All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Hi, my name is Edoardo I'm 20 from Italy. I have finally admitted to myself that my gaming addiction is a big problem, and want to take control of my life. I want to experience everything I have missed because of this and more. For years I have fallen into various addictions such as drugs, smoking, alcohol and of course, gaming. This has lead to a vicious cycle where I let these things, my emotions, and others take control in my place. Now I am ready to let all these things go, and while I know it will be hard I think I am ready to do so. I wanted to start with quitting gaming as it is the longest addiction I've had and one I relapse to the most. I have never tried joining a community though, and I hope this helps. Already admitting this to myself and to others makes me feel a little 'lighter'. Hope I can get out of this mess, and hopefully give a hand to someone else.
  3. Hello, thank you for clicking on my post. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction; I have successfully manged to eliminate my gaming addiction but I have replaced it with something equally as wasteful of my time: mindless web browsing and hours of TV watching.
  4. Day 145 16.08.19 Gratitude journal Today I am grateful for the great but not hot weather Today I am grateful for already feeling better. One amazing thing that happened/I did today ---- Workout/run more than 16k steps 2h workout at the gym Meditation 10min in the morning Visualisation and daily affirmation this time it is affirmation in the morning again 🙂 Reading (1hour of studying for the exam today) had enough time for learning spanish with podcasts while lying in bed and feeling sick but was only able to study one measly hour 😞 my wake-up time around 8:15 Weekly Goal(s) start waking up at 6:30am, study at between 5 and 8hours per day, have at least 2 perfect days in a row Monthly Goal to study at least 4 hours a day (or as average over the weeks), be more grateful for everything in life, find the joy of living in the moment, think hard about my values and what kind of person I want to be, find ways to avoid falling back to old habits in times of boredom especially now in the summer 3 Month Goal getting my degree or getting it nearly done during the summer, having a really productive life, living my life so that I am proud of it, avoid the comfort zone as much as possible What went well today: (NF:0/NW:0/NS:1/NC:61) had so much time for spanish and a bit for meditation but because I had stomach problems nearly all day my studying fell really short 😞 What I could have done to make my day better still no Tai-Chi 😞 and not much studying 😞 but that will change on the day before I go on vacation! What I will do differently tomorrow/What I have planned for tomorrow: wake up around 8, study at least 4 hours,do some Tai-Chi!!, o running and go to the gym with a friend, prepare for the vacation, clean the flat and think about the short-term changes for diary while I am on vacation Weekly summary, thoughts and improvements for the future ---- 
  5. Congratz on the record! Keep it goin :)
  6. I am 61 days into my detox, I just want to try and see what it's like without gaming. So far it seems that I am much more productive and less stressed out about obligations. I have much more disciple as well and can stick to be good habits better. I am not sure if I will continue gaming after 90 days, although I wasn't addicted I sometimes go addicted and had to catch myself, I usually did, but by that point I had suffered in parts of my life.
  7. Day 12 - Rainy Road In the morning went to a meeting. After that my father asked me for help driving a truck on highway. We went to another state loaded some grass (that apparently only grows there) and got back. Which was all day. Had no time for cigarrete craves or gaming. Now I'm just home and ready to sleep. Easy day hehe. Wish all of them where like this.
  8. Hey! First of all, big props to being a med student. I respect that so much man! I'm with you and your problems. I haven't actually had a heavy gaming problem in the last few years. I used to play an insane amount of League and Smash Brothers Melee, but quit league like 4 years ago and cut melee out significantly. However, after quitting league I discovered the world of Twitch, youtube gaming channels, and gaming social media following on twitter. I quit gaming for the most part, but began to binge watch gaming content for insane amount of hours each day. I thought I was moving forward by cutting gaming and didn't draw the correlation between gaming itself and watching gaming content for a while. I think it's even possible to argue binge watching gaming content could be worse for you than gaming itself. I'm currently studying Computer Science, so I can relate to you when you say you spend 5-6 hours a day staring at a computer screen for school related purposes. I too didn't want to be in front of a computer screen after my studies due to eye and mental strain and what felt like isolation from the normal world. The crazy thing is that I got used to it after a while and when you're addicted to gaming and watching gaming content, it just becomes easy to go from studying on your computer straight to those activities. My life became being in front of a screen for 5-6 hours programming or studying, then spending the rest of my time in front of a screen again gaming or watching gaming content. I'm a month into my detox and the experience feels like it has really, 'refreshed my dopamine' substantially and feels like I've limited myself from that, 'information overload' you'd mentioned. You're not alone man and I hope we can keep it up! You're doing great man! Also, thanks for the comment you made in my journal the other day at a rough time for me. Meant a lot man.
  9. Day 110 No VG - 110 day streak, No SAH - 6 day streak (did see some at a bar though...I won't make the same mistake though), NF - 2 day streak Today went pretty well actually. Started off with a sense of dread and lack of desire to go to work. I went anyway and had a good 1:1 with my boss. He seems to think I'm doing well. That makes one of us, but at least it means I won't get fired soon. We also talked about the overload I have right now and he seems to know what's going on, which is also a relief. He's a good boss. I'd be happy if I good be as good an engineer as he is. Had to go into the city to review my MRI results. Not that bad, no surgery needed. In a way though, it is a bit of a bummer though since that means the problem isn't getting fixed, so no running for me. Maybe I can crush some PT somehow. I don't know. Afterwards, I spent a good amount of time texting and catching up with old friends who are away. I also went to a bar in the city I could never visit when I was poor in grad school--not as exciting as I'd hoped. A little too bougie. Afterwards, I walked my meal off for an hour to the venue where I had my show. Honestly, it was in a bit of a sketchy area. I got there super early and went into a run down bookstore. It was sad really. There were three people reading awkward slam poetry on an amp--which is weird because they were their own audience. The show was REALLY BAD. We bombed big time. In a way though, I appreciated the experience since we all survived and learned from it (I SHOULD DO THIS MORE IN REAL LIFE). We grabbed drinks after and I got to know them a little bit better. We all laughed it off, and I weirdly felt better about myself. Beforehand, I felt like I was worthless, and if I bombed, that was affirmation of that, but instead I felt better after because I faced the fear. Now I should do this with women. Speaking of! In the middle of my train ride home, I hit up Tinder, and I worked out a date tomorrow! Really changed my approach with this, and I felt much better and more congruent with my conversation. What a weird week.
  10. RB1

