NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

major study announcement

Cam Adair

Hey everyone!

First I just want to say if you're reading this, thank you for being a part of our community. Over the last year it's been amazing to see how our community has grown.

Today I'm announcing a major initiative to push video game addiction research forward. The full details are here.

As many of you will know, video game addiction is not currently taken seriously and that is because it’s not currently recognized as an official diagnosis in the DSM.

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States and contains a listing of diagnostic criteria for every psychiatric disorder recognized by the U.S. healthcare system.

Although in the last edition “Internet Gaming Disorder” was recognized as a field needing more research, until it’s officially diagnosed in the DSM there are major consequences including a lack of insurance support and so forth.
Since the DSM-V came out there has been more research coming out about video game addiction, and what I’ve read has left me feeling optimistic.

There Are Gaps in Video Game Addiction Research:

And that’s where our community comes in. Since our community is full of people who are or who have struggled with a video game addiction, it’s up to us to start filling gaps in the current academic research.

Now as much as I would love to do this, putting together studies to publish in academic journals is not my expertise. So I’ve been looking for a partner on this and I found one in Dr. Daniel King from The University of Adelaide in Australia.

Dr. Daniel King has a proven track record of being published in academic journals, including papers on the topic of video game addiction.

We Are Officially Launching Our First Study

Today we officially announce our first study, The Game Quitters Challenge: Complete the 90 Day “No Gaming” Detox.

This study is for you if:

• You are someone who is currently gaming or you’ve just recently quit (less than 1 week.)
  • You are 18 years or older. (Sorry for anyone under 18, we will do something specific for you at a future date.
  • You are willing to commit to filling out five surveys over the next 90 days, even if you relapse.

Important: You must be 18 or older to participate and use a real email address when you submit your answers. Otherwise we will not be able to use your information in the study or be able to follow-up with the other surveys.

If the above sounds like you and you want to participate, here’s how it works:

1. You sign-up fill out your first survey here
  2. You will receive your next survey (automatically) via email on Day 7, Day 30, Day 60 and Day 90.
  3. Complete each survey, even if you relapse.

And that’s it!

Please retain a copy of this information sheet for future reference

if you have any questions, hit me in the comments and I'll reply to you. Over the past few months I've been traveling to a ton of "addiction industry" conferences and I can tell you, our community is at the very forefront of video game addiction and we are, collectively pioneering the entire field.

If you're reading this you are at the very forefront of video game addiction in the world, and I believe because of that, it's our responsibility to share our story in any way we can, including within the academic literature.

I hope you'll join me and Dr. Daniel King in this study, and ones to come in the future.

Well, I actually can't participate in this ... as I've currently on day 23. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I mean, lol, what a great problem to have though :P.

That's ok. Good problem to have! :D

It's great that gaming addiction is getting much needed academic research! 

Yes, much more is coming. This is the first study we are going to do but I have many more plans in the future.