NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

"it's addictive" — the morality of the statement

pdallair91

During my recent relapse, I was watching a lot of video reviews of the game I was playing.  I don't remember exactly which video said that but I do remember hearing "it's addictive" like its a good thing.  It's clear that when the game has micro-transactions that one is less likely to consider it ethical for the game to be addictive.  It disgusts me a little that someone would praise something because it can likely leads to harmful (and therefor excessive) levels of consumption.  It probably wasn't that person's intention — it's likely they're pretty ignorant — but I can't help but feel like addiction, and by extension people suffering from it, get downplayed here; like it's "no big deal".  Honestly, I wish I could tell this person how serious of a problem addiction can be.  Personally, I don't see how calling something "addictive" ever ought to be framed as anything other than a warning.  Like, I wish it was more obvious to the general public how addiction implies self-destructive behavior.  Maybe then we wouldn't so non-nonchalantly encourage people to engage in addictive behavior.

Do you feel like people and the media downplay/trivialize the impact of addictive substances or content?  How do you feel when people encourage you to engage in addictive behavior?  How do you react in such cases?  What would be more ideal for you?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the company you're with. Game reviews are going by done by people to people who are excited about the topic. It's as if you went to a bar and asked the regulars about alcohol - it's not exactly a mirror of the society as a whole, just a few guys who enjoy drinking more than the average person and that's why they are together.

The bigger issue is that I overall feel like the West has somewhat degenerated to solve non-issues (while I still think it's currently the best place to live in - I live in Czechia) and that many people have lost track of what's meaningful, because we have such abundance. I think that's why the nationality structure of GQ is what it is - mostly North America, Europe and then the occasional outlier. Many people in poorer countries just don't have the luxury of time or money to get addicted to games. One guy whom I listen to stated that the war in Ukraine might rudely awaken people in Europe/North America to solve relevant issues again, instead of microaggressions, genderism or climate change. I hope that will be the case.

As for encouraging addictive behavior, the solution is to say "no" or to change the environment and to be cool with the change even if nobody from the original environment joins you. Smokers and smokers-quitters can still get along quite well, as I've never seen anyone go together for a "smoking evening". Bar drinkers might meet again in some neutral venue without drinking, but it's far less likely that it'll work, as that's a big change. Online gamers have even less options - you just turn off the Internet and I stop existing in your world.

Environment and "quit drinking and someone will buy you a shot" reminded me of this article: https://www.raptitude.com/2017/07/wise-people-have-rules-for-themselves/