Sign in to follow this  
ElectroNugget

What's the Verdict on DnD and board games?

I'm just starting out and honestly, very eager to let go of videogames. I feel like they have indirectly led to a lot of the problems I have in my life. I will, of course, miss them, but at the same time, I can see the value in spending my time elsewhere.

That said, I'm curious how people feel about tabletop games such as DnD and other board games. When I first started trying to quit a few years ago on my own, I began to play more board games as a way to try and still game a bit but in a healthier way with real social interaction, events and a limited time frame (since I can't get other players to sit around for 15 hours with me).

Right now they make up a not insignificant part of my life, as I have slowly transitioned from daily videogaming to weekly DnD meetups, but I am prepared to let go of them as well if they are a problem.

Does anyone have any feelings/experiences with this? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I mean, weekly meetups with friends sounds like a positive. I ask yourself some other questions here instead, such as; 'Do I allow my weekly meeting to spill over and distract me from other activities or important events' and 'Do I prioritize my meetups to such an extent that I'm seeing negative impacts on my health or mental state'

The verdict is that we want everyone to achieve success in finding the best version of themselves, and honestly a recurring event like this can help vastly when we have troubles making plans to be social. I'd be careful if they are online not to get too sucked into your other 'self', as some people use that (moreso with MMO's like WoW) as a form of potent escapism

@JPAO Exactly! If you find yourself focusing on the "game" during the week, and cant wait to play again, then you might have a problem there. But if its just an activity you do with friends, then I see no harm in it. The same thing can be told of "social drinkers", when the fact of drinking/playing has priority over friends. 

As someone who has had serious problems gaming in the past, to someone that's now a DM of a regular DnD group, I feel like there's no real answer to this.

It's all dependent on you.

Like @dahankus said, if you're spending your whole week obsessed with the game, and are constantly anxious to get back to playing DnD, then it's probably not for you.

However, if you're like me and absolutely love fantasy and need something to scratch that itch that isn't gaming, and you don't have a problem with playing DnD, then go ahead and roll those dice!

It's a great way to be social, gives you some routine and structure, and it's super fun.

One issue you might encounter is if the people you play with are gamers, or are constantly talking about games. If you get triggered easily it might be worth having a conversation with them.

But, in my opinion, I say go for it!

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's very helpful.

There have been times where I got obsessed with a character idea outside of the game and spent a lot of time on it needlessly, I suppose it's just important to be mindful of how and when you are spending the time.