NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Rage problems

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I'm glad to be back again. This is completely unrelated to gaming but about life. Today I was playing football with my swim team and I was guarding this guy, let's call him X. So I was trying to stop X from getting the ball when he elbowed me in the stomach. I felt a sharp pain at first but then a burst of rage followed shortly after. "I want to KO this guy and send him to the ICU right now", I thought to myself. However, I saw how everyone else was having fun, and because I did not want to ruin the fun for everybody, I controlled my anger and moved on. Now sitting at my desk, I think to myself: if this happens again, should I go ahead and go full Mike Tyson mode on X and rip his face off? Or should I suck it up and move on?

19 minutes ago, hemonkey said:

It's been a long time since I've posted here but I'm glad to be back again. This is completely unrelated to gaming but about life. Today I was playing football with my swim team and I was guarding this guy, let's call him X. So I was trying to stop X from getting the ball when he elbowed me in the stomach. I felt a sharp pain at first but then a burst of rage followed shortly after. "I want to KO this guy and send him to the ICU right now", I thought to myself. However, I saw how everyone else was having fun, and because I did not want to ruin the fun for everybody, I controlled my anger and moved on. Now sitting at my desk, I think to myself: if this happens again, should I go ahead and go full Mike Tyson mode on X and rip his face off? Or should I suck it up and move on?

A swimming team that also does football, sweet! 

Hey Hemonkey, I'm also hanging around the forum for awhile again too. I have also had a momentary flash of rage recently, which I've put down to mostly the 9pm-3am sleep I had the night before, but also being close to finishing a gaming objective (my addiction, if I'd cared to give it a voice, would have said I was wasting time being social at the event (grouped basketball). 

The offence committed was real, sure, but I believed strongly enough that it should have been treated as an isolated incident, even if my offender actually did feel malice in the moment that he pushed me (edit: he wasn't facing me, staring me off or calling me names or anything, after all). Since I joined the group, at least, I knew I was one of the older ones, and so have tried to be the bigger/wiser 'man' in most situations. What bothered me, upon reflection, was that he is married and older than any of us, and in the same captaining position I am.

In the end though, it was the many unsuccessful attempts at controlling my anger in younger years past, and the times where I let the offences slide. that won out and said 'take a break'. Perhaps regrettably, I also used my mental fallback of 'let potential psychos be psychos' until someone who is actually defenceless is on the receiving end - then demands to take the hit for them may be viable. I still don't think it should ever come to that. My offender had only just met me, and it was probably his way of determining what sort of friend I could be to them, if at all. That is what I decided.

So good luck - mature sporting 'overzealousness' is a thing, according to my Dad - trying to forgive, even if you can't forget, is my advice.

~ Matt

Edited by wheatbiscuit