NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

I need sleep, help

notKosmic

I started playing d2 again. Just for the last several days. Last night I couldn't fall asleep because I'm thinking about the game. Then I've been starting to wake up after only four hours and my mind is racing with the game. Moderation ain't going to work with this game. I need to quit cold turkey with this one.

What would you do? Can you guys encourage me?! I don't like where this is headed... It is miserable.

• Like 1

You might take steps to make it impossible to play. What platform is it on? PC? Console?

(I have to confess I'm not sure what "d2" is!)

Sell off/get rid of whatever it is you need to play the game, if you can do so without messing up other parts of your life. I sold off the good graphics card from my desktop PC, so now I can't play the open-world RPGs and sandbox/survival/adventure games that devoured my time, but my computer can still do all the other things I need it to do.

It may also be a matter of deleting an account or, again on PC, installing an app that permanently blocks the game.

• Like 1

@Zeno thank you! My brain keeps thinking now about playing in moderation. "Just limit it to one hour a day. No watching videos about it, or anything other than one hour." I don't know if I could do that though. Yikes.

D2 is Diablo 2.

I play on PC. What program can block the game? Couldn't the person just uninstall that program from blocking?

Edited by notKosmic
  • Like 1

I haven't used it myself, so I don't know how well it works, but I've heard of an app called "Cold Turkey". Apparently, the only way to circumvent it once you've set a restriction is to reinstall Windows.

But, again, this is only second hand. You should probably verify for yourself that the app 1) exists and 2) is safe to use.

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 2

Hey, welcome. D2 and LoL were what I was most addicted to when I gamed. I used to play D2 and I'd be thinking about it constantly and unable to work very competently.

What I did: deleted the game, deleted all records of my CD keys and I think? deleted accounts linked to blizzard that I could use to retrieve CD keys. Then I gave my gaming PC to my mom and bought a Macbook which can't really play games worth a darn. And of course committed to quitting, did a pros/cons list on gaming and found some replacement behaviors that satisfied the pros that gaming did for me, did other things when I felt bored, yoga, meditation, journaling here daily, paper journal, work, spend time with mom, Yeah that's most of it. Just keep trying till you stay stopped and never give up.

Try posting in your journal to your future self.  Imagine you could sit with your future self and tell him how awful D2 (or any game) makes you feel, what it does to your life, job, school, relationships.  Tell him how useless it is to excel at something no one will ever care about.

Then post a sticky on your screen border that says, 

Before installing games go to https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/9738-i-need-sleep-help/.

There is a windows app called Sticky Notes.  Just hit the Cortana button and type in "Sticky".

Capture.JPG.a23879c0709bc722f2370a9f56cecdae.JPG

• Like 1