Sign in to follow this  
Ambassador

A journal, through and through

Hey man, can I ask where you live? I've noticed you studying french. Mon francais c'est pas tres bon. I studied french for many years also. It's one of the official languages of Canada although definitely not as widely used where I live. I've been thinking since I started the detox that I wanted to refresh with my French, I haven't seriously used it in many years. 

Best of luck to your GF btw.

• Like 1

Quick entry again

Going to bed early, as planned yesterday. Writing this entry to close the day.

Did French, took notes and read a lot, wrote a little of the thesis. Got caught by YT before writing pet project. Then again, I did a lot of things before that, so it's kinda okey-ish.

Onward.

Overheating

The season is changing. I live near the equator, and here we have only two seasons: hot and humid, and very hot and dry, which is the one coming forward. Hot days make me go crazy, I can barely function in a 35ºC+ afternoon. Which, by the way, was the case today. So, I slacked quite a bit. Didn't do anything useful besides some very few French lessons. In the morning I got occupied taking mom to a small procedure she had to do at the dentist, and at the waiting room, I managed to read a little bit. Besides that, nothing more.

Yesterday I did quite a bit, thankfully, but I skipped the entry because I went to a festival with GF and ended up coming home late at night. She's already at her usual, playful ways, though I'm sure she's still concerned about what she's going to be doing after graduation.

Gonna help a friend with his move tomorrow morning and will end up busy for most of the day, so I'm probably not going to do anything on my thesis again.

Onward and melting.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 1:01 AM, NannerZ said:

Hey man, can I ask where you live? I've noticed you studying french. Mon francais c'est pas tres bon. I studied french for many years also. It's one of the official languages of Canada although definitely not as widely used where I live. I've been thinking since I started the detox that I wanted to refresh with my French, I haven't seriously used it in many years. 

Best of luck to your GF btw.

Dude! Didn't see your post when I commented, sorry! I'm from Brazil and I'm not going to try and type in French because I'm undoubtedly going to butcher it massively! I remember it took me quite a while before actually being able to try writing basic English without being embarrassed by silly mistakes, French probably will take much more time.

Well, you could try some apps, there's quite a few of them. It ain't the perfect practice, but it's better than nothing. There are some good podcasts, too.

• Like 1

Missing days

Those last days I've been doing misc errands and going to social events. I didn't even start the computer, which means I didn't do most of my stuff. Since I ended those days AFK, I skipped the entries. In fact, this habit has become closely related to me using the computer, and I'm thinking about changing its format. I'm willing to move for a physical journal after I complete my 90 days detox, which is less than 30 days away, at which point I'll only write weekly or even monthly in here.

Anyways, nothing much has moved forwards these days, and it's been hard to go back to a strong routine because it seems every day there's something getting in the way of me starting early on to work on my stuff, and that demotivates me a lot to get on with it in the afternoon, which is very slow for me. I need to draw strong lines and start to say no to people. It would help to start saying no to myself first. Gonna give another try in building a strong work ethic, I have no other option besides keep trying again.

Onwards.

• Like 3

Messy

Right now I'm a mess. Didn't do most of my stuff for the day and I have no one to blame besides myself. My workroom is a mess, it has books and paper all around it. My schedule is a mess, I don't do the stuff I assign myself to. I have to review my goals and reconnect with my reasons for doing everything I want to do. Without knowing my why, I won't make the effort. I need a major rework on my routine, my tasks, and the environment I work at. And that's what I'm going to do.

• Like 3

No-one can be perfect all the time, we all have our bad days and bad weeks. Keep smiling, even amidst a mess😁

• Like 1

Rebuilding, refocusing, moving forward

Yesterday I worked on something that might be a huge step in the right direction. I revisited my goals and aspirations, which motivated me again, but I also built a carefully made schedule for the whole month! Day by day, I know what I have to do including wake up time, meal time, and sleeping time. Of course, there'll be days it'll not be followed perfectly though, because I'll do things that aren't listed, and not even should be. For instance, today I'll not go to bed at the scheduled time because I'm going out with GF (BTW, Wednesday she presented her graduation thesis and got a perfect grade, I'm very proud of her). But that's life, right? Unexpected things happen, you have to spend time with your beloved ones, do things you didn't plan. That isn't a sign your schedule isn't working. But when you look to a long term task you just finished you know it is working. And that's where my hopes are.

