NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Becoming the Best

Little Guy

Hello,

It seems appropriate to introduce myself, now. I will not. Going into this, I hope to start a personal transformation; a movement to something new, something different.

You see, at present I am a complete dimwit and as incapable as an electric can opener. As evidenced by the fact that I am now essentially introducing myself despite the fact that I said I would not. However, that is not an issue, as I see it, because that allows me to grow - perhaps I will be as big as your mom someday. 

With the goal of one day having the words, "That was a great Little Guy." uttered at my funeral, I start this journal with a promise. A promise to myself. A promise to you. A promise to everything. I will be back, everyday; and everyday, I will be better than the last.

-J

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lampshade said:

Welcome @Little Guy. Self-improvement is a long, slow, boring grind but it's worth it/

Indeed it is. In fact, most everything that is worth doing is. However, perhaps as alluded to by @Commissar it is also both liberating and enjoyable once the cattle are moving.

6 hours ago, Alejandro said:

Welcome sir. Enjoy the journey !

With honor and glory! May the stories of your adventures be great too, Sir Alejandro the Grand.

2 hours ago, Commissar said:

Welcome!

And I'll fight you on boring, Lamp! Having a choice in how I spend my time's pretty great, as far as I'm concerned. 😄

Seeing a Commissar fighting a lamp seems like a truly soviet thing. It is a spectacle I would not dare miss.

Day 2,

Awaking, the gleam of sunlight gently penetrating through the curtains. What does this day hold? I reluctantly pick myself out of my bed. "Here we go," I whisper to myself. Yesterday, I had decided to make a post on this forum because I knew that once I did I would be committed. Yet, I knew what commitment meant. Previously I had gone through this process, I had been involved with this forum before. Quitting Video Games and YouTube is no new pot of tea. It is the same old pot of tea that has been standing on my table for the past three years. Yes, things have improved. No longer do the grips of pessimism hold me; no longer do the flames of self-pity engulf me. Even so, the YouTube videos have once again taken over many hours of my life, worse still, the video games have crawled back in as well.

Of course the question then arises, "Why do I continue on the paths that I know are only destructive to my psyche?" Could it be the pounding of my heart as I experience a flush of panic, every other day? Might it be my feelings of being lost in this confusing world? Or are such mindless sources of entertainment the only ones that my fragile dimwitted brain can comprehend?

Alas, here I stand. Ready to try again. Because how else will I, or anyone, ever achieve anything? It is not those that fall, that ultimately fail. It is those that fall and who do not get up again, that ultimately fail. May you the wonderful reader try as well, and stand up again whenever you do fall.

-J

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Little Guy said:

Why do I continue on the paths that I know are only destructive to my psyche?

I bet that question has been asked by millions of people of thousands of years. It's a part of consciousness.

And games creeping back in is pretty normal, cause this shit is hard. I also noticed my social media and internet usage creep way up to fill the gaming void. For the first half a week-week though, for me, the goal was all about quitting gaming so I was fine with it. After that first week or so the gaming urge went down and I was able to work on the other addictive parts more easily. I agree with @TheNewMe2.0. I've been posting everyday in the early days and it has helped reaffirm and track trends, analyze behaviours, see common features between people, etc. Just helps learn about an important topic.

I'll give in to @Commissar, I refuse to be the champion of cynicism lol. I just found that in the early days I craved that fun I got from gaming (even though at that point it wasn't even fun) and struggled to get it anywhere else for like the first couple weeks after I stopped. After that though, yeah, actually having diversity in life has been pretty spectacular. And overwhelming, I want to do everything!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheNewMe2.0 said:

Keep posting, posting everyday has helped me stay clean.

@TheNewMe2.0 It is invigorating to hear such wonderful news! Staying clean is a gleefully good habit to have within the 21st century. Even the Romans understood the importance. Hopefully you have tried mint shampoo, they say mint is good for the scalp and as such you can hit two biscuits with the same mallet.

...on a slightly more serious note. I am truly glad to hear that things have been going well for you; seeing your signature has been inspirational and has put reading through your journal high on my reading priority list. Posting everyday was already my goal, but your comment has reaffirmed to me that this is something distinctly important. Thank you old charcoal.

12 hours ago, Lampshade said:

I bet that question has been asked by millions of people of thousands of years. It's a part of consciousness.

And games creeping back in is pretty normal, cause this shit is hard. I also noticed my social media and internet usage creep way up to fill the gaming void. For the first half a week-week though, for me, the goal was all about quitting gaming so I was fine with it. After that first week or so the gaming urge went down and I was able to work on the other addictive parts more easily. I agree with @TheNewMe2.0. I've been posting everyday in the early days and it has helped reaffirm and track trends, analyze behaviours, see common features between people, etc. Just helps learn about an important topic.

I'll give in to @Commissar, I refuse to be the champion of cynicism lol. I just found that in the early days I craved that fun I got from gaming (even though at that point it wasn't even fun) and struggled to get it anywhere else for like the first couple weeks after I stopped. After that though, yeah, actually having diversity in life has been pretty spectacular. And overwhelming, I want to do everything!

@LampshadeYes, it does seem tangible that a significant proportion of the human populous over the course of time, have questioned such things. As a Psychology student I am continually fascinated by the illogical nature of the human race. What is more, it is fascinating how convinced people are that they are purely logical beings; however, that is of course not the case and it is most probably more appropriate to describe humans as beings capable of logic but not wholly logical. What I wonder is whether ex-video-game addicts have a better understanding of this emotional and logical dissonance than does average Joe? To me is seems plausible as it does require a certain degree of introspection just to realize that we have a problem which should in theory already lead to a greater understanding of both our logical and emotional sides.

Day 3,

What is this? That is the question I frequently ask myself. Life - this is what I mean. Realizing then that life is a sandbox, I am then able to comprehend a bigger part of it. If life is what you make of it, then no one should be able to tell you how to live it. Yet they do.

Nonetheless, I do not give a single dam. In fact, I do not even own a single dam and as such I cannot give one. Yes, at the moment I am moving rather slowly, but I am moving at least. Yes, I have failed at so many things, but failure is a sign that you are trying.

One step at a time. Another step after that. Then another one.

-J

Edited by Little Guy
Grammar
  • Like 1

Day 4,

Exercising has been doing me a immense amount of good. I have always been interested in exercise and have for most of my life been fairly active. Unfortunately due to health problems (Now resolved), I turned into an especially inactive person over the past year - until recently. For the past two months I have slowly been improving my fitness. It started with small quantities of a couple of body-weight exercises (pushups, squats, pullups, etc), and now I am starting with weighted variants of those exercises, multiple sets. This massive improvement in my fitness has done wonders for my physical health, of course, as well as my general well-being. The biggest change has been the excitement. Looking forward to the next workout and eagerly awaiting to see results, has improved my outlook on life in every aspect.

This now leads to my next objective - meditation. With the dawn of the next day, I start my journey of partaking in said activity. I will be including a counter for consecutive days for meditation from now on.

5 hours ago, Little Guy said:

This now leads to my next objective - meditation. With the dawn of the next day, I start my journey of partaking in said activity. I will be including a counter for consecutive days for meditation from now on.

Here's a code for 1-month of Headspace if you're interested, I don't think it's been used yet: REW15-L69YTP4RTDDS