All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. JPAO

90 Days - Part 2

Day 38? Been working heavy hours, volunteered at a boys camp for a week, and generally been sleeping a lot more, also going out a lot. Sorry for posting less often then mayhaps I should, but being able to vent/talk every once in awhile is still nice. I have been slowly improving at work, moving faster and faster until i wear myself out by Friday, then I recover over the weekend. Hoping to be used to the labour before fall arrives in full force. Johno back again 🙂
  3. Yesterday
  4. I'm going to tell that guy tonight that I'm not being his best man. Fuck this. I am tired of doing things for the sake of others at my expense. Fuck that.
  5. I found a few YouTubers have been helpful. I think Graham Stephen has been helpful. I don't think Ryan Scribener is helpful. They both desperately want attention, but Ryan is fake and Graham is more authentic. There are others online who can give decent advice. I wouldn't believe in any specific stocks they suggest because it could be a way for them to influence people to invest in their stocks.
  6. Gaming was at the epicentre of our lives, we'd invest lots of time, consciously (dream) think about it, unconsciously think about it etc. So giving up gaming is a huge achievement for people like us. But it is also a process. When I stopped the first time, I began doing what you're doing, filling my time with equally as vacuous hobbies as gaming. But...we both know that watching TV and web browsing is not nearly as detrimental as playing games. However, this doesn't excuse it. Clearly, you've gained foresight because you can see that watching TV and web browsing is not what you want to spend your time doing. But treat yourself with compassion by reminding yourself of what you've achieved (giving up games in the first place). Now to address the problem at hand, I've recently had a revelation. You do not need to entertain every urge, thought or feeling in regards to whatever, it may be; gaming, wanking, watching TV, web-browsing etc. These things are non-reflective of your (moral) principles, opinions and self. Personally, I created a few rules regarding hobbies such as TV and web-browsing to ensure I wasn't wasting my time. These included only watching TV shows that are the following; educational, interesting (to me), informative etc. The same goes for web-browsing. The moment I feel myself falling down the all too familiar rabbit hole of looking at memes, I step away from my thoughts and apply objectivity. To suggest more immediate, practical anecdotes to your problem, I'd suggest downloading 'Block Site' and adding your most visited sites to it. It's kind of a flawed application because you're in complete control of what websites you can or can't visit. But, I believe that someone who is as strong-willed as you (proven by your strength in giving up gaming), will be able to resist the temptation of visiting 'banned' sites.
  7. Ikar

Ikar's Diary

Day 121: Work! After that, I ate, went outside, took a nap and asked a few friends/family about investing money. I would like to get that out of the way, as I feel my future is somewhat lined up for at least the next two years. I guess Getting Rich Slowly might help with that too, though it is a US blog.
  8. I agree. I may have spoken out of anger for most of my posts this weekend regarding socializing and personality types. Just unfortunate that I was surrounded by these people and I'm trying to actively remove them from my life. I like where my life is at for the time. I like boxing, rock climbing, and working on my cartoon. It's nice. I like socializing with a few people and I'm learning I don't want to date right now. I've been pretty happy for the past 2 weeks. I also generally only post on people's threads who post on mine. I used to actively post on multiple threads but I don't think many people share the same interest in helping you as you do in helping them. But I appreciate the journaling process in monitoring my progress.
  9. Depends. I am happy to write back to someone commenting on my journal, but ultimately, I do it primaripy for myself and not for somebody to comment on it. Even if I sometimes leave something out to crunch it in my head first, it is better than having no journal and no accountability at all. As for friends, "introverted" does not necessarily mean "without social skills", but those two unsurprisingly correlate with 8-hours a day gaming addicts. If they are that, and you think they are at least not as self-aware as you in this regard, then leave them. No regrets. They will hardly notice you are gone, but again, even crappy friends are still better than none. Myself, I will try a bunch of hobbies once I get home in about 3 weeks and try to socialize more through them, as my work schedule is irregular.
  10. RB1

