do is be a positive example of the change you want him to be inspired by. The forum is full of encouragement and support for you. We've got your back. This is the beginning of a new chapter in your life, it's exciting.

What's the book you want to read?

I'm reading Debt-Free U by Zac Bissonnette. The book goes over how to get through college without or with a minimal amount of student debt. I was referred to the book by a successful Youtuber & Business Owner Thomas Frankly, who has this book as his #1 book recommendation over the book HE created. I know that this book only has great benefits, and I have read at least a seventh of the book, but I find myself more often dreaming of reading it when it's not on my person, than actually reading it despite only being three feet away from me. I have set a goal to finish it by the end of the month, but I haven't even touched it since I set that goal over a week ago.

Edited by King

Well i wouldadvice you jsut to start with a goal like reading atleast one site per day.If you want you can read more, if you dont want you read at least read one site. Such goals can be helpful to find some motivation for things to do. If your alrdy rolling keep going, is far easier then to start. It's like to move a car versus friction, to keep moving always take less force then accelerating(sry for engineer thinking :P) .

What Mario says, is indeed true. The hardest part is to start moving. Once you get moving, it will be way easier to take it further.

It's the same with schoolwork or w/e. If you're having trouble working on that. Just tell yourself to do it for just 5 minutes. Only 5 minutes and then you can go do something else. The first few times you might go do something else after those 5 minutes, but after that it's very likely that you're going to work for longer than 5 mins. It's because, Mario says, to keep moving is always easier than accelerating. So start small and read one page a day or whatever works for you.

Good luck and my best wishes to you!

Edited by Mark1520

Good afternoon and welcome! :D I'm sure you'll make a fine addition to the community!

Funnily enough, I have had a similar to yourself before I thought "this is getting ridiculous", CSGO was one of my games I loved, heh.

Once again, welcome, welcome! :)

Well i wouldadvice you jsut to start with a goal like reading atleast one site per day.If you want you can read more, if you dont want you read at least read one site. Such goals can be helpful to find some motivation for things to do. If your alrdy rolling keep going, is far easier then to start. It's like to move a car versus friction, to keep moving always take less force then accelerating(sry for engineer thinking :P) .

What Mario says, is indeed true. The hardest part is to start moving. Once you get moving, it will be way easier to take it further.

It's the same with schoolwork or w/e. If you're having trouble working on that. Just tell yourself to do it for just 5 minutes. Only 5 minutes and then you can go do something else. The first few times you might go do something else after those 5 minutes, but after that it's very likely that you're going to work for longer than 5 mins. It's because, Mario says, to keep moving is always easier than accelerating. So start small and read one page a day or whatever works for you.

Good luck and my best wishes to you!

Thank you both for the advice! I'd heard it before but just ignored it. I don't know why but the car analogy seems to make the idea so much more logical to me. I'll be sure to apply it in the upcoming days!

Good afternoon and welcome! :D I'm sure you'll make a fine addition to the community!

Funnily enough, I have had a similar to yourself before I thought "this is getting ridiculous", CSGO was one of my games I loved, heh.

Once again, welcome, welcome! :)

Thanks for the welcome! And yeah, a few weeks ago I completely uninstalled it because of how unsatisfied I felt after finishing a match. Unfortunately, most activities that I enjoy A LOT I make it a personal goal to become better at the activity. I'd watch CSGO streams and see them one tapping people left and right, which made me think, "I can do that!" So I reinstalled it and quickly remembered why I uninstalled in the first place. Today I look back on the tens (Possibly around a hundred) of hours I spent offline custom map training and think, "Jeez what have I wasted my life on?" So now I'm working on dropping this horrible habit, as well as participating in NoFap, which is just as hard if not more than quitting video games, so I have a long hard road ahead of me :D

• Guest unfeatured this topic