Listen to Cam and James Discuss eSports In Episode 2 of Gaming the System!

How many times relapsing, is enough??

Hi guys...

Since Sunday I have been playing videogames with a sense of wanting to do it. Its the time for "relapsing" since april. I am just wondering if there is a point where I should just give up trying and try to moderate. The reason I am asking is because I feel like I am joke and I am joking you guys. Every time  I "relapse" I think feel like I am lying to you guys and to my self, and that makes me feel like shit.

What do you guys think? Have you also relapsed several times and what did you do to get back "in the game"?

Dude i don't play games several months and in my mind still pop up that voices of suggestions: buy Nintendo Switch it's a lot of fun. Or Playstation have Days of play so console  is cheaper. Mind trick you very well and also remember that mind have tactical advantage over you.

You are no joke man! You are willing to do something with your life. It's very good starting point. Just figure out whats works for you. 

2 hours ago, katsudo19 said:

. Mind trick you very well and also remember that mind have tactical advantage over you.

Yeah this is very true indeed. 

Its very easy to rationalize gaming to me so I usually Fall for that. But I Can really quickly feel a loss of attention to other actual important stuff that needs to be done. 

Thanks 🙂 

I relapsed recently after convincing myself that I wanted to play games. They were fun, and my favourite game was getting a new expansion.

I tried to play in moderation and it worked fine for a few days, but that's when things went wrong.

Before I knew it I had spiralled deeper and deeper in gaming hell, and I was horribly depressed playing and thinking about games at every waking moment.

It took a couple of weeks before I decided to quit again, and it wasn't an easy decision to make. Especially after I was game-free for 8 months.

Basically, you have to look to the future and think about whether or not the person you want to become is achievable by playing video games all the time.

If you can manage it no problem, then feel free to game. If not, maybe you should look at what you're actually trying to accomplish by playing them.

It's up to you, and no one is going to be able to tell you an exact solution. But, we're always here to offer support when you need it. Never feel like you're a joke to us, we're all on this journey together and guess what? It's really f****** hard. We all make mistakes, and that's just part of the experience. At the end of the day, you're going to be a better person because of all of these struggles.

Remember, the day that you stop trying to succeed is the day that you begin to fail.

• Like 2

I can guarantee you that if you're struggling, moderating is not going to work. If you haven't tried it, you can try it just to see how pointless it is. 

I've been seriously fighting my addiction for 1.5 years. The longest I've gone without gaming was about 2 months, so I can very much relate. For me, there is no "giving up". Not in some honorable, poetic Rocky Balboa sense. But in the sense that, there literally is no other option. I will either be clean and mentally strong OR a miserable low self-esteem useless clump of DNA material. It's either fight or die, thus I keep fighting. That being said, you must recognize what is working and what is not working. I knew I had to really bring out big guns because I cannot trust my brain at any point, no matter how good I might feel. So I'm going to CGAA meetings EVERY day, I gave up my comfort zone of hiding by getting a roommate and many other things. It's about how serious are and what you're willing to do to quit. 

Yeah, if you feel like moderating, you can try it. But i've heard repeatedly it doesn't work and didn't work for me. I managed to go two weeks before slipping back into it. I've tried systems where I reward myself with it (Pomodoro), restricted myself to 'friends only' and 'weekends only'. Try it yourself and you'll at least learn more about yourself. Everyone's journey is different.

Getting back into quitting is the hardest step imo. That probs applies to most addictions. A half hearted attempt at quitting anything doesn't work either. One relapse for me will set me into it for a few weeks. Some people relapse and can't stop for a few months.

There's no advice here about moderating. The best thing you can do is give it all you got and go cold turkey. Nobody knows if they'll go back to gaming, but 'taking a break' for 90 days helps you understand and learn more about it. Some people do go back to gaming in a healthy way too (That definition is individual based). If there was moderation, everyone would do it. Those that did go back in a healthy way, spent time away from it first to develop new, better habits.

Edit: Grammar/Spelling

Edited by TwoSidedLife
Spelling/Grammar
  • Like 1