NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

My Pixelless Journey

Dufresne

Greetings from Brazil, and sorry for my bad English.

I wrote this post with the help of Google Translate, which is why I want to free myself from games to focus on learning languages, especially English.

About me:

I'm 37 years old, married and have a very active life. For example, I have been making artisanal pizzas for the last 3 years, I read a lot, I am not addicted to social media and cell phones.

However, video games are one of my passions, having accompanied my life since I was 10 years old.

I don't play often, but I like reading about the gaming industry, watching video analyzes of the franchises I like and creating lists in Excel that, deep down, I know I'll never be able to play due to lack of time.

However, I feel empty when imagining a life without video games. All my consoles were purchased with a lot of work and dedication.

Games are part of my story, and a life without them seems strange, but I believe that my life could be better without any type of interaction with the world of electronic games.

My dream is to be fluent in English and I have a lot of difficulty mastering this language, but I continue to learn every day. But I know I haven't been giving my best. Today I completed 1472 days of studying with Duolingo, but I'm still on unit 15.

Today, 09/22, I complete 7 days without watching any video about games, reading about games or playing games. They were all locked in the closet (PS4, psvita and psp).

I still haven't managed to remove emulators from my phone and delete many ebooks about games from my device. 😕

I'm going to post my daily reflections here and I'm counting on your help.

If you are a native English speaker, how can I improve my English and really learn, dedicating my best. Could you help me, please. Thanks

Dufresne

Edited by Dufresne
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Good day, Dufresne! 

It is an important decision that you want to re-order your passions, especially replacing video games with another language.

You made it sound like learning and being skilled at video games has been a part of who you are, which I can understand. So, I had 2 ideas:

1: Is your partner interested in improving in English too? If yes, maybe watching movies or tv shows in English about things you both enjoy learning about, during your spare time. Have conversations about them too!

2: Artisan pizzas! Are they a kind of business for you? Being able to explain or even sell your methods in English to people who ask could be very useful!

Otherwise, reading old, well-known fantasy stories which often use good English - like Frankenstein, or Lord of the Rings, for example - could be of use. 

P.S. - Are you familiar with Shawshank Redemption? That is a short to medium length story you can read too - 'Dufresne' is the surname of the main character. 😛 

~ Matt

Edited by wheatbiscuit

• Dufresne changed the title to My Pixelless Journey
On 9/22/2023 at 7:27 PM, wheatbiscuit said:

Good day, Dufresne! 

It is an important decision that you want to re-order your passions, especially replacing video games with another language.

You made it sound like learning and being skilled at video games has been a part of who you are, which I can understand. So, I had 2 ideas:

1: Is your partner interested in improving in English too? If yes, maybe watching movies or tv shows in English about things you both enjoy learning about, during your spare time. Have conversations about them too!

2: Artisan pizzas! Are they a kind of business for you? Being able to explain or even sell your methods in English to people who ask could be very useful!

Otherwise, reading old, well-known fantasy stories which often use good English - like Frankenstein, or Lord of the Rings, for example - could be of use. 

P.S. - Are you familiar with Shawshank Redemption? That is a short to medium length story you can read too - 'Dufresne' is the surname of the main character. 😛 

~ Matt

Hi Matt, 

Answering your questions.

1. My partner doesn't like studying English.

2. I make pizza as a hobby, but I have plans to sell it for delivery. I have been putting energy into this project.

I've already tried reading Lord of the Rings, but it's too complete for my beginner English haha

The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie. And like Dufresne in the story, I want to be free. In my case, freedom is not being a prisoner of video games. 
Thanks, bro!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

Today I complete 20 days without playing video games and also without watching any videos about games or useless subjects. 

My access to Youtube is only to watch videos to learn english.

I discovered this amazing podcast for beginner students: Listening Time Podcast made by Conner Pe.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/listening-time/id1556878879 

https://www.youtube.com/@listeningtimepodcast

So, I'll update here when I complete 30 days without games. Of course, if I don't fail 😥

• Like 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

This is a warrior attitude, have you noticed opportunities and visualized them ? What could you achieve after one year if you keep being healthy this way? Are there any threats that can undermine you?

Yes, I have been dedicating more time to reading business books and biographies.

I have been studying to start a small business in my spare time for extra income, with a small investment of 1400 dollars.

Soon, I will share more news about my plan.

I need to learn how to better optimize my time.

However, I still can't create the necessary courage to sell all my video games. They're locked in the closet. 

Thank you for your message

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Today I complete 111 days without playing videogames and also without watching useless videos.

I confess that it has been a difficult journey. I have many plans for 2024 and I intend to share them here soon.

Let's go ahead