Daily Journal

mrmmartin

Day 24/25

Saw my sister and nephews for the first time in 4 months. Really happy to see them. Finally packed away my gaming computer, will list it over the next few days to make some extra money. 

• Like 1

Day 27/28

Almost at the 30 day mark. I've been back at work the last few days, finally on-site after around 3-4 months of working from home. Really good to see old colleagues in person. I am finding that my communication has really improved over the last few years and I am becoming more and more confident expressing my opinions in a group setting. 

I have a lot on over the next few days. We are in the process of either selling or renting out our house, I am in talks with a mortgage broker and accountant looking at the different tax implications of selling. I have a major exam coming up in November, it's a literacy and numeracy exam which I will need to score in the top 30% to pass (One of the requirements for teaching in Australia). I also have my teacher interview coming up in the next few days that I need to prepare for.

I definitely feel a little bit overwhelmed with everything happening at once, but, also excited to start these new chapters in my life. I know that if I was playing games it would only add to my stress because I would dedicate the majority of my time to that.

The other night my in-laws brought up a time that we all played together, it really brought back feelings of nostalgia that made me miss gaming. Looking back the social aspect of gaming is truly remarkable and I think something that continuously draws us in. 

Hope everyone is doing well and achieving their goals.

• Like 1

Day 30

Nice little milestone. Going well, have a lot on at the moment. 

One thing I want to stop is joining in with people who talk negatively about others or the current situation. I find myself angrier and complaining more when I hang around people that are negative. It is really not me and I need to stop. 

Venting in the workplace is important especially in a mentally/emotionally taxing workplace. I sometimes think that I join in to fit in socially rather than express how I truly feel. I am aware of what I am doing so hopefully I can build some strategies to combat this.

• Like 1

Day 31

Average day, cramming some study in late tonight. I've organised a lot of meetings that I have for next week. My results came in today, they were not the best but I passed everything so I can finally casual teach. I just need my accreditation to be processed, exciting times ahead. It's so funny though that even though I have achieved something I have been trying to achieve for like 4 years you always push the bar further, it's actually insane.

I haven't really talked to a lot of my friends that I played games with. I might try reach out and try build those relationships around other hobbies.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 12:00 PM, mrmmartin said:

Average day, cramming some study in late tonight. I've organised a lot of meetings that I have for next week. My results came in today, they were not the best but I passed everything so I can finally casual teach. I just need my accreditation to be processed, exciting times ahead. It's so funny though that even though I have achieved something I have been trying to achieve for like 4 years you always push the bar further, it's actually insane.

Good job!

On 10/22/2021 at 12:00 PM, mrmmartin said:

I haven't really talked to a lot of my friends that I played games with. I might try reach out and try build those relationships around other hobbies.

Try it, if you know them in person. I'd argue I just use the social hobby in order to connect with the other person, because overall I think the "factual" things like sharing hobbies are not that important for a meaningful relationship. I think being able to relate to and sympathizing with other people on a mental level is far more conductive (talking about opinions, experiences, feelings) for creation of such relationships.