My daily progress

Max

Day 1.

Last week went horribly wrong, I’ve been gaming nonstop for days. Today I quit again. Just now I’ve received an email with my exam dates: I have math on June 27th and physics on June 30th. Given this much time I have to study like crazy. So I want to try something new and share my study progress in this new journal. Every day I’ll make a post with my goals for the day and reflect what I was able to accomplish. By this I’ll be able to keep track of things and keep myself accountable. 

That’s it for now, I have to sleep well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 2. 

I've finished one math block which is nice. I wanted to do a bit more, but I think it's okay for the start. I should manage my time better because I'm wasting a lot on procrastination, so starting from tomorrow I'll set my goals as study sessions with fixed time period. I'll be using pomodoro technique, I already know that it works for me. Also I want to read more in free time, haven't done it in a while and I feel braindead. 

Edited by Max

Day 3.

I wanted to study a bit in the morning but I overslept. After that I wasn’t home all day. Today was just a nice relaxing day outside. I’ll study tomorrow.

Day 4. 

I overslept and woke up at 1 PM. Done some math during the day, but still kinda lazy fuck. I want to setup a healthy routine. I think going for a small walk after waking up might help, I'll do that tomorrow.

Day 5.

I had a walk in the morning right after I woke up and that felt very nice and refreshing. I've planned to do 6 study sessions 1 hour each today, but I've done only 3. Is it enough? No. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Day 6.

I've played some Minecraft, but I don't consider this as relapse, because I can totally control all my gaming besides Overwatch. I have no plans or desire to play Minecraft today. But I studied for about 2 hours which is disappointing. I want to find balanced approach to studying. 

So I've relapsed 3 days ago, fuck. Yesterday I found my old textbook where I was writing about my Overwatch addiction in 2018. And that shit scares me, it's been 4 years since and nothing really changed. I'm still the same, pathetic. I have no clue what I'm really doing in my life. My social life is non existent and I think that shows.

Hey, Max!

Keep it up. I think what you’ve already written down shows the progress you’ve been making so far. This path is not a straight road to success but rather a series of victories AND failures. I suppose the best we can do is learn to accept both as equally important and in some way desired.

What I can recommend is learning how your motivation works, because as I recently learnt there’s no such thing as a lazy person, but rather wrong conditions for motivation to thrive. I think there are different ways one can learn about what works for him best, personally for me what has been a great deal of help recently is MBTI system, I recommend you look it up!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:19 AM, Georg said:

This path is not a straight road to success but rather a series of victories AND failures. I suppose the best we can do is learn to accept both as equally important and in some way desired.

Yeah, I absolutely agree on this one.

What I can recommend is learning how your motivation works, because as I recently learnt there’s no such thing as a lazy person, but rather wrong conditions for motivation to thrive.

After I’ve read Atomic Habits by James Clear I started questioning importance of motivation. I tend to believe that motivation is volatile and in order to achieve something a have to focus on my system (routines) rather than goals. Environment is also a very important factor: right after my last relapse I’ve moved to countryside for a while, away from my gaming PC. So I didn’t play since then just because 1) I can’t, so it’s not tempting 2) I don’t have PC around so it’s not triggering me into an action, I have no cues to bad habits here.

I think there are different ways one can learn about what works for him best, personally for me what has been a great deal of help recently is MBTI system, I recommend you look it up!

Thank you for your suggestion, it was an interesting read. It turned out I’m ISTP-T. Good to know, I’ve learned quite a bit about my likely behavior.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for reminding that I most definitely have to read "Atomic Habits". 

I'm really glad you've found that link useful!

And I believe you have all the things necessary to get your routines and environment right. The path is set, keep going!

• Like 1

Day 11 of no games.

Yesterday I've quit YouTube and everything related to entertainment online. I woke up at 7 AM and studied for 7 hours during the day. I've never felt so productive before.

• Like 2

Day 12. 

I've studied for 6 hours 45 minutes today, which is not enough. I also watched youtube for a few hours. This is disappointing. Well, to stay positive almost 7 hours is still better than nothing.

I have exams in 40 days and I procrastinated for 2 years straight, so now I have to study like there is no tomorrow. 

I wake up at 6-7 AM which is too late. I have to shift it to 4-5 AM in a week or so. My study goal from now on is going to be 12 hours a day, I think it'll take a week to get there. Such schedule will leave me 4 hours of free time (considering 8 hours of sleep). Most of it I'll use for breaks between pomodoro sessions.

All of this means that I won't have any time for anything else. Which is kinda okay since I don't have anything to do anyway, not having any friends or job turned out to be convenient. 

• Like 1

Day 14.

7 hours of studying today. I intended to do 8, but I was so tired last hour that I started to lose focus, thus studying more would be just unproductive. So  I'll go to sleep earlier so I can wake up at 5 AM tomorrow and do more study sessions in the morning. Nothing more to report since studying is the only thing I do other than sleeping, eating and doing some minor physical exercises. 

Day 15.

Wake up time: 5 AM

Studying: 7 hours 25 minutes

I never thought I would consider going to sleep as a reward.

• Like 1