Question of the week: What's your favourite quote?

Sign in to follow this  
nekoexmachina

Are dance and physique games a no-go during detox?

Hey!

I'm a big fan of dance machines (DDR) and dance games (xbox's just dance).

What do you guys think? Is that a thing that you think could be done during detox? (after detox without risk of going down the spiral?)

4 hours ago, nekoexmachina said:

Hey!

I'm a big fan of dance machines (DDR) and dance games (xbox's just dance).

What do you guys think? Is that a thing that you think could be done during detox? (after detox without risk of going down the spiral?)

This depends imho on how you feel if you doing them. If it feels comparable to you playing "normal" games (i.e. escape from hard stuff, not relaxing, wasting away instead of achieveing smth) I would evade them. If it feels different it may be a fun activity you can do from time to time. This depends on the person playing them.

• Like 1

I would be careful. I once had a therapist give me the comparison to somebody with an alcohol addiction. Imagine somebody who drinks liters, gallons, boatloads of beer. But at the same time he loves it. He likes brewing, the whole science and culture behind it... But he's still an addict. Passionate about beer, but still addicted to it and it's harmful. 

But he's also a fan of whiskey. Different type of drink, ingredients, brewing process, history. But still an alcoholic beverage. Whereas he used to drink beer by the boatload, he would only drink one or two glasses of the finest single malt. He would argument he's an alcoholic but that the whiskey is fine.

It's, in the end, sadly, still an alcoholic who has let something beyond his own mind and free will, take control of him. And he'll use any and all arguments to get that fix.

I'm not saying it's forbidden. But what I am saying, if I'm saying anything at all, is that you should be very mindful. I've been playing D&D with my friends and even that can be a gateway to old habits, I've noticed. Just keep an eye on yourself and remain critical  of your inner monologue telling you it's okay and all under control ;-)

Ever tried real dancing? It's an awesome skill to have, and since you like DDR games I guess you'd probably like dancing. Also when sticking to it for some time you'll develop the ability to dance freestyle - so you don't have to stick to the given set of songs like in DDR. 

\_o_/
 _/ \_