Journal

Day 34: Past one month! Been on vacation for a few days. Been having a great time, but it's a little hard to avoid the cravings during times where I'm just relaxing. Don't feel like posting much here while I'm on break. Been doing good though! I download the Kindle app on my phone and have been reading two books. The main one is, "How the Internet is Changing out Brains" by Nicholas Carr and the side one is, "Animal Farm" by George Orwell of course. I really need to make a post about Nicholas Carrs book when I'm done with it. It's been confirming many suspicions I've had in the past couple of years with how my mind is starting to feel regularly due to increased use of the internet and video games. It's absolutely worth a read, especially for people in our position. It's just another reminder for me to stay away from video games and to decrease my time on the internet as well as the way I utilize it. I'll talk about this soon when I'm through with the book. Went to the gym for the first time in I think a month yesterday. Damn I'm sore! It's the good kind of sore though! The kind that reminds you, you need to get back to work and want to get back to work. I'm going to go again tomorrow! Hopefully I keep this up. I can't believe it's been more than a month into my detox! I've only felt better since beginning this program and I know things will only continue to get better. A few of the things I've been trying to forcefully implement into my life have been coming a bit more naturally, which is my dream come true. This method of avoiding gaming and just letting the rest of my life be, is certainly working better for me as of now. Trying to force activities and exercise just wasn't working for me. I'm just gonna go with the flow till I hit a wall, then I'll start making changes. Loving life at the moment 🙂 If you're reading this, please let me know what you think about the below!!! On day 1 or 2, when I decided to commit to the detox, I said that I'd stay away from gaming alone (including online gaming) and gaming content like youtube gaming channels, twitch, and twitter for 90 days. However, I also said once I get back to my normal life, (I've been away from home, staying with my family for about two months to do an internship. I'm currently on vacation before going back to my regular life next week.) on day 42, I'd allow myself to play video games with friends as long as I'm in the same room with them, side by side. I've been contemplating whether to actually allow myself to do this or not, and I've decided I would. I just miss hanging out with my friends back home and playing some games together when we do get to hang out. I've made it clear that my main issue is staying away from gaming content more than playing video games throughout my detox, so I think this is ok for me. HOWEVER, I've decided if this causes my cravings for binge watching gaming content to surge, I will explain to my friends what I've been going through with this gaming detox and avoid hanging out with them at least till the 90 days is up.
  11. Yesterday
  12. TTT

90 days

Day 57 (fri): Habit Tracker: Good habits: 105; Procrastination: -690; Addictions: -57; Other bad habits: -19; Identity total: -661 To use the counter right away with ok/not ok.
  13. Ikar

