NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

"Mindful" March 2016 - Sign up!

Cam Adair

Use this thread to share your commitment to abstain from playing video games for the entire month of March 2016.

New in March:

• Our goal as a community is to have 1000 members complete the 90 day detox this year, allowing us to quantify the impact of not gaming within your quality of life. We're currently at 136/1000 so we need your help!
  • To sign-up and participate in this study of our community, click here.

New to Game Quitters?

1. Learn about the importance of the 90 day "no gaming" detox here. Learn about compulsive gaming and video game addiction by reading through StopGaming, the Game Quitters website and CGAA.
  2. If you are committed to your 90 day detox, sign up for this month by replying to this submission. It's that simple.
  3. To track your progress setup a badge (coming soon to this forum). The counter has been having a few troubles lately so we also recommend using an app like Coach.me or a whiteboard/calendar in your room.
  4. Document your progress in a daily journal. Having a daily journal will help you clarify your thoughts and process your experience.
  5. Ask questions and get support by posting on the forum. The more involved you can be in the community, the more likely you are to succeed.
  6. We have added an option to get an accountability partner this month. Post your own thread here and find an accountability partner.

Ready to join? Reply to this thread and answer the following:

1. What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?
  2. How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.
  3. What are your goals?
  4. Why are you doing this?

Is it past the first of the month?

No worries. You can still join in. Add your commitment and start your detox today!

Word of the month: Mindful

I choose the word mindful for this month because when you quit playing video games it's important to be mindful of your experience. You're stepping into the unknown and starting down a new path. You'll experience many different emotions and situations you may not be used to. Mindfulness allows you to stay unattached to what's happening and continue to focus on your goal of not playing video games. Read more about mindfulness here.

Thanks to /r/nofap for the inspiration. If this thread provides value we can continue to do them each month.

Edited by Cam Adair

I commit not to game, not to browse youtube/movie4k besides gamequitters and not to masturbate this month. Also will i find the time to meditate atleast 15min a day and try to be more mindfull. I  implemented some of these things allready in my life. Others like  youtube/movie4k are new challenges.

I do this to become more aware fo the things i really want out of life and to improve the connections with my wife, my family and friends. I want to improve my fokus and concentration.

Ps: You still have the February titles in it( happens to me all the time if copy my old journal entrances for structure), but it is a little confusing.

My detox takes me beyond March, so I might as well sign up!

I commit to not play any games and to continue reducing the amount of time I spend mindlessly browsing the internet. I will be more mindful of how my habits, both positive and negative ones, impact my physical and mental well-being, and where applicable, try to make changes for the better.

Simply put, I do this to try and improve myself as a person, the specifics of which I'm still in the process of working out.

Ps: You still have the February titles in it( happens to me all the time if copy my old journal entrances for structure), but it is a little confusing.

:P

• 3 weeks later...

Cool thread, Cam! 

Well, it's almost the end of March, but I just started my Detox March 10, 2016.  I am so glad I committed.  I will answer the above questions as follows:

1.  What is your commitment? No games? No streams? Anything else?

No games at all.  And limiting my time on the computer, in general. 

2.  How long do you want this challenge to last? By default it is one month, but 90 days is recommended for your detox.

I want to go beyond the 90 day detox, and make this a life-time commitment.  I tried moderation two years ago, but it did not work.   So, I'm going to be a non-gamer for the rest of my life, and I am okay with that.  I've discovered another realm of goals that will and have kept me occupied since the day of my detox.  It has not been without toil and emotional challenges, as I did leave a network of friends behind in the online gaming world.  But in retrospect, it was for the best.  I kept a few friends who still stay in touch with me, and I look forward to meeting new people in person and building a solid social circle.

3.  What are your goals?

I want to be a dedicated runner and complete a 5K by the end of summer or June 2016.  I want to be healthier with my diet and lose at least 20 lbs by the end of this year.  I want to save money on clothing, and sew my own work clothes, an entire wardrobe, by the end of this year.  I want to learn a new instrument, possibly violin.  I want to make new friendships that will hopefully last a lifetime. 

4.   Why are you doing this?

I am doing this detox because I was not happy with my past social and health situation.  I was becoming more irritable and started to turn my back against the world, avoided opportunities to meet potential friendships outside the game, ignored my mental and physical health, deprived myself from sleep, and almost gave up on the prospects of living a better quality of life. 

• Guest unpinned this topic
  • Hitaru locked this topic