NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Quitting Destiny....

Hi all, this is my gamertag. I am 2 weeks out now since I had an epiphany and decided to quit Destiny after a year of:

Arguments with my wife, staring at my phone in chat rooms on LINE, DISCORD, BAND, GROUP ME, DESTINY COMPANION APP, as well as other apps used to manage gear etc and lfg for this game, staying up late, not going to bed- sleeping on the couch, essentially trading time in my life with my family away to this game and continually showing my loved ones that this game was more important than them.

I miss the game and the people in my "clan" but the game was ruining everything. It's the kind of game that had to reinvent itself continually in order to lure people in and it keep them trapped. You find yourself continually grinding for the new gear or new version of something so that there's always some quest or hell bent mission you're on that keeps the game in control of you. I started to wonder, does the Xbox controller have control of me, or me of it? Honestly I couldn't tell anymore. 

So 2 weeks ago today, I got fed up, went to the store, got a refund on the Rise of Iron dlc I bought, deleted and uninstalled all the apps I used on my phone, and uninstalled the game from my Xbox 1.

Now I'm having withdrawls. Some days or moments better than others but especially as the date for the new dlc to drop draws near, having mixed feelings.

I need some extra strength or encouragement....

Everything in life has been better since getting out of Destiny. I have reconnected with my wife and kids, I feel awake. I went so far to eliminate all these apps and the game from my console, as well as sent a post to my clanmates regarding what the game was doing to my family life, that so many ties have been cut I'd look like a hypocrite and a weakling for putting it all back together and getting back to the game and all.

Hello! 

I miss the game and the people in my "clan" but the game was ruining everything. It's the kind of game that had to reinvent itself continually in order to lure people in and it keep them trapped. You find yourself continually grinding for the new gear or new version of something so that there's always some quest or hell bent mission you're on that keeps the game in control of you. I started to wonder, does the Xbox controller have control of me, or me of it? Honestly I couldn't tell anymore.

That's really important what you've realised. I mean, the whole aspect of grinding and reinventing a game to grind it in alost the sae way but with some factors transfored into something else. You're able to abstain from games no matter what and I believe in you.

Everything in life has been better since getting out of Destiny. I have reconnected with my wife and kids, I feel awake. I went so far to eliminate all these apps and the game from my console, as well as sent a post to my clanmates regarding what the game was doing to my family life, that so many ties have been cut I'd look like a hypocrite and a weakling for putting it all back together and getting back to the game and all.

You're not a weakling, because you quit, you're strongling because you quit! Keep it up, despite your gamer friends.

I would just say to anyone, find your strength and stay with it. For me, reuniting with a rededication to what matters in life with my wife and kids has been huge. I have also been really digging into the Bible and finding a lot of strength there.

Bible rocks! I mean, you can find a lot of value in this book.

I recommend 2 action steps as a solution for your problem:

1. Start writing your daily journal to be more consistent about your commitments and see how your emotions, withdrawal and discipline will change over time.
  2. Find an accountibility partner to share your thought on quitting games with.

Don't wait for a miracle, just do it!

Greetings, Mad Pharmacist

I would just say to anyone, find your strength and stay with it. For me, reuniting with a rededication to what matters in life with my wife and kids has been huge. I have also been really digging into the Bible and finding a lot of strength there.

It's a hard process, no lie. Remember to put in the time on doing cool stuff outside gaming that deliver the same thing. Like going on adventures with the family or taking some quiet time to read a new book. We're here for you when you need us. You're not alone.

Hi Axe, thanks for sharing your story! It certainly seems that gaming has caused more harm than good, but writing it all out and identifying the issues is very helpful so good on you for posting here.

Withdrawals and cravings will be inevitable, so just keep in mind the reasons why you've quit when the going gets tough. Otherwise you've made a flying start, so welcome to the community!