Ikar's Diary

Day 118: I felt a bit smashed for the whole day. I managed to push through though and have a good day. I went outside and wrote. Tomorrow: Podcast GQ, walk 2-3, write to people, cook, book+write, laundry, GRS.
  14. Day 51 - Amazing mood and this girl Yesterday and today was fucking amazing. I thought I would have an uninteresting time at the festival. But it turned out amazing. So this girl who is a friend of a friend came to the festival. We didn't expect her, she just happened to find us. We didn't like the music on the main stage, so me and her went to listen to some punk rock. I'm not a big punk rock fan. But this girl is crazy, she made listening to it so enjoyable. She was so energetic. Later on we went to the trap music stage and had an amazing time there as well. I don't remember when was the last time I had this much fun. I knew this girl from before, but damn she's a lot more interesting than I thought. Later, we sat down and talked for probably about an hour. I usually find it hard to find a topic to talk about. But it was quite easy actually. The conversation flowed like water. She really made my day. I could listen to her all day. I spent the whole day today thinking about her. I just couldn't get her out of my head. Now, I don't know what I should do with these thoughts and emotions. Do I have these feelings because of high sex drive? Is it because I haven't been interested in a relationship before, and that's why this feels special? Do I trully like this chick? Or is it a current emotion. I don't know. Hell, i don't even know if she's interested in me. Sadly I won't be able to explore these feelings more since she's out of town for the next 2 weeks. The upside is we exchanged phone numbers and we both agreed it'd be nice to hang out again. I'm excited but I don't want to give these thoughts too much attention. I haven't been in situations like this, so I'm not gonna think of it as unique, but as like a first try with women. Be sure to leave your opinions in the comments. How have your experiences in these first steps with women been? What should think of as real and over exaggerated feelings? That's all for today, really couldn't think of anything else. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY😊😊
  15. Today is my 6th day which is almost over of my detox. Today and yesterday there were 0 cravings. Today I also did not procrastinate about doing work when I get home from school like I normally do. It feels pretty amazing to not be controlled by my energy levels right now. I learned a saying earlier that said if you say you can’t you must. So I’m going to remember that every time I want to give up or procrastinate or whatever the situation is. I’m going to a school football game tonight and I’m falling more in love with a certain girl and she already said I’m adorable and all but she doesn’t think I’m for her but I really hope somehow I could change her mind this year. She is super nice and funny and good looking. But that’s been my day so far so I guess I’ll see you guys tomorrow. P.s. this is my longest streak of no games!
  16. Yesterday forgot to write journal so I'll quick post it this morning. Day 11 - New tattoo. Woke up early around 7am made lunch, took a shower, read a little bit, chatted for a while and got ready for my tattoo appointment which was at 12. Got there right on time and prepared for the session which lasted around 3 hours. Got my beautiful monarch and now I'm closest to my full arm tattoo goal hehe. After that went to a 5pm meeting, then staying for the 6:30pm meeting and after that went to a 8pm meeting at another group. Got home around 10pm and made dinner for myself, which was eggs with tortilla and some sausage, after that read for like an hour and then it came...depression started and didn't stop until 3am. First I had urges to smoke a cig, then to drink a bottle of tequila (my brother has one hidden), also had some gaming craves but I knew it would just make me feel more bad since I will lose my progress and with a little bit of concience that I have right now I know is meaningless to do any of those...Read a little bit, and started to write the reasons that led me to depression, what was I feeling on it and also how to handle it better in the future and what to do best. That was it. Got to sleep at 4am and now I'm writing this and getting ready to start my new day and It will be a better day. GL.
  17. I'm back from a relapse. I don't have a lot of time to share right now, but I want to check in. I'm at day 3 without gaming. It feels like a week. I'm sad and bored even as I am doing all the activities that are supposed to help me through. I know that they are, it's just a matter of letting the brain adjust. I've gone through the detox before, I can do it again.
  18. Great job with this. I, along with multiple people in our situations, have the same issues with anxiety, depression, and hypochondria. Anxiety causes all of it. Gamers have high anxiety because of how demanding it is and how it can bombard our minds while doing real life issues. Most gamers are tricked because they relax and feel they escape their stress in games, but that turns to toxicity after a while because if the game goes bad on top of real life then that's two worlds destroyed for them. I'm also seeing a doctor next weekend regarding medication. Although I've been boxing, rock climbing, and socializing more and my stress has gone down big time. I haven't felt depressed in weeks after reaching my lowest point 3 weeks ago. I've also been able to work on hobbies and give myself a break when needed. Take your time, try not to worry. Live your life and through living you'll begin to crave activities. I saw a boxing studio and felt the need to exercise because of stress. I'm now training 2 hours a day there. It's amazing.
  19. Tzen1

