NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Florian's Challenge

Florian

It made me think about this video:

https://youtu.be/l1ffFe8wXpo

He talks about opening loops in the headline, and then closing them within the post.  He started talking about an alligator whereas you introduced a penguin.

Something I tried to take from your advice is to continue having a little something in my teaser videos. Most often an interesting statement (like "today, I am confused").

Maybe I can switch to doing physical props more often. And then close the loop a bit more efficiently in the blog post. Maybe by finding something that characterizes the whole content of the blog post.

Food for thought. Thanks again!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird what gets noticed and what doesn't. You can spend ages writing a post that's you think is excellent and it gets ignored.  Then you can write a trashy click-bait list post about the modern man and it gets more attention than all your recent posts.  (My 27 Ways to be a Modern Man rebuttal took about 30 min to finish)

I'm happy if anything I write helps you out.  I'd be reluctant to call it advice though.  I'm still very much an amateur at copywriting.  I merely notice connections sometimes.

300+ articles on kingpinlifestyle.com and look at the top 5 for comments:

Screen_Shot_2015-12-12_at_3.13.44_PM.thu

Some will certainly do better than others. And there will always be that one that provides the majority of everything. :)

Hey Cam, I think you should totally do a "Quit Games" blog/website. You could do YT videos and maybe even a forum! I think there is a lot of interest around here ;-)

As Ed said, it is sometimes hard to predict and unexpected which article people like most. Getting rid of addictions, especially ones that are not talked about in the mainstream - I should have been surprised though if that wasn't doing well.

Are you aware that you are the only one talking about video games addiction? nobody else really does it. and you have an inspiring story with it.

Edited by Florian

Crazy busy today. It's incredible how fast time runs by when you are actively doing something.

I realized that for growing a website, even if it is not a lucrative business (yet), it is important to see whatever you do under the aspect of producer, not consumer. All of a sudden I am using Social Media with a purpose - to provide value and not just give comments. Not totally internalized that thought, but it gets better.

What am I grateful for today?
1. Getting up early. I enjoy the time in the morning tremendously. The day is fresh and I get to play with it.
2. Enough sleep. That is, of course, also important. 6 - 7 h work for me. Not more, not less.
3. Starting the week on a sunday. The old trick. Working unperturbed in calm and serenity, and while people hate on their monday, I am already in my routine.
4. A great 2015. Looking back, I did not achieve everything I wanted (I am too fat ;-), but I did better in other areas (published paper, started to get my website going).
5. A new year soon. And thus, I can take momentum into the new year. Guys, if you want to make it easy to stick to your NYE resolutions, start them NOW!
6. Having made new friends. From that point of view, it was an awesome year. Game Quitters, meetup.com, and still kept in contact with old friends from High School!
7. Having kept old friends. Yeah, as I just said. Two friends from high school, one of them telling me about another guy from HS who started a drop shipping business designing leather purses for doctors. It is SO easy to start a simple business nowadays. Hard work as always, but simple.
8. My iPad. I love my devices, but one of the investments for the coming year will be a new iPhone and a new iPad. And new iMac. At some point, they outlive their time, which really is a shame... but the Youtube app does not work on my iPad anymore, several other apps stop working on my iPhone, and the twitter and facebook feeds are so slow that I start to wonder whether there is a little troll inside my phone who carves Social Media onto my screen. That must have been what Apple used in the early days.
9. My family. Always having my back.
10. Writing every day. Look at this list. Can you tell I LOVE to write? And none of the explanations you see here are edited. This is all written in one go. What I think, I write down. I rarely edit. That must be the effect of writing 750 - 2,000 words every morning for over a year now, with an unbroken 282 day streak up to today.

What would make today great?
If I get all my organization done with a realistic plan for the next year, months, weeks, days (with enough time to breathe and not more detailed planning beyond three months).
Did I? No, but I got my act cleaned up enough that I can go into the next day in a very relaxed way.

Daily affirmation.
I can do it with silent determination.

Three amazing things that happened today.
1. I realized that I can rely on me waking up on time if I make sure I have at least 6 hours of sleep.
2. I got the manuscript proofs for our paper in Development - it’s cool to see the final version!
3. I never really sweated after calisthenics - so I started again to finish 
120 squats/sit-ups/push-ups with the 7 minute workout from the NY Times. Result: sweat. And a sore quad 8 hours after finishing.

How could I have made today better?
If I had gotten up before 7 am. Tomorrow!

Oh, by the way. After I saw ... yes, what did I see? Sometimes I feel like that professor who falls asleep midsentence, trying to figure out his "Y?" See picture.

In one aspect, this year was truly amazing. I have never met so many quality people that have challenged me to become better than in this year. Thanks Cam and GameQuitters!

ProfHastingsY.jpg

300+ articles on kingpinlifestyle.com and look at the top 5 for comments:

Screen_Shot_2015-12-12_at_3.13.44_PM.thu

Some will certainly do better than others. And there will always be that one that provides the majority of everything. :)

Are you aware that you are the only one talking about video games addiction? nobody else really does it. and you have an inspiring story with it.

That's why I work as hard as I do! 

