NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

I'm new here.

My Name's Matthew, and I've been playing video games as long as I can remember.

I always played by myself as a baby; Mom said I was always entertaining myself, they could go in the other room and leave me by myself and I wouldn't make a sound.

My earliest gaming memory is wave race on the N64 and it was pretty much downhill from there.

I Isolated myself from friends and family. I wouldn't do my schoolwork so My folks took my gaming privileges away during the school week.

Friday after school, mom would always take me to Movie Gallery where I rushed to the video game section to try out a new game. Time was precious, I only had a short amount of time to play these new and exciting games so I had to make the most of it.

I didn't want to do anything else on the weekends but play video games. This went on until after middle school when my folks lifted the weekday gaming ban. After that I did what I needed to do, but just enough to get by so I could have plenty of game time. My grades were slightly above average and I never participated in extra-curriculars until late in my high school career. I didn't want to pour all of my gaming energy into other things.

I believe having games so restricted from me early in life is partially why I game almost constantly when I'm not at work, or at the gym, or driving two hours to see my loving girlfriend; any free time I have is time I could spend playing video games, and if I'm not spending that time gaming I feel as though I'm missing out.

My life revolves around gaming. I go to work and while I'm there I'm thinking about all the fun I'm going to have when I get home and start gaming. Meanwhile in the back of my mind I remember all the things I really should be doing instead. Like fixing that pervading issue with my car, or looking for a better job, or planning for my future. It all gets pushed to the side.

I'm feeling a lot of sadness choosing to give up this thing that I've devoted so much of my life to. It's going to be difficult but I have to try and beat this addiction. If I'm ever going to get anywhere in life.

Thanks for reading, I'll see you guys out in the real world.

Hey welcome and good luck to you.

free time I have is time I could spend playing video games, and if I'm not spending that time gaming I feel as though I'm missing out.

I had the same kind f feelings. Life was stressfull because I knew I couldn't make enough freetime for my gaming desire. Every new task was annyoing. It felt awesome as i quit games and deleted all my games because I could relax for the first time in years. Sure cravings would still come . But if a friend ask me now if I want to talk a bit I don't hear the voice telling me that I don't have time for such crap. Neglect all other benefits of gamequitting and it is still worth it for me.

I really hope things work out for you. If you need any pointers  just ask and I can tell you about my experiences so far( I am at day 51 of the detox).

Greetings Mario

• Guest featured and pinned this topic
  • Guest unfeatured and unpinned this topic

We're here for ya!  I am quite new to detox as well.  It is always a good feeling to know you're not alone in the journey even if each of us may have different goals and personal struggles.  I think gaming for me was just a big bandaid covering up something I was ignoring.   One day at a time is what I say!!