New Video: Unleash Your Potential with These Productivity Secrets

Journal - Gresa

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm 19 and have been "serious gaming" since 13.

Last year I had to study and stopped gaming (almost stopped internet completely actually) for 10 months with great results in many chapters of my life.But then summer came, and having all this spare time suddenly I decided to go back to gaming "temporarily" to relax.As you can propably guess I have been hardcore gaming since.I'm now looking forward trying to quit again.

I believe i found this website 2 months ago, and finally I decided to talk a little instead of just reading.

So i'll try to keep this updated as much as I can,perhaps post some goals here(I saw a few doing that) and we'll see how this goes.

Have a nice day.

8 people like this

Posted

Hey Gresa! Thanks for joining us here. Are there any videos I could make that would help you this summer? I have been thinking about new videos for the summer lately.

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome, Gresa! I can't imagine quitting games for almost a year like you did. Sounds like that took a lot of self control. I'm guessing you had a lot of pressure on you from school to do that?

No shame in falling back, though. That happens plenty often with addiction. You fall off, sometimes harder than others, and then you just have to get back on. The silver lining is that each time you fall, you tend to learn something new.

Keep us posted!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Gresa! Thanks for joining us here. Are there any videos I could make that would help you this summer? I have been thinking about new videos for the summer lately.

Thanks for the respone.Hmm...So one thing that I'm thinking is whether or not I should continue reading the warcraft lore.I mean I haven't played the game since summer really but the books I find interesting and well written(some of them).Do you believe I should cut them aswell?

Welcome, Gresa! I can't imagine quitting games for almost a year like you did. Sounds like that took a lot of self control. I'm guessing you had a lot of pressure on you from school to do that?

No shame in falling back, though. That happens plenty often with addiction. You fall off, sometimes harder than others, and then you just have to get back on. The silver lining is that each time you fall, you tend to learn something new.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the respone man.

Hmm...it wasn't exactly self-control, it was more like ignoring and avoiding the "enemy".What I did was to completely remove the pc from the house and since most of my close friends were also studying,we avoided any gaming related conversations.So I quickly stopped thinking about it.

But of couse just removing the pc is not a solution anymore, so I'm looking to do it in a more "proffesional" way this time.

Day 1

I don't have to say much really.The good news is that I didn't game.I did a few of the things that I had do, and that's about it really.

Oh man I feel like this is the most boring diary already :P .

So anyway I believe I'll need to start creating some sort of plan for the next day and the next day...You know so I have a direction instead of just filling time.

Bye!

Posted

Don't worry about boring. How did you fill your freed up time? How did you feel about it?

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome to the forums and good job on starting your journal! Don't worry about if your journal is boring or not, you have to remember its your and no one else's. So write how ever little or much as you like.

Yeah creating a plan is beneficial to completing your detox, fill up your day with learning new stuff and doing things to keep your mind and body busy.

All the best. :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Don't worry about boring. How did you fill your freed up time? How did you feel about it?

Internet browsing.You know the feeling you have when you waste time :P .

Thanks Falky, i'll have that in mind.

Day 2 - Game Free

Guys if you don't mind I'll be sharing only what I believe is worth sharing, not every single detail of the day.For this reason i think most of my daily reports are going to be preety short.

Continued after a very long time reading a fantasy book.

Went out with friends,had a nice time there. :) 

I'm also making a goal list for the following 7 days. (Sunday to Saturday). So here we go :

-Go for a run 2-3 times.

-Draw something everyday (In fact I'll be posting a drawing each day here just to make sure that I follow up).

-Read something at night before bed time.

I'll add any new ideas that come in mind.

Gn everyone. 

Edited by gresa
1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think there's anything bad about reading the lore books if you don't find they are causing you to want to play.

Posted (edited)

Day 3 - Game Free

I'm quite happy with this day.Checked a few of the today's goal list boxes.And as promised(I have goal to draw everyday something) for this week I'll be posting a drawing each day.So this is the first one.

Gn!

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.db9c8b4a0a4b9466364bb

Edited by gresa
Fixed image rotation
6 people like this

Posted

Day 3 - Game Free

I'm quite happy with this day.Checked a few of the today's goal list boxes.And as promised(I have goal to draw everyday something) for this week I'll be posting a drawing each day.So this is the first one.

Gn!

IMG_0525.thumb.JPG.db9c8b4a0a4b9466364bb

looking good!

2 people like this

Posted

Sweet drawing!

1 person likes this

Posted

Drawings!

awesome!

Posted

Thanks for the responses everyone, helps a lot.

Day 4 - Game Free

Today was a little dissapointing because I had the time to do many things but spent most of my time internet browsing.So any ideas on how you deal with "nonsesne internet browsing" appreciated.Also I was feeling a lot sleepy today, and seriously I'm not sure why.IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.6c7c2fc6bc5be61395bde

I'm not trying to advertise the book in any way, but I feel like I have to say this,some of the drawings I'll be posting are from a book called The Fundamentals of Drawing Landscapes by Barrington Barber.

By the way this is supposed to be a waterfall. 

Gn :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think there's anything bad about reading the lore books if you don't find they are causing you to want to play.

I feel like throwing in my two cents on this one.

I agree that reading lore books is probably not that big of an issue. But in my case, I opted not to. I had a couple RPG-related lore books and chose to get rid of them when I quit gaming. I think when you quit it's best to fully close that chapter of your life and move on. If you keep reading gaming-related books, you keep yourself connected to those times in the past when you were gaming. You have reminders. It's kind of like keeping mementos or pictures of an ex that maybe you shouldn't be, or something along those lines. It's easier to move on from a break up when you don't have reminders sitting around everywhere.

Plus, specifically in this case, if you like fantasy books (I do) there are a ton of great, probably better written fantasy novels out there that you can dive into. Think of it as a way to scratch the same itch while also connecting to a new niche. You can check our r/fantasy or r/books and find people you can connect with over fantasy books without needing it to be connected to gaming.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

1 person likes this

Posted

Today was a little dissapointing because I had the time to do many things but spent most of my time internet browsing.So any ideas on how you deal with "nonsesne internet browsing" appreciated.Also I was feeling a lot sleepy today, and seriously I'm not sure why.

I'm not trying to advertise the book in any way, but I feel like I have to say this,some of the drawings I'll be posting are from a book called The Fundamentals of Drawing Landscapes by Barrington Barber.

By the way this is supposed to be a waterfall. 

Gn :)

All I can say is avoid the browser and if you really have to do anything with it just do exactly that, don't let your brain see anything interesting. It happened to me too today, I watched youtube vids for about 2 hours all on Donald trump hate. Feels like a waste of energy :P. Nice drawing by the way I will check that book out for sure!

1 person likes this