Is Minecraft just at the weekends too high risk? (only 5 year old!)

AimlessUK

I have a student who's 5 years old. He's just started showing an absolute obsession for Minecraft. I know his mother well and she hasn't let him play much; only a few hours at the weekend. Never during the week.

She debated letting him play it at all.

I haven't played this game much, but like his mum, I'm tempted to let him play it, even though he looks like very high risk to get addicted.

This is because on the one hand, this is making him a lot smarter. His 3D spatial skills are improving and this is starting to improve his pre-reading skills with less letter rotations etc. When we talked about the game, he came across as at least a year more developed cognitively. I've never seen him like this before.

But on the other hand, in the last lesson he mentioned the game maybe 30x in an hour, and frankly, he seemed already obsessed to the point of broken. Looking at this game, there's a lot of LUDIC LOOPS and he's surely fallen into a few of them already. Minecraft was recently voted the most addictive game of all, after all. I just found that he doesn't even meet the minimum age requirements to play the game.

I guess what I'm looking for is to give me a bit of a push to say bye-bye to the benefits of the game, because I don't think they're worth it, but I'm not entirely sure because the benefits are also quite extreme.