Journal

Excuses my brain has tried to make today to forgive a relapse... "It's been 36 days. You've gained enough control to watch a few videos and stop by now. For sure. I've heard it only takes 30 days to overcome a bad habit. You deserve this." "You're on vacation right now! You're gonna be home in a couple of days, then you're gonna be working full time again. If you don't relax now, you'll probably relapse when you're back home and stressed out. Just get it out of the way now, and you get get back with the detox when it really matters." "It's almost day 40. Hold off till the 40th, but then you deserve a quick break. Just watch a few gaming videos and get back to your detox. Well... If you're gonna watch some videos on the 40th, might as well just watch a few now. No difference really. Get caught up with all the content you've missed out on in the last 36 days and leave it all behind again and continue with your detox." "What's this detox really about anyways? Once you get to day 90 you're just gonna go back to your old self anyways? Just enjoy yourself!" "This is a gaming detox, so watching gaming content doesn't really count. If you just watch a couple of gaming videos, it's not like it counts as a relapse or anything. (My detox is literally centered around avoiding watching gaming content more than gaming itself) "Fuck it" Gonna get out of the house and avoid this catastrophe altogether.
  11. A year ago, having just spent an entire weekend cooped up inside my room gaming, I decided that the time had come to create a journal and start living my life seriously. Since then all kinds of crazy things have happened. I finished my grad classes with a 3.97 gpa, got a research job at Stanford University, did hospice volunteering for 8 months (and counting!), went on a few dates, joined a cult, and climbed a fat mountain! Among other things. Ironically I did spend all of this weekend cooped inside my room, but thankfully it wasn’t due to gaming, or even the internet. I’m excited to announce that I’ve finished the first draft of my med school personal statement!!!! It’s still hot garbage, but I’ll have until June to continue to work at it and make it better. I have to admit that I’m tearing up a little as I type this because I never really thought I’d get this far. I could use all the help I can get, so if anyone would like to proofread personal statement alpha please don’t hesitate to let me know!
  12. I'm going to post even though I don't want to.. In my previous post I still had plans to game. I knew I didn't feel done yet. I had one last level I wanted to beat. I actually took this past Friday off from work so I could get back at the game and focus on it. This was actually a planned day off from work so it felt much better, rather than me texting in at the last minute. My favorite time to game is in the morning, that's when my brain seems to be the most rested and adept. I don't like playing at night b/c there's that impending doom feeling that either I'm about to have to go to bed or I should already be in bed. So I had a 3-day weekend to get in all the gaming I want, get it "out of my system". Well, I beat the level. I beat it Saturday morning. But guess what? I went back to the game after that. I still had a lot of weekend left and I just didn't want to let go of the game yet. I re-played the level and lost. And then I lost again. And again. I was starting to think me winning the one time was a fluke, an anomaly. Me being stubborn, I really wanted to figure this out and show I had mastered this. It's not like I was playing on the toughest difficulty or anything. I ended up playing the game through Saturday and Sunday night. Between Saturday and Sunday it was more of me either playing or watching the game more than 12 hours a day. It was an absolute binge this weekend. And it still feels unresolved. I never got a 2nd win on this last level, which nags at me. Now it's back to the work week for me today. I won't have another day off for another 5 days. I could play after work this week, but it just doesn't feel the same. I feel very conflicted right now. I want to play the game some more but I want to leave it. Just being honest, that's where I'm at..
  13. RB1

Journal

Insane cravings today... Thought this would get easier and easier, but it looks like week 5 is the worst of it all... :(
  14. Isac

