NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Relapse (Weekly Reset)

james castle

I've noticed a terrible pattern I just can't get out of.  The center of my addiction is Destiny for Playstation 4.  I've quit over and over again but every week I relapse at the weekly reset when all the weekly challenges and powerful engrams reset.  I was perfect for a whole weekend and then Tuesday hit and I relapsed hard scooping up powerful gear from the new 6 player match made activity and even went hard in the Iron Banner.  What can I do?

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you're having FOMO (Fear of missing out), since you're relapsing when the 'season' resets. Unlike life, we don't have that kinda hard reset or fresh start. That might also be something that's drawing you in, only you can know for yourself. I've personally never experienced FOMO with gaming, but know it's a driving factor that keeps ppl addicted to today's popular online games (I quit multiplayer 3 years before I found and started StopGaming).

Theres a lot of resources out there specifically for understanding and overcoming FOMO. Here's just one article I found from Psychology Today.

Also, welcome to the forums!

• 4 weeks later...

If you desire to change that habit then start in the middle of this process. Identify the "bad" habit.

2. Checking and Playing Destiny on my PS4 once a week.

Then you want to think of the habit changer in this way. Make sure the new habit is something you can do QUICKLY (60 seconds or less) Any longer and it will become much more difficult to do.

1. When this happens ______________________________

2 Instead of Checking in and playing Destiny on my PS4

3. I will ________________________________

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi! How old are you currently? This might be a bold idea but, have you considered selling / giving away your playstation? If you don't even have a gaming station at home, it'll be harder to relapse. 

Gaming does not give lasting happiness. Even just sitting still, or going out for a walk, creates -way- more happiness than gaming.

Keep fighting! ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 6:51 AM, DoctorAddict said:

Hi! How old are you currently? This might be a bold idea but, have you considered selling / giving away your playstation? If you don't even have a gaming station at home, it'll be harder to relapse. 

I second giving away/selling your playstation. Creating barriers to entry will make it easier to stay away. Your brain is smart and can figure out other ways to game still, but if it's inconvenient , it's less likely you'll relapse again. I know for me deleting my accounts has helped get me further than when i still had them.

• 2 months later...

There is so much you can do.You might not want to read this though as it may hit hard, so please don't if you're vulnerable.

Write down 100 reasons why you game. May be you can do 200. In fact write down every reason.

Then take it to another level. There should be 4 areas which each of those reasons fall into - you may have to dig deep.

Physical

Mental

Emotional

Spiritual

Then you will have the why you do it.

I am going through this as a guide if it it helps: Rewire Your Brain off Video Gaming

Next phase is moving onto the how.