Tzen's Journal

Days 53 and 54 (Writing on day 55) Thanks for the motivating words @BooksandTrees the mind can be such a prick sometimes. So came back from the doctor after having a couple of tests done and everything is normal. Depression, Anxiety, and panic attacks all bundled up with hypochondria; its amazing how much mental health plays a role in our bodies. A couple years back I attempted a semi-high dose of depression medication that threw me for a loop. I was scared since then to start them back up. After talking with my doctor the other day we decided to try a low low dose of a different brand of medicine and then half that pill to gradually build me up to the already low dose of a full pill. The hardest part about all of this is accepting that mental health is the problem. Coming to terms is hard but I feel better doing so and to help with my hypochondria you guessed it a second journal. This one is physical though and I have a little notebook I carry with me to write it all down. For the past couple of days its been especially tough. Teachers everywhere are starting there year again (shout out to @BrassWolf I hope your school year goes great!) and its been hard as me and my wife moved back down to be closer to family and its year 2 of not having a teaching job. Being a history teacher and not a coach is rough in the state of Texas. So jobs come far and few for me and not being able to teach and just be a substitute blows. While I am pursing extra certifications I decided I am going to work on my fall back career now in IT. I'm currently going through Cybrary,s lessons over network+ in order to work my way into the IT world. Having something to drive me now is helping me get back on my feet after knocking myself down so much. If any of you IT people have any tips and tricks I would love to know them. As for routines go my morning routine has been slipping a bit and going onto Reddit and Imgur a bit more although I am following Hong Kong right now. But night time has been great I have been doing better staying off my phone and reading my book which I am getting close to finishing! its been a long time since I finished a book this big! well that about sums it up right now for these past couple of days. Keeps your minds healthy and in shape people but don't be afraid to bring it up if you have no one to talk to. Cheers -Tzen
  20. Day 144 15.08.19 Gratitude journal Today I am grateful for the great weather Today I am grateful for having a great family. One amazing thing that happened/I did today ---- Workout/run more than 14k steps 7.5km running Meditation 10min in the morning 60min in the evening Visualisation and daily affirmation this time it is affirmation in the morning again 🙂 Reading (0hour of studying for the exam today) had not enough time for learning spanish nor was I able to study anything my wake-up time around 8:15 Weekly Goal(s) start waking up at 6:30am, study at between 5 and 8hours per day, have at least 2 perfect days in a row Monthly Goal to study at least 4 hours a day (or as average over the weeks), be more grateful for everything in life, find the joy of living in the moment, think hard about my values and what kind of person I want to be, find ways to avoid falling back to old habits in times of boredom especially now in the summer 3 Month Goal getting my degree or getting it nearly done during the summer, having a really productive life, living my life so that I am proud of it, avoid the comfort zone as much as possible What went well today: (NF:1/NW:0/NS:0/NC:60) had not enough time for spanish and at least a bit for meditation, additionally had an okayish evening run to releave some of my stress, did a whole lot of woodworking gardening and cooking to help at home (there was so much to do!!) but as a result -> What I could have done to make my day better -> no spanish 😞 no Tai-Chi 😞 no studying 😞 so I am happy to be back in my flat to get some of my things done on friday and saturday before I go on vacation What I will do differently tomorrow/What I have planned for tomorrow: wake up around 8, study at least 5 hours and some Tai-Chi!!, meet a friend at lunch, go to the gym working out in the evening Weekly summary, thoughts and improvements for the future ---- 
  21. You can do this! It sounds like you're having a tough time, but we all believe in you. Keep it up!
  22. Day 1,2,3: No gaming. worked so hard and lived happily and motivated.
  23. So I'm 28 right now, and it's been a long time that I don't get in a relationship (5 years or so). I thought that by moving to Canada things would change, I mean, myself basically. But I feel like it's getting worse with time, to the point that I feel lonely but I don't have the WILL to get into a relationship or to approach girls.. The last girl that I approached with the intention of getting a date? I can't remember. The last time I kissed a girl was last year was in this big festival in Brazil, 3 days of partying and free booze, with around 10k people. Everyone on that party was there to hook up, but I couldn't do shit. Luckily I hooked up with some random girl that I wasn't even attracted to - for a few seconds. The thing that annoyed the hell of me is, in this party, I remember that I was there with the intent of doing what everyone else wanted, but even if girls would stare at me, I couldn't do SHIT, even being a little bit drunk, I would just freeze and "enjoy the music". My point is.. I don't know how to date anymore, how to seduce, how to stop having this fear of rejection and just enjoy, you know? It's been 18 days that I haven't played games, and soon I will be starting dancing classes which I think is gonna help me. And I also have been going to gym for the past 5 months. But I feel like I didn't change a bit in matter of dating life since I haven't done anything focused on this matter. Have any of you guys gone through this? I wanna hear your stories and tips would also be appreciated 🙂 Thanks for reading all this drama
  24. Hahah yes!! this is one of my favorite shows, can't wait for new season ❤️
  25. I started my detox on August 14, 2017. It's now August 15, 2019. It's been two years having quit video games and I haven't relapsed, and my life has changed so much. I find so much pleasure in learning new things, improving myself and learning new skills. I spend more time with other people, I am unrecognizable. This journey has been amazing, and I'm happy to continue to live like this. I haven't even been on game quitters for almost a year. Hope the community is doing well, hope people are finding new things in life. Eli
  1. Load more activity