Productive day

Only 6 days to Bail It's only 6 days until I travel to Bali, Indonesia. I'm a bit scared, but that's a part of growing in life. If it wasn't for the community and Game Quitter, I wouldn't be in this amazing position that I'm in right now.
  15. Day 28. "D-Day" 13 pushups & 26 situps per day - I did my reps yesterday and I think I may have hurt my foot a little bit... I am seeing my physical therapist in 2 days, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I've hurt it before and after a day or two it all resets again. I just have to make sure I do my reps today and not lose my momentum. Today has been quite productive. I'm trying to get into the habit of waking up when my girlfriend wakes up to leave for work. We had a breakfast date yesterdaymorning at 8, which gave us all of Sunday to do what we wanted. It turns out, sleeping 8 hours and waking up at a decent time really gives you a good feeling. It's like there's all these extra hours, all of a sudden. I might try to become more of a day-person than a night-person. The deadline is tomorrow. I've gotten some feedback so I can write my second draft in a minute. Then I'll rewrite it and send the producers my third draft and hope that we can tape it. I'm rather nervous. Making 8 more episodes would be wild but also incredibly challenging. I also have my improv classes in less than a month and I haven't prepped anything yet. Add to that that there's freelance gigs all over my planner and by the end of the month, I might get taken off of sickness leave and thus would be forced to either continue my part-time job, quit and still grind my teeth and stress out for 6 more weeks or would have to find something else asap. I'd like to fantasize that I'd make the bills by freelancing and focussing fully on it. But I've been doing that for 2 months now and progress is slow. I'm scared that one day I'll have to admit that maybe this lifestyle just isn't for me. Maybe I need some help getting started somehow? Recent highlight: Getting a meringue burner. I'm making a lemon cake this week. Crunchy bottom part, lemon cream in the middle and topped of with toasted meringue. Fuck I love cooking. Budget status: Saved my first money this week using my weekly allowance. And also, my checkings account was looking okay, so I stashed another 100 on my savings account. I'm slowly trying to build up my accounts again. My one goal for the next 24h: Get my second draft done. Do something else. Then get my third draft done and send it in.
  16. Your response is incredibly mature, holy shit. A lesser person would just feel hurt, get angry and start a fight or worse. It seems you can look at him with love and understanding, despite his toxicity.
  17. Perhaps you can view your browsing and TV watching as a step down while you were eliminating gaming. Now that you recognize that behavior is equally wasteful you can actively seek to reduce it as well. If you really struggle with this you might ask yourself "what needs is it fulfilling for me and where else /how else can I get them met?" Or am I trying to escape from something I'd rather not confront?
  18. Good for you Jordan! Keep up the good work and please share, when you have a moment, what has helped you deal with procrastination.
  19. So for a bit of background, I'm 29 and have, like many of you, been gaming since I can remember back on the Sega Mega drive. I've graduated university and have had several jobs, without any in particular stimulating me as much as gaming does. I've even worked on the opposite side of the world, where I only used a PlayStation once over the course of a year. That time was definitely the best and most productive year of my life, where I completely grew as a person and met some amazing people. I long for the day that I can go back to feeling this way. I live with my girlfriend of 2 years and she is amazing. She's accepted that I've gamed and never had much of a problem until recently, where my work situation has changed and I'm not doing enough to resolve it. I would be the most stupid guy on earth if I lost this girl due to a few pixels on a screen, so I knew I had to do something about it. I found this community by Googling "do I have a gaming addiction?" The article suggested 9 signs of being an addict and I'm ashamed to say I ticked every box. I've lost interest in things I used to enjoy (gym, playing sports etc) and have probably gained 10KGs over the past 3 years. I've used gaming as a way to relieve me from negatives moods and an escape from my mental health problems (anxiety and a lack of motivation). The two that resonated with me the most are the lying about my gaming and the fact that I've turned down job opportunities so that I've been able to maximise my free time to gaming. I recently lost my job in June due to being unable to relocate at the current time and I'll admit I've been playing on average 10 hours per day instead of being proactive in my next job search. I've also continually lied to my gf who I live with about what I've been doing with my day, claiming to have spent the whole day applying, yet arguing with her when she wants to see proof. I've failed with 2 interviews within the past 2 months and I know that I could have been better prepared if I didn't spend as much time on the PlayStation. Last week I finally admitted to myself and those close to me that I had a problem and I haven't switched the PlayStation on for 10 days now. I've also gone cold turkey on watching gaming related content and on games on my phone. I do feel that I'm in a better place, I'm slowly becoming more productive with my time and enjoying spending time with my gf more. I'm going to need help and motivation from more than just her and myself, so I'm looking forward to interacting with you all who are in a similar situation. If you can resonate with my situation or just want to chat about your own journey, I'll be more than happy to offer some help. Thanks guys.
  20. I’m doing really good. I’m on my longest streak of no procrastination and no gaming which is 9 days. I’m feeling better and better.
  21. Hey, thanks for checking out the podcasts! Means a lot 😄 We're also releasing more gaming-focused episodes on anchor.fm/gaming-the-system if you run out of things to watch!
  22. You got me 🤣 I didn't realise its been 2 months since my last post, though. That's crazy! I'm currently in the middle of travelling to Thailand so I'll write an update post when I get there! 😄
  23. Don't cut off everything at the start, eg no net surfing, as you will begin to resent it and because you'll be making so many changes at once, it might be hard to see what ones are actually effective and work the best. Maybe start with not surfing on gaming sites, but still doing some recreational surfing or personal development, then go from there. You'll get better at it the more you practice. What course are you studying?
  24. How did you go? Get your morning exercise sorted? Doing exercise in the morning before work/school does require a lot of discipline and to have your life sorted the night before - both aspects that aren't very common so you won't see many people voluntarily choosing to do exercise in the morning. Start on episode 14 of the GQ podcast, there are some very helpful guys on that one 😉
  25. Change your environment. Go for a walk, get away from your desk, go to a different room, do some dishes, heck even watch tv if all else fails.
  1. Load more activity