NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Greetings from Mexico

GDT-Y96

Hello everyone. 

I found this site through a YouTube video and I decided to make an account, share my experience and try to drastically change my life in a positive way. 

I first found videogames when my parents got us the NES with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. A few years later a friend of my mom's bought the SNES for her kids and we played all day long when we had the chance to visit her. When we got a N64 for ourselves, I remember staying up late at night as a 10 year old kid just to finish 'The legend of Zelda: OoT'. At the same time we enjoyed Nintendo titles a cousin introduced me to DOOM and Heretic/Hexen for PC. Those were a revelation to me. First person shooters became my favourites.

After that, my brothers and I were already kind of obsessed with games. We usually asked for games or new consoles as birthday and Christmas gifts. GameCube, GameBoy, Nintendo DS and in recent years lots of games from Steam on PC too. Even with this obsession with games I had a pretty normal life, I had a decent group of friends, went to parties ocasionally, got a girlfriend in my first years of college, etc. I believe my downfall came with my first job. I was out of college by now and a bunch of my friends went to work abroad or to other states so we started to lose contact, I was no longer with my gf. Then I bought a PS4 with my first or second paycheck I believe. It came with Destiny. If you are not familiar with this game its a FPS where the objective is to get better RNG loot from different activities. For about 2 years I came back from work and played Destiny until late at night, rinse and repeat. Recently when Destiny 2 came out I tried to convince myself not to buy it but I fell to temptation and ended up buying even the season pass. I fully realized I needed to quit gaming when I found myself raging while playing competitive matches against other players. This is kind of embarrassing to admit but I sometimes feel the urge to punch myself in order not to break stuff around me while losing a match.

Now I still have some friends but I rarely see them and I don't know where to start to make a meaningful change in my life. I am not a shy guy, I can talk to anyone, the problem is that now I feel my head is full of nothing so I don't know what to talk about when I am at family or friend gatherings. I tried my hand at other hobbies such as playing a musical instrument or writing fiction but I soon get frustrated because I don't feel I am making any progress. 

I am new to the site, I have not read many topics but I sure will. Any feedback to take the first steps in quitting gaming definitely will be appreciated. 

Greetings from Mexico. 

Edited by GDT-Y96
Correct grammar

Welcome to GQ

I suffered from some anger issues too when I was addicted to video games,I know it is hard to deal and to manage those kind of emotions sometimes.I hope you change your life for the better and to begin I recommend the 90 Days Detox.

Hola from Peniche! 

Bienvenido al foro! 

I can talk to anyone, the problem is that now I feel my head is full of nothing so I don't know what to talk about when I am at family or friend gatherings. I tried my hand at other hobbies such as playing a musical instrument or writing fiction but I soon get frustrated because I don't feel I am making any progress.

Developing new hobbies is really helpful to develop a lot of small talk and trivia, so two birds in one shot. Also, games are designed to be super stimulating and rewarding, even at a chemical level. You'll need a bit of time to rewire and begin to feel other activities interesting. Delayed rewards like the satisfaction of playing music or writing can be frustrating, but absolutely better than anything games could provide. Like instant food vs. healthy diet, takes effort, but it's worth it.