My Journal - Joe

502 posts in this topic

Posted

Always an inspiration Joe. It's awesome to see you active around here again, and that activity not being bad news. You're one of the most appreciated members of this family of ours, and with good reason. Cam usually refers to your journey in his work and it's being a pleasure and an honor to help extend that story throughout the world by any means possible. From a blockbuster writer you're just the average Joe (hehe, see the pun... okay sorry) but you're right, life is not a high-budget movie with explosions and random chinese sayings. In doing nothing extraordinary each day, you've become someone completely extraordinary. Bless you man.

You seriously honor me with your words.  When people compliment me like you have just done, I always use it as an inspiration to live up to those words.  I promise I won't be doing any Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle style flameouts on you.  Bless you too!

Today was another average day with successful habits.

I have a nice little meditation streak going again.  The momentum I've built by restarting my journal and reading around the forums a bit has given me the extra bit of motivation I needed to not hit the snooze button and meditate in the morning.  Meditation is such a nice little treat for my mind.  All I need to do is make the easy choice of doing it.

As I slowly make my way through the Slight Edge again, I found my favorite passage in the whole book.  "Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around."  I've been using that phrase a lot over the last year to fuel my progress in life.  The funny thing is that I completely forgot that I first read it in the Slight Edge.  It's been my theme through this whole journey.  In my past, I have had other sayings that I have collected during periods of crisis and the personal growth that accompanied it.  I think I'll just list them so that I have them all in one place.

• Mistakes in life are inevitable.  It's what you do afterwards that makes all the difference.
  • Anxiety is a terrible motivator.
  • Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around.

I guess those are the three main Joe proverbs so far in my life.  I'm interested to find out what the next one will be.

I'm thankful for:

1. Taking a shower after a long day.  I took two walks in the gross heat today so washing off was such a great feeling.
  2. The internet.  I've used it today to share my journey, gain inspiration, stay current on world events, listen to world class educators, and unwind with a show.
  3. The healthy dinner that I'm about to eat.
2 people like this

Posted

"Happiness is the key to success, not the other way around."

:x

1 person likes this

Posted

Today was a really good day.

After work, we went to a new Mexican restaurant that opened up within walking distance of our house.  It was pretty good, and I think we'll be going back at some point.  From there, we went to the farmer's market to pick up some fresh veggies to batch cook for next week.  We wrapped up the day by going for a nice hike.  I'm really tired so I'm just going to keep this short.

I'm thankful for:

1. Seeing some fantastic journals around this site.  I love that we're not alone in our game quitting adventures.
  2. Getting some things done today that I've been trying to accomplish for a few months.
  3. Relaxing with my wife and cats right now.
1 person likes this

Posted

This weekend was great.

We were able to do the farmer's market, hiking, the beach, and chores.  We were very mindful to not rush and just enjoy all of it.  Sometimes we get caught up in trying to pack way too much into a few days and it takes away from the time.  I've found that being consistent in my efforts combined with good prioritizing and realistic expectations is the best way to go.

Now that I'm going to be going to school in a few weeks, I find that I'm appreciating my work a little bit more.  It's a nice feeling that I didn't really expect to have.  I'm ready to give it my best effort this week at work to make sure that I leave on the best terms possible.

I'm thankful for:

1. The weather cooling down a bit after quite a few days over 90 degrees.
  2. Learning more life lessons on a regular basis.
  3. Not having any video game dreams for a while.
1 person likes this

Posted

Is this your last year of school? 

Posted

Is this your last year of school? 

I really hope that I can earn my bachelor's degree by the end of this academic year.  However, I hope that it isn't my last year of school because I have grown to love learning and I want to get my master's degree and architecture license.  It will probably be my last year of school for a few years though.  I have my plans, but I know through experience that they almost never work out exactly.  Still, it's a good framework that guides me in the direction I want to go.  For now, it looks like this:

1. Get bachelor's degree
  2. Make baby #2
  3. Get an engineering job at my company
  4. Get a job at an architecture firm
  5. Get master's degree
  6. Get architecture license
  7. Create my own firm
  8. ???
  9. Profit
  10. Observe flying pigs
  11. Play video games

It's kind of ironic that goals are so important in life even if they don't work out at all.  There's something about of choosing a path and following it that makes everything, even the unexpected plot twists so much more enriching than just bumbling along.  My life is so far removed from what I had ever imagined back in high school, and that's an amazing thing.  The unpredictable nature in life has almost always ended up giving me my most treasured memories, possessions, and relationships.

I'm thankful for:

1. Overcoming so many fears in my life.
  2. Running around outside and using sidewalk chalk with my baby.
  3. The new chapter in my life that's about to begin.
1 person likes this

Posted

Haha that's a great list! I think you need to add playing ice-hockey with Cam to it! Don't think I've forgotten! 

1 person likes this