NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Is programming a Visual Novel a "safe" hobby?

LostSoul

Hi!

I'm trying to quit games so I can have more time to do other activities. The problem is that one of the activities is to develop Visual Novels. I'm learning how to draw and also writing the story. I am a software developer so coding will not be a problem. My question is: Is Visual Novel development a harmful hobby for me to take? I'm not asking about game development in general, but Visual Novel in specific, since I know that developing a MMO would not be a good thing for me to do. I think visual novels are not really games. They are interactive books. There is minimal level of gameplay and very little interactivity. They are like interactive Graphic Novels. I recently "played" "Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell". The "game" had not a single dialog option. It was a simple story moving forward without interaction. And it was enjoyable. But I didn't feel like I was playing. I felt like I was reading.

In my Visual Novel I would make it have two or three paths for the reader to follow.  But they would not result in defeating, simply would be a ending. The reader could reread the Visual novel, to get other endings. They could go back to the decision points directly to get the other options so they would see other endings, without the need of start the Visual Novel from the beginning.

In the more advanced Visual Novels that I have in mind I would put a battle system like Chrono Trigger, but without the possibility of girding or finding better equipment. They battles would be fixed, with predetermined level and special moves for each character. And in this case of course of course it would be a game.

I plan to release them for Android/IPhone and Steam.

Am I a traitor to the cause? Can I proceed?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, LostSoul said:

I plan to release them for Android/IPhone and Steam.

Am I a traitor to the cause? Can I proceed?

Hey man. Just a question: Is a baker a bad person? Llike he is selling sugary stuff. Sugar has the potential to create serious diseases. Some people eat to much sugar. So is the baker the problem? 🙂 

On 5/2/2020 at 3:11 PM, Alexanderle said:

Hey man. Just a question: Is a baker a bad person? Llike he is selling sugary stuff. Sugar has the potential to create serious diseases. Some people eat to much sugar. So is the baker the problem? 🙂 

But are drug dealers, manufacturers, and others the problem for drug addicts? Tough analogy lol.

I'd say you're walking the line based on your own morals. There are beer brewers who support helping alcoholics, but love their craft of brewing beer. There are others who realize there are sick people who can't drink alcohol because it releases inner demons within them and they get sick again.

You also can't worry about what other people think because they're generally worthless at the end of the day in your every day life.

Here's the question: How would you feel about making the game? Would it satisfy artistic creation and expression for you? Are you afraid of making people as sick as you were if they were to play your game? Which one has a heavier weight on your conscience? That's your answer.

My friend who has quit games for 8 months is making a handheld game because it challenges her interests and she enjoys it. Is she a bad person? Nope. Could I make a video game? No. I don't want people feeling what I felt.  But I am making a cartoon right now. Are there people addicted to YouTube and binge watching things? Yup. Do I care? I don't know. 

See where I'm getting at? You can keep asking and making cases for each side. Make it if you want and see how it feels. You might make money off of it or find a new passion for programming and writing and move on to something great. 

Good luck.

• Like 1