NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My daily progress

Max

5 hours ago, Yan said:

Better do it daily, but short. That is also what Cam suggests. Trust him... Oh, and how to say it softly... Too busy to write here daily sounds a little big bit like an excuse which you know isn't true. You can always find the time, especially because even one line is enough and that takes 5 minutes at most 🙂

Yeah, I guess you're right.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 1:51 PM, Max said:

where I couldn’t push through and gain proper self control to quit by myself.

Ehhh, it's far more complicated than that! I think that willpower in general is very, very hard to acquire. Atomic Habits makes a good point in that people who appear to be very strong willed have simply worked towards making difficult things easier through a variety of methods. 

I have given up on yearning for "willpower" to do difficult things, and instead prioritize breaking everything down to the smallest bits. I was able to quit gaming by months and months of very tiny, incremental mindset alterations. Tbh, I have simply replaced gaming with other hobbies like reading or building legos. Working towards making them feel as rewarding and exciting took me a long time (and I still struggle with that), but to me that's the only thing that has been truly helpful. 

If you are planning on doing a detox, I would recommend trying this approach too? You mention, no other activity feels as good; perhaps, you haven't been doing them for long enough?

Po ❤️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pochatok said:

Atomic Habits makes a good point in that people who appear to be very strong willed have simply worked towards making difficult things easier through a variety of methods

Yeah and I absolutely agreed with it, perhaps I've chosen a bad wording. What I meant is that I wanted to come to this state by my own efforts, but since Overwatch 1 is unplayable, I've been forced to do something else. Atomic Habits states something like 'make undesired behavior difficult', and I've been trying to do that with uninstalling Windows, selling my GPU, giving away my gaming monitor. But in the end all of these measures failed, I still relapsed, and now my undesired behavior became 'difficult' by 3rd party decision. Like someone in the US has pulled the switch to remove the game, and that has made me 'quit'. The outcome is great of course, but it feels like cheating.

8 hours ago, Pochatok said:

You mention, no other activity feels as good; perhaps, you haven't been doing them for long enough?

Can't deny it, but you know, it's hard to beat 7 years of binge gaming. But I'm trying to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...