NEW VIDEO: Letting go of gaming

Sign in to follow this  
Vetsen88

I hope this is a turning point

Hey Guys,

My name is Erik and I've been addicted to games ever since I was 5 and my dad brought home a Sega Genesis. It's probably obvious that I'm pretty old now, I'm already 31. I haven't had the easiest life and because of that I have a ton of mental health issues, and gaming has been my way to escape from it all. I'm going through therapy for everything but I recently realized that I've still been using gaming to escape from my emotions and avoid doing the hard work I need to do on myself. In short, it's holding me back to the point that therapy just isn't working. So, I'm here basically to add another tool in my therapy utility belt. My goal is to quit gaming completely because I've long since recognized that it's not a good thing for me. I've tried quitting before but didn't last very long and I hope this program will make the difference! I know it will be hard, so I hope you guys will support me, and I'll try to do the same in return. Anyway, nice to meet you all and wish me luck.

• Like 1

Welcome Vetsen

I hope this program will make a difference for you as it has done for me. Cam Adair and his colleagues are doing great work and you will come to value these resources as you change for better. 

Since you have gamed for so long its important to approach this issue comprehensively. I just keep reading how people relapse because they are fooled by a momentary upswing in their mood. 

Never be afraid of your feelings or your identity. You will always find help and strength.

gaming is the way to escape the reality but your goal shouldn't be just quit gaming! you need to recognize why you want to escape reality at the first place  and why you use gaming to escape from it. no matter how old you are , the moment you decide to live a meaningful life and make a change you took a huge step to become who you are , a successful person.

of course we support each other but you are the one who can help yourself the most. figure out what you want , plan for it , stay positive and remove whatever makes distance between you and your goal. i know some one who entered in med school at age 37 to make a change in his life , it's never too late . 

Thanks for the advice, both of you. You make a good point, reza, that my goal shouldn't be just to quit gaming, but honestly I've really lost sight of my interests outside of it. I guess my goal at this point is just to try a million different things and see what sticks. Hopefully I'll find my passion. I've known for a while why I want to escape reality: a lack of a social circle and escaping the pain that comes along with that. So another major immediate goal is to rectify that and find some friends. Hmm, just typing that out helped me solidify what my current goals are. So thanks, that was very helpful!