NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Why is it so weird talking about game addiction? (IRL)

sirjk

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone else had the same feeling when talking about your or gaming addiction as a whole to somebody. I explain to them it's similar to gambling and they just seem to look at me like I'm stupid. 

I don't even bother explaining it anymore. Did you guys talk about gaming addiction to someone? What did you say to get them to understand?

Hey Cam, thanks for the info! It just clicked to me that game addicts treat gaming addiction like depression.

A lot of people who have depression will never speak out or tell anyone about their troubles or feelings.  Thank you Cam for this website and your videos. It's helping us out in so many ways. It's hard to find information about gaming addiction since it's such a new thing. I have a feeling gaming in the future, gaming will be treated like alcohol, people might say gaming isn't that bad, but all the people around my age either play hours a day or don't play at all (maybe once a month). 

I think it has something to do with the fact that it is such an "unknown" addiction. I personally saw it as a personal flaw myself until I got to see how hard the detox can hit you (or me in this case...hehe). For me gaming addiction is now just the same like other addictions, in fact it's kinda scary to see now what can be addictive... it's insane.

I just saw a Tedx Talk about someone being addicted to a step counter until she seriously injured her neck because of it...

I think the danger of being addicted to something is growing more and more and in the near future there will surely be the need of enlightment, but right now most people are not at the point of realising this. Also addictions are a very private thing (as stated), so it's awkward to talk about it I guess.

Thank you Cam for this website and your videos. It's helping us out in so many ways. It's hard to find information about gaming addiction since it's such a new thing.

Happy it helps. That's a big reason why I launched the website - there were little to no other options for people and I figured, fuck it, if no one else was going to do it, I guess I have to.

The reason people don't speak out more is because of shame and stigma. I talk about that here.

I think the danger of being addicted to something is growing more and more and in the near future there will surely be the need of enlightment, but right now most people are not at the point of realising this. 

Another way to look at it is the world have made so much progress on tackling bigger problems that people are now casting a spotlight on first world problems such as addiction to gaming. 

Because talking about an addiction is usually uncomfortable.
Having an addiction isn't something to be proud of. But you can be proud of accepting that you have a problem and taking steps to change it.

It's important to realize that video games are the symptom of a deeper personal issue. Once you discover that issue is easier to explain it to someone else.
In my case my problem is depression and the outlet was playing video games.

However as you gain control of your addiction it will become easier to talk about it.
Talking with people you trust and cares about you makes it easier as well.