NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

I regret buying my Switch.

I got into Game Quitters quite a while ago actually, but with the intention of learning to moderate rather than quitting altogether.
I did a 30 day and then later 60 day detox. I actually did find myself with a healthier relationship to gaming when all was said and done!

But now I find myself utterly sick and tired of video games in general.
Part of my apprehension to quit gaming entirely for good was that Animal Crossing New Horizons was coming out and I've been a fan of the series since I was 6 years old. I got bored within a month.

I spent all that money on my Switch, accessories, and several games that I got just to pass the time between then (mid December) and ACNH's launch date... I'm in a very privileged living situation in which I have only a phone bill so it's not a super big deal but it's still money that could have been put elsewhere. 

I find myself with little interest to play even games that have good worthwhile stories when I can just watch them on YouTube, generally on 2x speed and only in short bursts. (I'm also no longer addicted to YouTube which is a huge feat for me, so the number of games I'd actually watch are quite small.)

Especially with having just miscarried my first and so far only pregnancy, my life has been put into perspective in many ways lately, and I find myself longing for a future in which I play little to no games.

I still consider keeping a few around, like the Sims, simply for the creative aspects. I like using the Sims as an architectural tool more than anything, time spent building houses feels productive and creative whereas level grinding for hours does not. Same goes for Creative mode Minecraft with mods that make building much less tedious. If I can be creating something it feels a lot more meaningful.

Ironically COVID and my miscarriage both helped me reach this point, because I played a lot more in the last couple of months and it's really opened my eyes to how much time I've wasted over the years. I don't regret all of it but I do regret a lot of it. I yearn to relearn how to live as I did in my childhood, lost in thought and imagination.

I'm finally creating art and reading again, after a few weeks of severe depression following the loss. It's time for me to start living real life again and face the future head on. Sorry for writing a novel here, it was quite therapeutic to get it all out though!

• Like 4

I'm sorry for your loss.  I also started to game more once the pandemic started.  I would spend all day online and not really get anything done.  Eventually I decided it wasn't worth it to keep playing anymore, and I wound up here.  I would still consider playing games that are in-person and social, like card games and board games.  But I am done playing games by myself.  I don't want to get addicted again.

• Like 1