What am I grateful for today?
1. Thank God It’s Monday! One of my most favorite mottos. Even though I can hardly wait to get up any day of the week, mondays are especially sweet.
2. Getting up early. 5:30 am. Dream come true. If I had thought I'd say that 5 years ago, I would have thought I'm crazy.
3. My space heater. Warm apartment, happy Florian.
4. My family. Always there for me. My mother will be visiting over Christmas.
5. “Getting Things Done” meetup tonight. And the meetup was great, met nice people.
6. My iPad. Thanks to this device, finished "Crush It!" by Gary Vaynerchuk on my way home in the commute.
7. Christmas time. Even though it's far too warm. I expect some snow soon! The weather should behave.
8. Books. See point #6.
9. Helpful friends. Similar to my family. I have reached out to old friends from high school THREE TIMES this year.
10. Richard Strauss’ “Thus Spoke Zarathustra”. Most of us know the very first trumpet and timpani solo. I encourage you to listen longer. Observe how long the organ stays active after 1:40 in the video. Or notice how one of the greatest waltzes in symphonic history at 21:00 gets built up from 17:46 onwards. The cello passages after 18:34 are some of the hardest parts I have ever played myself. But amazing! This whole orchestra sounds like a gigantic wall of sound with single voices clearly sticking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5snUSJpLU

What would make today great?
If I got my list done according to schedule.
Not completely, but most of it. Deadlines for your daily projects work amazingly well.

Daily affirmation.
No matter what happens, I will come out on top.

Three amazing things that happened today.
1. The "Getting Things Done" meetup went well.
2. My Twitter fellowership is growing.
3. I finished another blog post.

How could I have made today better?
If I had managed to also cook for the next days. Tomorrow!

10. Richard Strauss’ “Thus Spoke Zarathustra”. Most of us know the very first trumpet and timpani solo. I encourage you to listen longer. Observe how long the organ stays active after 1:40 in the video. Or notice how one of the greatest waltzes in symphonic history at 21:00 gets built up from 17:46 onwards. The cello passages after 18:34 are some of the hardest parts I have ever played myself. But amazing! This whole orchestra sounds like a gigantic wall of sound with single voices clearly sticking out.

100%!

Have you ever listened to Antonin Dvořák - Concerto in B minor Op. 104? One of my all-time favorites!

Edited by Tom

100%!

Have you ever listened to Antonin Dvořák - Concerto in B minor Op. 104? One of my all-time favorites!

Just listening to Brahms Cello Sonata op. 38 right now, always great.

But the cello concerto you mentioned has a special place in my heart - it was also my very first CD I ever bought. 

Same interpret as in the link you posted, actually... different orchestra. The whole part after 10:34 is simply stunningly beautiful, especially the passage after 11:40. Must be one of my favorites in all of music. Also see the duet with the violin at 38:00 - you realize Dvorak was good in composing chamber music as well. It's an almost intimate passage between cello and violin.

I learnt to love this concert when I would ride my bike in the fall of 1990 during dusk, fog hanging over the fields, then coming home and listening to that music on my tape recorder. One of the best times of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

A Happy New Year to everyone!

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to do a 90-Day Detox. Not for Games, in my case, because I have never really been addicted, but for sweets and snacks. I hope that is still congruent with the Game Quitters mission.

I can bake a cake myself, or take some carbohydrate rich meal containing rice, oats, pasta now and then, but no sweets, chips or treats that you would normally find in a supermarket. Also no McDonald's or Burger King - I have never felt completely satisfied from their meals anyway.

This is really something that I have not managed to live without, and it is slowly killing me.

If I have cravings, I will motor through them, because those instances will also be great learning experiences.

Once I am over my cold, I will also go out and finish the remaining parts of the 30-day challenge I did not yet get to.

Edited by Florian

I also have a quick question to everyone.
It concerns the choice of mentors.

A couple of days I wrote a blog post about 10 potential mentors with one question I would ask each one of them.

I think I probably listed a big group of multimillionaires and billionaires from Donald Trump to Richard Branson.

Looking back at that list, I feel a little bit guilty.

There have been so many people helping me throughout my life, why would I introduce potential mentors that I have never even met?

Wouldn’t it have been my moral obligation to mention those first that have actually helped me already?

Curious to see how you will feel after 90 days of no sweets and snacks. Bet you will feel a more clear energy. :)

The first day was very relieving. Apart from an apple, did not even eat any carbs - no desire. Just meat, eggs, protein shake and vegetables. Hot lemon because of my cold, and the sweetener was Stevja, neither honey nor sugar. So yes, it is going well so far. 

Actually, while everyone has mulled over and talked about his NYE resolutions in the daze of last year's end's special mode of accountability... and the fog is clearing up into the actual New Year, confronting our dreams with reality - here is a video I found just now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2V-PwAphS8

According to Gary Vaynerchuk, you best spend January 2016 with listening, and then match what the customers/team members/your own progress are telling you with the goals you want to achieve and make THAT happen by the end of 2016.

So therefore I will spend January 2016 in making my blog better navigatable, so I get a clearer sense of which articles have done well in the month of January and then focusing on writing more about those topics that performed well.

I think the video above makes a lot of sense in many different topics, because end of January is the time most NYE's resolutions fizzle out. Maybe people only need to take a small step further and adjust their resolutions to the pace they were able to go during January, then keep that pace during the rest of the year.

E.g. I want to get down to 8% body fat by the end of 2016, but if January makes me lose "only" 1%, then maybe what I can expect is only a loss down to 15% by year's end. Still a win.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for being absent for a while, I'm back!

As a quick suggestion, because I think that book has not been mentioned as often: 

Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Randy was diagnosed with terminal stage pancreatic cancer, and then he prepared for one last lecture telling people how to "really achieve your childhood dreams". The book chronicles his journey towards this lecture.

This is his lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

As a quick suggestion, because I think that book has not been mentioned as often: 

Randy was diagnosed with terminal stage pancreatic cancer, and then he prepared for one last lecture telling people how to "really achieve your childhood dreams". The book chronicles his journey towards this lecture.

This is his lecture.

Great resource!

This is his lecture.

I've seen one of his lectures not too long ago on youtube, it's really amazing what he has accomplished and how he inspires others to do the same!