Moreover, I'm going to detail every task of the day in the morning and reflect on my achievements in the evening. I'll also give myself a general goal or theme for each week and each month, and measure the success likewise. I'm too messy of a person, that's probably my main weakness, and min-maxing my time is probably the best way to go. I used to dread this kind of approach, but I don't feel like that anymore after meditating over it and seeing I must tackle my weakness and make a strength out of it. Sun Tsu FTW.

Today I already followed with most of the stuff I planned to do. Tomorrow will be even better.

Onwards, and get out of the way cause I'm outta breaks!

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, taichi said:

No-one can be perfect all the time, we all have our bad days and bad weeks. Keep smiling, even amidst a mess😁

Taichi!! How's it going?? Thank you for your kind words! 😁😁😁

• Like 1

Officially starting

This weekend had a lot of unexpected things going on, and I relaxed on my planning because it would not be followed for the most part, anyway. But now it has officially started. Going to bed in time, after doing an evening ritual about focusing on my next week's objectives. I lay the seeds and I plan to reap a more stable and conscientious lifestyle. This is an everyday effort and a goal in on itself.

Onward.

• Like 1

Follow up

It's been ok up until now. The plan is going mostly well, especially because I maintain a flexible approach to it so that I can make the most out of my time no matter what. If I'm stuck working on something, I change tasks and come back later. If I feel tired, I take a break. If I feel like working over the time schedule to stop, I do so. The important thing is to keep me motivated. And it's working.

I forgot to set up a weekly goal, but I'm going to set up a reminder so that I do not repeat that mistake next week. My monthly goal is in place, though. It will be a challenge, but I'm up to it since I'm advancing it every day.

Onward.

• Like 1

It's working!

Not a perfect day, today. Neither yesterday. Still, good days. Did quite some work, completed a good amount of tasks. Had a date with GF yesterday, that's why I missed the entry.

My general feeling is that, although I have plenty of room to improve the management of my time and my work, setting up a strict daily routine is really working great! If anything, I procrastinate a lot less and I use my prime time, during the mornings, a whole lot more effectively. Afternoons are still a drag for me, but even that is improving.

Next things I'll do to try and be even more effectively are:

1) Break down my daily tasks even further, so that they are easier to manage and measure;

2) Organize further my working environment and find optional places I can work at, to add variety and maybe improve my afternoon output;

3) Separate my projects into different notebooks and give them priorities and schedules of their own, so I can better keep track of all of them;

Onward!

• Like 2

Minor bumps

I've been sleeping late, getting up later than I should and missing out a part of my morning, which makes me less productive. I have to correct that soon. Other than that, I've been mostly ok those days, doing some work and getting some progress. Not as much as I would like, but some is better than none. I have to remember that less than 3 months ago I was coming out of the gaming whole. I'll not fix decades worth of mistakes and addiction in just a couple of months. This is just the BEGINNING. A good one. I'm thankful for having found Cam's work and for being able to share the load with this amazing community. I don't say those things as often as I should, I don't express my gratitude and my appreciation of people as much as I would like to, this is something I also have to improve.

I didn't follow-up with plans I laid down on the last entry, but I'll do it tomorrow, without fault. GF has no academic activities to do, so she'll come to my place and we'll study together. I hope I can get a hitchhike on her work ethic and be really productive tomorrow.

Onward.

• Like 3

Slowly but surely

I've been correcting my sleeping and waking up times with success. Thing is: now and then I have to completely throw my sleeping schedule out of the window, generally because of some social event, and it's really hard for me to come back to it. Oh, well... life is like that. Other than that, I feel I'm being slightly more productive each day. I changed my working environment for a while, and that gave me a big boost. I feel like I have to do that from time to time.

Will keep it short today.

Onward.

• Like 2